Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Weddings

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
That's funny, C-dot. My mom (or actually, my great aunt did all the professional cleaning and boxing of it) saved her dress for me, in case I should want to wear it. Seeing as I was not at all into the over-the-top bridezilla mode, and just wanted to do the thing, it was fine with me to have a dress already waiting.
Of course, my parents married in 1961, so puffy sleeves weren't an issue. (your parents' wedding photo made me feel old, suddenly, as I married in '89.)

Mrs Beattie

New in Town
Ms. McGraw said:
Well my big day is still pretty far away, but we booked a venue for the ceremony and reception all in one! Since it's beautiful AND historic, I thought I'd share. It's going to be at the Canton Club, which is over 100 years old and was designed by the architect who did the ballroom on the Titanic. This is the front entrance hall and one of the sitting rooms:
1J.jpg
2.jpg

The service will be held in front of this fireplace (obviously the furniture won't be there!):
3J.jpg

This is the "man bar" where the cocktail hour will be held:
5J.jpg

I don't have any pics of the grand ballroom where the reception will be held but you'll have to trust me that it's beautiful. The pictures don't really show all the amazing woodwork and architectural detail but it's stunning in real life.

This is lovely, it reminds me a bit of the hotel/palace we stayed in on our honeymoon in Venice.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Christy, you don't look angry, you look lovely! Teeny-tiny waist. I love the gatherings in the train, it looks like fluffy clouds :)

ThesFlishThngs, don't feel old! My parents aren't old :) My dad literally still looks the same. My mum has longer hair and no longer wears makeup, but if she did she would look just as young as she was there. (She was 24 - she jokes about being a 'child bride' lol)

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
C-dot said:
Christy, you don't look angry, you look lovely! Teeny-tiny waist. I love the gatherings in the train, it looks like fluffy clouds :)

ThesFlishThngs, don't feel old! My parents aren't old :) My dad literally still looks the same. My mum has longer hair and no longer wears makeup, but if she did she would look just as young as she was there. (She was 24 - she jokes about being a 'child bride' lol)

If your mom was a child bride at 24...what would my mommy be at 19! Her and my daddy have been married for...almost 34 years!

Christy

One of the Regulars
Thank you C-dot and The Shirt. I think my dress is lovely, and suited for my figure, but I guess I just get dress envy when I see the mermaid style dresses and they just look so glamorous. I just need to keep reminding myself that I love my dress and that I like how it looks on me and I didn't like how the other style looked on me, or just stop looking at dresses. lol

Anyway, I found these invitations that are art deco inspired and I thought they were really pretty. http://www.galadesign.net/weddings.html Just thought I'd share in case anyone was looking for something like that. They are the black and white ones right under the green ones.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Those are amazing! I was thinking about a black & white French Deco, but those are way cooler. :)

Martini, I know lol My mum is a real joker. I don't think 19-24 is too young to get married at all, if you have the wherewithal and the right mate! Of course, the modern woman wouldn't hear of marriage before 40.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
C-dot said:
Martini, I know lol My mum is a real joker. I don't think 19-24 is too young to get married at all, if you have the wherewithal and the right mate! Of course, the modern woman wouldn't hear of marriage before 40.

Phew...Good thing I'm a vintage type of gal. ;)

hookhandlady

New in Town
Invitations & More

Hi everyone,
I am new at Fedora Lounge and also planning a vintage 1930s style wedding for next June. I was reading this thread early regarding wedding favors, I love the idea of cake but I will be baking cupcakes & cookies as welcome gifts for all the out of town guests (which is almost everyone).

Does anyone have any other ideas for wedding favors? We're trying to make our wedding as authentic to the era as possible, so less focused on "vintage-inspired" and more true "vintage". Also, here are some invitations I found with a great deco and nouveau style
http://www.elegantvintageinvitations.com/

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
hookhandlady said:
Also we recently did a great 1920s style engagement shoot (I sometimes can't decide if I love the 20s or 30s more;)) in some local vintage-y spots.

Beautiful shots. You remind me a lot of Louise Brooks :) Dapper future hubby too!

I wish we could afford to do that :(

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jordan almonds!

hookhandlady said:
Hi everyone,
I am new at Fedora Lounge and also planning a vintage 1930s style wedding for next June. I was reading this thread early regarding wedding favors, I love the idea of cake but I will be baking cupcakes & cookies as welcome gifts for all the out of town guests (which is almost everyone).

Does anyone have any other ideas for wedding favors? We're trying to make our wedding as authentic to the era as possible, so less focused on "vintage-inspired" and more true "vintage". Also, here are some invitations I found with a great deco and nouveau style
http://www.elegantvintageinvitations.com/

Really, they didn't do favors a lot. Favors used to be just a knot of ribbon in the colors, which came from the "favors" that a lady would give to a knight when he jousted, to show her support. So you could make ribbon favors, which are also nice and durable.
One thing they did do that I know if, was Jordan almonds in little paper cups with a pipecleaner handle, so it looks like a little flower basket. Easy, and inexpensive.
We didn't do favors, and they were not missed... we did do little bundles of birdseed to throw (rice is bad for birds).

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:
We didn't do favors, and they were not missed... we did do little bundles of birdseed to throw (rice is bad for birds).

Good point! I'm going to remember that for my wedding.

Does anyone else have any Golden Era tips or traditions for weddings?

Dutchess

Familiar Face
Not the Golden Age, but couldn't resist posting.
31th of March 2007. I designed the Victorian inspired dress together with a friend who is a seamstress, corsetmaker and she can draw patterns. My friend made the whole outfit. Skirt, underskirt, long underpants, corset (not showing, but in the same material as my husbands vest). She managed to pinch in my waist 3 inches, so I cannot wear the jacket without the corset. It was quite comfortable though!

bruiloft3.jpg

bruiloft2.jpg

bruiloft1.jpg

The pictures were taken by my sister in law. This is the main square in my hometown. We got married in the town hall. Very romantic!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Dutchess said:
The pictures were taken by my sister in law. This is the main square in my hometown. We got married in the town hall. Very romantic!

*swoon* What a fantastic outfit :eusa_clap That is so romantic.

I think men look so dapper in morning dress :)

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Re favours, the little bags of sugared almonds must have been around in the UK as I have the remnants of them from my grandparents wedding in 1932. It was little muslin bags or georgette/netting.

K

hookhandlady

New in Town
Thanks so much for your responses everyone, and C-Dot thanks so much for the lovely compliment, Louise Brooks is so beautiful! Have you ever tried looking on your local Craigslist (I think they have it in Toronto) for a photographer that wants to shoot vintage-style photos? Its a great way to get free engagement photos, and for the photographer to build their resume.

Dutchess-I love your outfits! You two are a smashing couple!

Thanks everyone for the favor ideas:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW