Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Wedding Dresses

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Gigi said:
I'm thinking of doing the suit look when I get married. Either that or a shorter '50s style dress. I like the suit because it's quite original (these days, at least) and it just look so good, in my opinion. I also don't plan on having a huge wedding or making a huge fuss about it, I'm just throwing a huge party afterward. A dramatic dress will be out of place. I'm sorry, this thread isn't about me!!

As we had to have a civil wedding in Ireland before our church wedding in France (for legal reasons) I got to pick two wedding day outfits - I wore a pale grey 1940's suit for our civil wedding and wore a long lace ivory halterneck dress and veil for our church wedding.

It was great to be able to wear a suit for one ceremony and wear a traditional wedding gown for the other. :)

Miss Caroline

Familiar Face
ffc0275fb4cddef0c10a181b4ee64354.jpg

having organised every inch of my future wedding - this is my dress that I will wear. With bridesmaids in dark red.

i'm not even engaged. :rolleyes:

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't get too attached to a future wedding look, unless you already have the man, and it's not too far off...

I know a young lady who had a very expensive Audrey Hepburn 60s style dress made, and at the last minute decided to wear 40s vintage that went much better with her and her hubby's enthusiasms - think of the money that could have gone toward the honeymoon!

I always thought I would do flapper, but ended up marrying a Mexican, so I went flamenco 30s instead. People change...

just_me

Practically Family
Emer said:
I also loved Ashley Judd's dress in De-Lovely. Of course there's no decent picture of that scene but she was just gorgeous!

MV5BMTUwMTE3NTMxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDEwMzg2._V1._SX485_SY323_.jpg

MV5BMTQ3MjU1NDc5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODg2MjcyMQ@@._V1._SX294_SY400_.jpg
All of Ashley Judd's clothing in De-Lovely was gorgeous.

just_me

Practically Family
I was married in a vintage 1930s wedding dress. Have to see if I have a picture scanned in anywhere. I loved that dress.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Miss Golightly said:
As we had to have a civil wedding in Ireland before our church wedding in France (for legal reasons) I got to pick two wedding day outfits - I wore a pale grey 1940's suit for our civil wedding and wore a long lace ivory halterneck dress and veil for our church wedding.

It was great to be able to wear a suit for one ceremony and wear a traditional wedding gown for the other. :)
Here, it's customary for a costume change during the after ceremony reception/dinner (or lunch depending on the time of the day). The change originally symbolized the transition from girl to woman, and for the woman to pick up and carry on the traditions of the family she married into.
Now, it's an excuse for the brides to wear a variety of attire, from modern/Western to traditional. Some will have as much as 5 costume changes.
Me, I wore a simple long wedding gown, handsewn by myself and my mother, for my church ceremony, and changed into a traditional bridal kimono after the cake cutting, while lunch was being served to the guests. :)

Mojito

One Too Many
Surreal009-1.jpg

My paternal grandmother's wedding dress...1932, from memory.

Wish I could post my other grandmother's wedding dress, which I think was late 20s...unfortunately my grandfather burned all the photos in a fit of temperamental pique.

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
I've found my great grandparents (on grandmothers side) wedding photo from 1920. I wouldn't say the dress is very fortunate, though! lol

Miss Caroline

Familiar Face
Miss 1929 said:
Don't get too attached to a future wedding look, unless you already have the man, and it's not too far off...

I know a young lady who had a very expensive Audrey Hepburn 60s style dress made, and at the last minute decided to wear 40s vintage that went much better with her and her hubby's enthusiasms - think of the money that could have gone toward the honeymoon!

I always thought I would do flapper, but ended up marrying a Mexican, so I went flamenco 30s instead. People change...

i've got the man, just waiting for the question. :p

The Shirt

Practically Family
50s style

There are some great, inexpensive 50s style dresses from Dolly Couture on ebay. I won't post an active auction - but the San Marino is just darling!

Inky

One Too Many
Here is my mother's wedding dress, 1958, Cuba:

3148795226_47a45cf517.jpg

And my maternal grandmother's wedding dress - also Cuba, circa early 30's, but I am not sure of the specific year. My mother couldn't recall why the hem of grandma's dress was so wrinkled :)

3147963245_c4c8dfabc3.jpg

mentha

Familiar Face
I want your mother's dress!!! *in love*
Mind if I save the picture for possible future inspiration? [If the BF ever decides to change his mind about marriage ;)]

Inky

One Too Many
mentha, do you mean my mom's dress? No, i don't mind, there is a bigger size here if you like (sorry for the poor quality it's a scan of a scan!). Somewhere I have more pictures of the dress with Mom in a standing position, I will try to find them and scan them for you, if you wish.

It was a beautiful dress, I only wish she could have gotten it out of Cuba, but at least we have photos!

mentha

Familiar Face
Oh, I'd love to see them! All I could think, seeing that picture was "WOW!!!"
The shape, the simplicity, the grace... it's amazing! A perfect example of less is more.
It's truly too bad the dress is out of the family, that would have been a wonderful piece to preserve.

CherryKrissy

Familiar Face
Oh I wish I had seen this before I got married! It would have been wonderful to walk down the aisle in a vintage wedding gown. We do plan on doing a vow renewal in a few years though, so I may still have my chance:)

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
A ? about vintage wedding dresses from the 30's: where any of them sleeveless or did all of them have sleeves? I know a lot of the 1930's 'style' dresses are sleeveless, but I have never seen a vintage one that is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy