Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Tie Case?

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
Some of you may or may not know this, but I have been wearing a suit and tie for any occasion that was "nice" or "dressy", with a regular shirt, slacks, or sweater as casualwear (this can be discussed in another thread; I have ALWAYS, even as a child, had that mentality); as a result, I would occasionally dress up to school (for musician purposes; wearing a backpack with suspenders is uncomfortable), and, since I am currently small, I have a large collection of vintage ties, as modern ties are just too long and wide for me.

My former Physics teacher in High School, most likely a Baby-Boomer, took note of the ties, and said that his father wore very similar ones back when he was in High School, circa the late 1950s. Now, one day, he told me to follow him to his office, and he began to tell me how he found a very old steamer trunk full of very old things, and how he was trying to clean out his house. While going through the trunk, he found what you see below. He decided to save it and give it to me, as I was the only person he knew who would appreciate it, and he was going to throw it out anyway. He thought that it was a tie case that father probably used in the 1920s and the 1930s, but he wasn't very sure, and neither am I, which is why I ask the experts if this is a vintage tie case:

10-19-14007_zpsec419662.jpg

10-19-14009_zps862f47ba.jpg

10-19-14010_zps14814e0a.jpg

10-19-14012_zpsf4deb2b0.jpg

It is made of a very fine leather, and I my first guess was that it was either part of a kit or something from the military, but he wasn't in the military at any point. Perhaps it was the packaging for a mail-order tie? Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially how it works or how many ties it holds (I'm thinking one or two, as that's how many 1930s ties can be "looped" through the leather bands).

-Quetzal

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I know nothing about the way they shipped ties back then, but that font on the front which says "Ties" looks a lot like an Art Nouveau font.

Bugguy

Practically Family
Here's one I picked up many years ago. Unfortunately, I misplaced the picture of the inside. It has a metal loop with a coat hanger hook so it can be hung on a rod, door, etc.

IMG_9662.jpg

IMG_9663.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner