Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Weddings

texasgirl

One Too Many
The new issue of Brides, March/April 2007, has a great spread on having a 40s vintage-inspired wedding. Beautiful dress ideas- as well as hair and make-up

WHITE HEAT
The fabulous 40s make maximum impact in an array of arresting fashions-satiny fishtail skirts and glorious fit-and-flare shapes, these fabulous ’40s-inspired
fashions invite you to indulge your inner siren

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Thanks so much! Edith Head is (as far as I'm concerned) one of the biggest reasons we all love vintage fashion so much!! Her designs for films influenced everyday fashion for so many years- more than any film designer has done before or since!! :eek:fftopic:

Photomuse

Familiar Face
Hi Ladies!

Kim, my dear!...... I found my name on web stats and found you here on the board! What a pleasure!! (thank you for the referral!).

Cherry - I have absolutely been ITCHING to photograph a fun theme wedding. If you are interested, contact me and we can work something out. I tried to PM you but for some reason I am not allowed....... so please excuse this public outburst!

and with that, please accept this as my official hello to all of you stunning ladies on board!!

~all the bees knees~
Kristin

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
There's a fantastic book out there called Vintage Weddings by the same author as 1940s Hairstyles (Turudich) with just about EVERYTHING you'd need to know from the 1910s through the 1950s. :D

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Photomuse said:
Cherry - I have absolutely been ITCHING to photograph a fun theme wedding. If you are interested, contact me and we can work something out. I tried to PM you but for some reason I am not allowed....... so please excuse this public outburst!
Once you reach 15 posts here at the lounge the PM feature will work. 13 more to go!
P.S. I love your work on your site.

G

GoldLeaf

Photomuse: Such lovely work! I wish I could have afforded a photographer for my wedding. Most of them wanted $1,000 or more, which was a 1/3 of my budget! I ended up paying a local college kid in the art program to take my photos for $200. I got the rolls of film at the end, and I paid for a reprint of every photo for him.

He was a great landscape photographer, lousy at people. I got some amazing pictures of the ceremony, but he wasn't assertive at direting people during the poses, so people are slouching, staring at the ceiling, etc. I don't have one photo that has every person looking at the camera. And we didn't get a picture of us kissing or most of the "standard" pictures. Ah well, at least we have pictures.

I feel very sad sometimes when I see other people's beautiful pictures. I think if I could do it over again, I would find a way to get a more professional photographer. But what do you do when you have a very tight budget? I wasn't willing to go into debt for my wedding, and paid cash for everything. It was lovely, but to pay more for a photographer than my dress and reception combined!? I understand all the amazingly hard, hand work that goes into wedding photos, and that the time and talent is rare.

Because I was so poor, I had to make many modifications to the standard wedding style. I only invited 30 people, I held my ceremony at 7:00 to give people time to eat prior to arriving, and then simply served hours devours. I made everything, from my veil and garter, unity candles, cake topper, shoes and even made hand made paper for my invitations, envelopes, and programs. The wedding was outside, so my dad made the arch we stood under because we couldn't rent one large enough for my dress to fit under, lol. Of course there was a snafu that day with my hoop skirts and crinolines, and the dress didn't get as big as it was supposed to. :(

My ceremony music was a single harpist with a concert gand harp that cost $200. My table centerpieces were wildflowers from my mom's garden in her little vases she collects. My toasting glasses were a gift, the cake utensils were my grandmother's silver, my mom did my hair with cheap flowers from the dollar store.

A cousin made the bows to go on the chairs, I found a $1,200 Elizabethian style dress for $500, etc. My location was a mini-castle that was a restaurant. I chose an off-weekend so that I could rent a dining room for $50 instead of the banquet room (that was waaaay huge) for $300. I worked magic with $3,000.

Of course, it rained so hard that day that there we mud slides people had to detour around. No one got to enjoy the amazing gardens my ceremony was in, and I didn't get to have my pictures taken there. Nothing ever goes according to plan, does it? lol

I have elegant taste, but I hate debt and make crap money as a government employee. My parents are poor, and my in-laws work in factories so they couldn't help. What is a girl to do? I know I am not the only girl on the boards in this situation. How to get lovely pictures without shelling out your entire budget?

Thumbnails of the three best pictures, click to enlarge :) Can you tell I am happy? My smile is Humongous. I think you can see everyone of my teeth, lol. There is a TON of beadwork and embroidery on the dress, and a split skirt with an intricate underskirt, but it got all washed out.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Ah, Kristin! I was just scrolling along and saw that avatar and thought, "Hey! That looks just like...." and then it hit me ;) Welcome to the Powder Room, lurve!

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
GoldLeaf, You worked wonders with what you had and should be very proud of yourself!!!:eusa_clap Ever thought of hiring out your talents to those in a similar situation ? Your photos are lovely. Perhaps you could have a couple of professional photos taken just of you and your husband, if you wanted some more traditional ones. Just a thought, may be as an anniversary gift to yourselves one day.

G

GoldLeaf

goldwyn girl said:
GoldLeaf, You worked wonders with what you had and should be very proud of yourself!!!:eusa_clap Ever thought of hiring out your talents to those in a similar situation ? Your photos are lovely. Perhaps you could have a couple of professional photos taken just of you and your husband, if you wanted some more traditional ones. Just a thought, may be as an anniversary gift to yourselves one day.

Oh, thank you! You are too kind. It's amazing what you can do when it's something important to you :) And your idea is great! I don't know if I could ever get my dress to fit again, but having some nice posed pictures would be fun! Thanks for the suggestion!

Next year would be 5 years, I will try to stash some money away quietly. Oooo... Now I am excited!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
GL,

You looked amazing and may I add your husband is quite handsome. The money spent on a wedding doesnt' make the marriage any better. I loved your dress and your flowers were fantastic. I think weddings like yours are what romance is made of.

Blessings for you and your husband. Always be as happy as you were that day.

G

GoldLeaf

Grnidwitch said:
GL,

You looked amazing and may I add your husband is quite handsome. The money spent on a wedding doesnt' make the marriage any better. I loved your dress and your flowers were fantastic. I think weddings like yours are what romance is made of.

Blessings for you and your husband. Always be as happy as you were that day.

Thank you! I think my hubby is quite the catch too :) I adore him and respect him deeply. I think I am more in love with him now than I was then. We went through some trials the past few years, but with our 4 year anniversary approaching, I love him in a way I couldn't have understood on that day. We work on our relationship almost daily, and because of it we are so amazingly strong together.

I loved preparing for our wedding, all the time and creativity it took. It was a labor of love, and I enjoyed every moment. Everything was a reflection of us, because our hands were in every detail. Our theme, so cliche, was a fairy tale come true. I belived in, and got, my prince. Everything had a cute little clipart castle on it, that looked much like the one where we got married. My gift to him was a little frog with a crown, the last one I had to kiss :) I got a leggo (love leggos!) carriage with a knight and lady.

My favorite thing was the cake. The baker made it look kind of like a little kid's birthday cake, but the meaning was the most important. It was a sheet cake with a "brick" wall around the perimeter of the cake. We had 2 figurines, one that stood on the inside of the wall, and one on the outside. The castle is a fish tank castle that I painted lol

The cake wall represented the defenses and the walls that we put up because we have been hurt. We cling to the pain and forget the joy that comes along with loving someone. Had we not been willing to take a chance and let our defenses down a little, had we not been willing to believe in joy, no matter how fleeting, we wouldn’t have been standing there that day. On our first date, I tried to scare DH away, but he saw through that, and saw to who I really was. From that day on, my walls disintegrated until I was left vulnerable and exposed, and he loved me all the more.

So, when we cut the cake, we cut the wall between our figurines in a symbolic tearing down of the fear and the pain that separate people, and joined our figures together.

Anyway, I will stop yacking about my wedding, this thread isn't about me, hehehe. I still like talking about it, 4 years later :)

Thumbnail of my cake and the "castle" the day after the wedding and rain

ITG

Call Me a Cab
GoldLeaf, I hear you on the budget wedding thing. You did a marvelous job pulling it together. Your cake is so unique...very cool. I'll second the comment about your husband being a cutie. Our church let us do it for free there but we made a love offering. My mom's best friend did the floral arrangements, I copied the music onto a CD courtesy of Limewire, one of my friends videotaped it for us, my cousin did our engagement photos with my camera and her camera, the bridesmaids dresses were on sale 50% off for $60, I printed the invitations myself, and the food was all finger foods since we didn't have a means to heat hot foods at the church. I did splurge a bit for a ceremony photographer who I found on Craigslist ($700). The only thing I went into debt on was my dress which I will have paid off by summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany