Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Wedding Dresses

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
Decobelle said:
The suit is my favorite wedding look too. A lot of the 40s pinup girls/starlets got married in suits, like Rita (with Orson Wells in 1943)

Lauren Bacall (with Bogart in 1945)
47b7cf33b3127ccebf8499dcffc900000025100JZOG7Zm1Yo

:eek:fftopic: What a great photo of those two. They look so happy and relaxed. :)

Gigi

New in Town
I'm thinking of doing the suit look when I get married. Either that or a shorter '50s style dress. I like the suit because it's quite original (these days, at least) and it just look so good, in my opinion. I also don't plan on having a huge wedding or making a huge fuss about it, I'm just throwing a huge party afterward. A dramatic dress will be out of place. I'm sorry, this thread isn't about me!!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I was staying at a friend's summer house this weekend and I noticed this picture. I'll have to ask what year the wedding was but I love the bride's attire and the fact that she's wearing glasses. I'd guess this was sometime in the 1920s.

ellenwedding2.jpg

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
maisie said:
Here is a picture of the wedding dress:

wed1.jpg

The whole outfit was fairly cheap actually the dress was about $40 and the headpiece which is gorgeous, it is a Art Deco shape made of out cream and oyster coloured seed pearls, was only $10!!!!:eek:

LOVE this look.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
anna_newman said:
Everyone looks so lovely!

Since it was my anniversary yesterday, I'm indulging myself and posting photos of my 2003 wedding in New Orleans. Actually, it was our second ceremony because when my husband and I got married, we didn't do the civil ceremony, just the religious; for financial reasons we waited till he was done with school. The first wedding was a big family extravaganza, but for our "civil" wedding, we eloped to New Orleans. Two friends of ours came along as our witnesses.

We were married in a tiny private ceremony at an antebellum mansion http://www.houseofbroel.com/ near the French Quarter. I sure hope Ms. Broel's business and amazing home haven't suffered too terribly from Katrina.

My vintage dress was given to me by a family friend who is kind of like a second mom to me. It has a matching blush colored coat, but it was too warm in NOLA to need it. My DH was roasting in his suit (poor thing--his sleeves needed lengthening too and we ran out of time).

signing_wedding.jpg

nola_wedding.jpg

I highy recommend having a "fun" renewal of vows just the way you want it if you felt a bit overwhelmed by a traditional family wedding.
And really, any excuse to wear another vintage gown is good, right?? ;)

Love the color of your gown, it matches the toile wallpaper!!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
We're holding an event in June here in England and I thought you might like to see a couple of the publicity shots for the 'fake' 1940 wedding we're holding!
DSCF0043-2.jpg

DSCF0041-1.jpg

June 14th and 15th Sledmere House if anyone wants to come let me know!
Kate

(the 'bride' and 'groom' are friends of mine-Shelley and Ramsay)

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been really enjoying this thread and thought you ladies might like to see my wedding dress.

wedding1.JPG

When my favorite Aunt died, she left me a small amount of money, which covered the price of the dress + embroidery you see. I told my Uncle I felt she was with us that day since she made the dress possible.

wedding2.JPG

The silk Victorian-inspired wedding dress was made by a costumer in Berkeley (She has since passed away), and all the lace and trim was hand-beaded by Christine James of The Needlewoman. She also hand-embroidered the train with Hand-Dyed French Silk Ribbon Emroidery.

wedding3.JPG

The top is Victorian, and the lace on the sleeves was purchased at a garage sale for .10. I had it cleaned, repaired, split into two sections and made into sleeves by Lacis in Berkely, CA. The raw silk for the dress and the silk chiffon for the sleeves I bought - I simply purchased a bolt of raw silk for the wedding dress. The bottom two-piece skirt was made from an Edwardian picture I found. The headpiece is beaded silk,, and made from scraps from the dress.

wedding4.JPG

I wore a corset and a lace edged skirt underneath the dress.

wedding5.JPG

Pictures were taken by Deanna Graham Photography, who has since retired. Here's a close up of Christine's work:

wedding6.jpg

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Wow, the work on that!!!! beautiful and an heirloom to pass on too and so lovely that your aunt made it possible.
:)

The 'fake' wartime wedding we did went well, although I did two hairstyles as we had to do it twice, (sat/sun)

The dateline was 1940 so I wanted more of a celia Johnson look, but noone liked it on the bride as she doesn't suit her bangs off her face. So Sunday was less authentic but suited her better.

Day one: the more late 30s hair, inspired by Celia Johnson
sledmereweddinggroup.jpg

Celia Johnson:
celia-johnson-3.jpg

Day two: Less authentic (bangs wouldn't stay rolled at all....) but the back looked nice
sledmereweddingcouple.jpg

This is how day two looked under the veil.
hair02.jpg

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Betty, your dress is absolutely GORGEOUS. Wow. I would love to have one like that when I renew my vows. Hubby and I went to Vegas to get married (saved a ton of money, that's for sure) and I didn't have the typical white wedding dress, so he promised me I could go all out for the renewal ceremony. :)

The Shirt

Practically Family
Kitty- Question for you. Are the flowers something that would be authentic to the time? If so -how/where did you find this information? I am starting to compile information on having either a post war themed wedding or an early 50's one. I have run into a roadblock in determining what flowers might be appropriate.

The hairdo's look darling on the bride. I cannot wait to try all sorts of things out when it's my turn.

VB - well that dress is simply amazing. A museum piece - I really love that you re-designed the lace and top. That embroidery is so sweet too. You look gorgeous!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Vintage Betty--that dress is just insanely gorgeous--you can see the workmanship through and through.

In fact all of the ladies here are simply gorgeous in their wedding dresses.

I posted pictures of me in the late 30s vintage wedding dress on one of these wedding threads awhile back. I'm glad threads are getting merged!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Hello!

Well, the wedding was a copy of one that took place at the house in 1940 for real, she carried a really simple bouquet of Lilies and greenery. What I don't know is if the lilies were real or not? Possibly wax?

Most 40s British weddings the bride carries something seasonal and simple, but in the absence of nice new dresses you see a lot with floor length trailing bouquets of dianthus, fern and even silver paper leaves!

I have lots of original photos of WW2 weddings so if anyone would like a look just pm me!

K
x

o0olibelulao0o

Familiar Face
Here's my wedding dress...

Trying it on anyway... It's not exactly vintage... But it has a vintage-modern look to it...

on the model:
knnicof060013l.jpg

on me:
thedress002.jpg

thedress003.jpg

thedress004.jpg

I'd also like some styling ideas... Hair/Make-up? Jewelry? I'm at a loss... I have a veil that comes down around my elbow... And the dress (and my face) looks better with my hair down, but I kind of want my hair up or half up or... I have no idea... Here are some pictures I like...

mwa102418spr07embracexl.jpg

annebarge11211large.jpg

hair001.jpg

hair002.jpg

hair005.jpg

hair0002000.jpg

Suggestions?

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
I really love the first and third hairstyle pics you posted. They are elegant, still show off your hair since they won't be slicked back, and will probably be much easier to maintain through the day. I love your dress as well...my friends always make fun of me for looking at vintage wedding dresses when I don't have any plans to get married...or even a boyfriend! :eek:

Emer

One of the Regulars
I also loved Ashley Judd's dress in De-Lovely. Of course there's no decent picture of that scene but she was just gorgeous!

MV5BMTUwMTE3NTMxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDEwMzg2._V1._SX485_SY323_.jpg

MV5BMTQ3MjU1NDc5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODg2MjcyMQ@@._V1._SX294_SY400_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy