Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Workwear

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
20ssurveyor_zpse57d727b.jpg

SteveAS

Practically Family
It's interesting to see most of these guys in work clothes, with fedoras on their heads. I've had a (misplaced, apparently) notion that fedoras were worn with suits and more casual hats and caps were worn with workwear. I like it!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division, FSA/OWI Collection

1938:
8a18912v.jpg

8a18916v.jpg

8a18945v.jpg

8a18975v.jpg

8a03337v.jpg

8a03365v.jpg

8a03436v.jpg

8a03631v.jpg

8a03778v.jpg

8a03780v.jpg

OK, so the last few posts have had loads of pictures of blokes wearing bib and brace, but I'm sure there are some enthusiasts out there who want to see every little detail of period denim.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Working on the cylinder of a locomotive at the C & NW RR 40th Street shops, Chicago, Ill. 1942
1a34608v.jpg

Welder at the C & NW RR locomotive shops, 40th Street shops, Chicago, Ill. 1942
1a34597v.jpg

Two employees at the roundhouse at Proviso yard, C & NW RR., Chicago, Ill. 1942
1a34600v.jpg

Mike Evans, a welder, at the rip tracks at Proviso yard of the C & NW RR, Chicago, Ill. 1943
1a34668v.jpg

A.S. Gerdee, of 3251 Maypole(?) Street, working as a switchman at Proviso yard of C & NW RR, Chicago, Ill. 1943
1a34669v.jpg

Welders making boilers for a ship, Combustion Engineering Co., Chattanooga, Tenn. 1942
1a35233v.jpg

highway66blues

One of the Regulars
WoW ! These are Great !
I absolutely LOVE pics like this. Those are everyday folks in everyday clothes. THAT is how poeple lived.
My favs are the 9th photo down in the 2nd set posted yesterday from 1930. The 4 fellows standing in front of the barn door. The one foremost to the right, his specs stand out to me. So many different things folks still used from years before. I'd have to think because it's what one had.
Next fav is the 6th one in the 3rd set posted yesterday. The 3 fellows sitting on the running boards of the Chevy?
Love them all, really.
This how I & what I base my everyday vintage dress on.
Not so much the denim.
GREAT stuff ! Thank You very Very much for sharing

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
WoW ! These are Great !
I absolutely LOVE pics like this. Those are everyday folks in everyday clothes. THAT is how poeple lived.
GREAT stuff ! Thank You very Very much for sharing

If you follow this link to the Library of Congress you can search on there and find thousands of photos by the 'Farm Security Administration' showing rural life in the period.

The Library of Congress also has the Lomax Collection which might interest you:

"The collection includes 400 snapshot photographs made in the course of sound recording expeditions carried out by John Avery Lomax, Alan Lomax, and Ruby Terrill Lomax, between 1934 and ca. 1950 for the Archive of American Folk-Song. The photographs, which were transferred to the Prints and Photographs Division from the Archive of American Folk-Song in 1950, depict African American, Mexican American, and white musicians, singers and dancers, primarily in the southern United States (Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Texas, and Virginia) and the Bahamas (Nassau, Andros Island, and Cat Island). In addition to posed portraits, the images show musicians performing in various settings: at home, in concert, and while performing prison labor outdoors. Views of children engaged in singing games, scenes of daily life, and some landscape views are also included. Folklorist Zora Neale Hurston, who assisted the Lomaxes on expeditions to Georgia and Florida, has been identified in a few photographs."

"Lightnin'" Washington, an African American prisoner, singing with his group in the woodyard at Darrington State Farm, Texas:
00287v.jpg

k13879.jpg

Navy WAVE trainee

Leans on a swab while cleaning her barracks, soon after she arrived at a Naval Training Center during World War II.
Photographed prior to April 1944.
Note suitcases at right, and dungaree working uniform with button fly.

Official U.S. Navy Photograph, National Archives collection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy