Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Workwear

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Good detective work gents. And at least now you know they'll last a lifetime if they're military! I've got two pairs of dress blues trousers with fishtail backs and high waist - they're damned good trousers.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
ca. 1940s Loom Brand British leather waistcoat

Simple, practical stitching on this one. The tweed liner is stitched extremely close to the hem, yet it doesn't droop, nor does it look like it could possibly droop. Well enforced seams at the armhole, the hem and at the stress points around the buttons.

Second image set without flash.

mLV78vy.jpg

h5ouOzv.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I might do that, Bob. Haven't signed up there yet.

I agree Bama, the vest can easily pass as western.

1940s USN wool shirt converted to Ricky jacket

An old conversion job, well worn. The fabric is gathered at the back side of the waistband, like on a A-2.

2eRVlvu.jpg

Metatron

One Too Many
This why I come to the Fedora Lounge!!

What a great idea, and it would probably not be too hard for a tailor to make such an alteration.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
This why I come to the Fedora Lounge!!

What a great idea, and it would probably not be too hard for a tailor to make such an alteration.

Yes, it shouldn't be difficult, and there are still WWII and post-war wool shirts aplenty. From what I can see, the only alterations are 1) cut the length and add a buttonhole just below the lowest original buttonhole, 2) insert the knit waistband and gather the fabric at the back.

It's noteworthy that the drop from chest to waist is actually minimal here, so there isn't much fabric gathered at the waist. It could easily be done with a higher drop, but if the length of the resulting jacket is right so that the waistband can lock itself in as it were at the body waist, then you don't really need to do that. The fabric still drapes like a shirt, after all, not like a leather flight jacket.

I might do that, Bob. Haven't signed up there yet.

I agree Bama, the vest can easily pass as western.

1940s USN wool shirt converted to Ricky jacket

An old conversion job, well worn. The fabric is gathered at the back side of the waistband, like on a A-2.

2eRVlvu.jpg
I like this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points