Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VintageGoth?

fernande

Vendor
I posted this in "whos in your avatar" thread, but I felt the subject matter may appeal to my fabulously 'dark and gloomy' vintage buddies in this thread and the photos are most certainly of the "dark and sinister" variety.

<<though I seem I to change my avatar every few minutes.
My current avatar is from a photo shoot I did as a homage to both

Weegee's crime scene photos/hollywood/street life photos

http://museum.icp.org/museum/collect...pecial/weegee/

- and a great photographer named Melanie Pullen who toured with a photo set called "fashion crime scenes" Very Noir/ "Hollywood Babylon" in vibe and style.
I encourage people to check it out- but a disclaimer- Its NOT for everyone- as the shots have photos of murder, suicide, etc, similar to the shots you'd see or themes explored in movies/books like "L.A. Confindential." or "The Black Dahlia"
Same thing with WeeGee, even some of his shots in the 50s were startling.

My favorite is "dorothy".

http://www.melaniepullen.com/

If anyone takes offense, bartenders are encourage to remove- no offense intended!

My shoot was definately not as stark and was done in a 50s "deliquent" style with leopard print wedges (bought in vegas) , black lace "prom" style dress- accented with a studded belt (from the late 70s/punk era)
The model is an extremely talented singer from New York named Thailann>>

:)

Woland

One of the Regulars
fernande said:
Are you still in contact with this person? I love this artwork, I want to see more-

Strangely enough, saw him on the street the other day.
Have not seen him in like 20 years...
Contacted a mutual friend and got contact info on him.
Will in fact call him next week.
Hoping to buy the full sized prints from him (if there is any left).
They are quite large, around 40" tall.

Found a picture of the whole single-cover on the net:

singel.jpg

It was a fold-in, (my idea ;-).

pigeon toe

One Too Many
vonwotan said:
Has any of you seen the film Nomi Song or the new book Punk 365? Nomi song starts way back at Max's Kansas City and follows Klaus Nomi... For those of you on the West Coast , from what I've heard, Punk 365 covers the punk bands and clubs from New York to LA and accross the pond. I've just ordered a copy of the book after my friend saw it at a tour stop in NYC last night.

Hahaha, my mom was in the Nomi Song for a milisecond too! She's walking out of Macy's or something, where she used to work. Perhaps you two know each other! ;)

fernande

Vendor
pigeon toe said:
Hahaha, my mom was in the Nomi Song for a milisecond too. She's walking out of Macy's or something, where she used to work.

Sounds like, from a few of your posts- your Mom was into a really cool scene and really cool music!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
fernande said:
Sounds like, from a few of your posts- your Mom was into a really cool scene and really cool music!

Haha, well, she was in the fashion industry so she knew lots of wild people. Everyone used to call her Sister Sweeney though because she was the Catholic good girl of the group (though I'm sure that's just a front!). Music though? Laura Nyro and Neil Young are about it for her. The Nomi Song thing was more of a coincidence!

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
MB5 said:
I came to vintage through goth in a rather round-about way.

Children of the Night (or at least of Martini Time),

How WONDERFUL that everyone has such interesting stories! Mr. MB5, do tell us your tale if you would...

Edward, old man, you're positively the real McCoy! Absolutely love your Hallowe'en 2004 look - very dangerous! The Skellington is startling, too!

Mssrs. Bogart and RIOT, lovely to hear from you. Of COURSE your dating predilections count, RIOT, and you're perfectly welcome, if you promise not to beat us up! Heh heh! Competely kidding, old chap - As Edward says, some of the nicest and most loyal friends may be found among the Skins, Goths, Punks, and other "fringe" communities, and I doubt stereotypes wouldn't hold much water in this thread in any case.

My dear fellow Cajun Goth Nikki Primeaux once theorised that Goths and other such folk are nicer and more polite and well-spoken than mainstream humans because we've constantly had to use our personalities to overcome the social stigmas of our appearances and predilections, a theory to which I personally subscribe. What do you kids think?

I concur with the others, Woland - I'd be very interested in hearing your music. I'll never forget seeing Liquid Sky for the first time. Klaus Nomi, too, and all on dear old Night Flight on the USA Channel! Ahh, New Wave Theatre, with your Ghost Host, Peter Ivers - first place I ever saw .45 Grave and oh-so-many other great acts. Close as a little kid from Richmond could get to the scene in those days...

Abominable enough, Ecuador Jim. However, Woland is correct - I had Baron Samedi, Keeper of the Graveyard, in mind. You know, Edward, I've heard the Mr. Depp thing before, but I don't personally see it. And without the moustache I look about 12.

Gracious! There are a lot of us, aren't there? I say we all sneak over into the Suit Forum and put Mssrs. Deckard and Chevalier into some PVC and eye makeup...

Black No. 1,

T.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
fernande said:
Hear Hear Ms Brill!

Thats why I get smug joy when those exact snooty people "too good to shop thrift or antique malls" (new york city is crawling with them)
pay $500.00 for a vintage dress, I bought for $10.00!

::maniacal laughter::

I especially hate the "ewww! used clothes!" attitude. Really, you are more likely to catch crabs trying on clothes at Bebe on a Saturday than from wearing thrift. I've worn thrift forever & I've never caught anything from it. [huh]

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Miss Brill said:
I especially hate the "ewww! used clothes!" attitude. Really, you are more likely to catch crabs trying on clothes at Bebe on a Saturday than from wearing thrift. I've worn thrift forever & I've never caught anything from it. [huh]

Yeah, that always amuses me. God knows how many people try on the new clothes in shops, or wear and return them (without washing them)

Ah well, they leave more treasures for us to find :)

Jovan

Suspended
A lot of gothic genre literature classics were written in Victorian times, such as Frankenstein, Dracula, etc. so it only follows that gothic fashion would, in effect, be Victorian inspired. :) Corpse Bride, anyone?

mike

Call Me a Cab
Woland said:
SvartKlovn.jpg

Yours truly back in -83.
Close to a 100 lbs ago...

Was active in the early "synth-scene".
The cover of my first single:

svart.jpg

Cheers!

this is great! :eusa_clap
cheers man! love to hear the ep!

mike

Call Me a Cab
my myspace page with older pics of me and some background too
Not goth personally, but 10 years+ been running psychobilly shows and old time spook shows/spook show themed dj nights with delta blues, calypso, rhythm & blues, rockabilly, garage, punk, psychobilly - really whatever's wild and fun without pretensions and can work giveaway skeletons, glow in the dark spirits and/or get dressed up in a gorilla suit and dj till I'm falling down drunk and dancing aaaand I love run on sentences, and bulldogs.

Jovan

Suspended
mike said:
my myspace page with older pics of me and some background too
Not goth personally, but 10 years+ been running psychobilly shows and old time spook shows/spook show themed dj nights with delta blues, calypso, rhythm & blues, rockabilly, garage, punk, psychobilly - really whatever's wild and fun without pretensions and can work giveaway skeletons, glow in the dark spirits and/or get dressed up in a gorilla suit and dj till I'm falling down drunk and dancing aaaand I love run on sentences, and bulldogs.
The clean cut look works the best for you, if I may say so. :)

mike

Call Me a Cab
Jovan said:
The clean cut look works the best for you, if I may say so. :)

You think? ;) I like it all. If I could still grow a foot and a half high brightly colored quiff (over the top pompodor/mixed with a mohawk) I probably would still do it.
But on the other hand, for me, my path in getting here was getting into rockabilly/psychobilly followed by teddy boy music/culture/style which is very edwardian based, followed by the fact that 30's style is more acceptable to be worn everyday to work than drape suits. Plus with all this movement away from more wild dressing was timed with to coming to LA and thinking everyone here is so hip and pretend "rock'n'roll" that that was truly not a scene I wanted to fit in with. Also golden age styles actually have a timeless feel to me, they are just "how things should have stayed" while ted styles are really their own stand along thing.

No matter how old I am or how I look, at my heart I'm pretty simple, I just love to get drunk and dance to Sonny Boy Williamson (the first!) & Bukka White. :D

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Tatterscratch, I really wanted to put some photos up of the most amazing cemetery for you, but couldn't find any :(

It's in Nottingham, here in England, is very old, full of tombs, trees, caves, and strange underground bits like a cross between buffy the vampire slayer and pan's labyrinth.

I love graveyards, which I think is because I grew up in the middle of nowhere, and the most interesting thing nearby was a derelict church and graveyard where we used to play.

I was never a goth, but my first serious boyfriend was a goth... I think he was the only boy I ever met who wore makeup, and wrapped himself in duct tape for a night out... it's probably strange he dated the un-goth me, which is probably why he eventually cheated on me with another goth lol

I'm also a big fan of the birthday party and we have pretty much everything joy division ever made, including two tracks on a strange compilation called "earcom 2", which is pretty random.

I think I came to vintage from liking old things... I used to hide all the modern things in my room when I was about 12... a strange child!

mike

Call Me a Cab
Ada Veen said:
I'm also a big fan of the birthday party and we have pretty much everything joy division ever made, including two tracks on a strange compilation called "earcom 2", which is pretty random.

Do you have the original Warsaw recordings? Those are my favorite! :)

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
Ada Veen said:
Tatterscratch, I really wanted to put some photos up of the most amazing cemetery for you, but couldn't find any :(

It's in Nottingham, here in England, is very old, full of tombs, trees, caves, and strange underground bits like a cross between buffy the vampire slayer and pan's labyrinth.

Ms. Veen,

Hm, playing in graveyards, derelict churches, Joy Division - Are you SURE you're not Goth? Have you checked lately?

The cemetery sounds perfectly wonderful! If you should find those photographs, do let me know. A derelict church and a graveyard, eh? What kid needs more than that? Sounds idyllic to me, especially the church. Always thought of living in a converted church, and a church-as-family-dwelling figures prominently in an illustrated story I'm working on.

Hollywood Cemetery, the famous yard in my hometown of Richmond, Virginia is quite famous - Two American presidents, 25 Confederate generals including J.E.B. Stuart, and my beloved president Jefferson Davis. Add to that gorgeous statuary and mausoleums, numerous hauntings, one vampire (who made the papers in the 1800s) and a huge stone pyramid to our Confederate dead, and you have a place they have to shoo me out of with a dirty broom!

http://hollywoodcemetery.org/

However, I'm sure we don't have a patch on some of England's great old yards. Wish I'd seen more of the when I was in England...

T.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred