Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Workwear

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Were the leather bowties pretied?

Yes, I think they were. Probably assembled by a button or hook on the neck strap. My bus driver's tie was always perfect and exactly the same shape from day to day.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Vintage boots from Rin Tanaka's book, My Freedamn! 5 Rock & Roll Fashions Part 1.

damn13.jpg

damn14.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gardening, DIY...wear around my place (pic)

Gatsby/Newsboy from B!Wear. Old redyed Norgie (Norwegian Army shirt). 50's dungarees (yes..I'm using them :eek: ). RedWing boots (GT's). Heavy duty roughout leather gloves.

Garden003.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
The one thing that appears missing from all the japanese repro work wear stuff is the mixing of suit separates and hats with their work wear...
cv199924.jpg

Annex%20-%20Brooks,%20Louise%20(Beggars%20of%20Life)_04.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
Looking past the obviously staggering price, the idea of a "work shirt" with french cuffs and a removable collar speaks for such a different time. Fascinating indeed!

mike

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Mike, I'm pretty sure that those are barrel cuffs that are flat and unbuttoned for display. French cuffs they're not.

ah-cha, yes I looked at it too quick. Still though, removable collars on a work shirt seems strange even though obviously they existed.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
They do seem anachronistic. I wonder if they were marketed to overseers, foremen, and other 'higher-ups' on the factory floor?

anachronistic - that's the word! I was sitting here dumbfounded knowing there was an exact word out there and it wasn't coming to me. Thanks teach' :p

I also wonder if they just come from an earlier period. When the removable collar fad raged over a few decades from the turn of the century through more of less the 20s perhaps these work shirts with this specific removable collar style were from an earlier time when virtually everything was made this way...? I don't really believe that, I'm just grasping at straws. :eusa_doh: Perhaps the only people that can help us don't speak English as their native language.... Although, I have a few friends here that are big into the work wear stuff that don't venture on to this site because their not into suits. Maybe I can pick their brains, I'll get back to you on this.

mike

Call Me a Cab
I won this shawl collar coat for under $70 bucks shipped. Aero Leather is willing to replace the rotting small external leather pieces. The coat looks A LOT like the coat worn by Lon Chaney, Sr. in one of his last (and lost) films, Thunder!
!BVosbywBWk~$(KGrHgoOKj!EjlLm,WqpBKTg,3Bch!~~_1.JPG

!BVosdwgCGk~$(KGrHgoOKjQEjlLmQu1cBKTg,+g9F!~~_1.JPG

by comparison...
jamesthunder.jpg

the story goes that Lon paid a trainman for his coat because it completed his character and sold the performance as an older trainman with a lifetime of experience under his belt. Here's the original trainman shaking hands with Lon presumably prior to the wardrobe hand off....
Thunder_film2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo