Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VintageGoth?

CharlesB

Suspended
I must say johanna those pics you have brought back some memories. The spitting image of this girl at this new wave party a few summers ago. There was liquor, chain smoking, debuachery and a soundtrack featuring Claus Nomi
Johanna said:
:D This is so strange! I've had that picture saved on my computer for ages since I thought the girl had such a great look. I had no idea who it was and I don't remember where I got it.

I've never been a goth or punk or any kind of subculture follower since I'm not the kind of person who likes to stick to a certain "style" and belong to a group, but my look has definitely been very influenced by them. I'm also a huge fan of a lot of goth and punk music. And I'm into anything 80s, and goth is very 80s.

Some of my gothest moments:
293674638_0a84d56661_o.jpg

hanni.jpg

293671061_023cb43960_o.jpg

johannasvartvit2.jpg

slem.jpg

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Doran said:
Great to see this thread. I never called myself a goth, but I was heavily into punk-rock in the 1980s and I always liked some industrial and goth such as Einsturzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle, Current 93, DEATH IN JUNE (I'm a huge fan and have seen them play), Sol Invictus, and of course Bauhaus and Siouxsie -- that goes without saying. Nick Cave, too. And many more, too many to list. I like dark. I think one of the many reasons I liked Portishead was the darkness in their music.

Whoa... Death In June. My friend Scott used to work for this horrible little magazine called Propaganda, and when they somehow got an interview with DIJ, it was like, this monumental event... Now I feel old.;)
Have you ever seen Neubauten live? They are probably the best live show I've ever seen, bar none. Headcleaner performed live is something to behold. I've made it a point whenever they come around to make it to the show, as I'm always afraid they're going to make good on their threat to stop touring. Should they ever grace us with their presence again, I can't urge you enough to check them out.
BTW, the final(?) Bauhaus album came out last Tuesday- Go Away White. Pretty good.

mike

Call Me a Cab
I was never an out and out goth although I do love a lot of the music.

This is me 10 years ago in London on my way to a psychobilly festival...

l_566611cbf3b7143e6e8199d48fd43582.jpg

I uhh don't have that much hair anymore :eusa_doh:

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lulu-in-Ny said:
Whoa... Death In June. My friend Scott used to work for this horrible little magazine called Propaganda, and when they somehow got an interview with DIJ, it was like, this monumental event... Now I feel old.;)
Have you ever seen Neubauten live? They are probably the best live show I've ever seen, bar none. Headcleaner performed live is something to behold. I've made it a point whenever they come around to make it to the show, as I'm always afraid they're going to make good on their threat to stop touring. Should they ever grace us with their presence again, I can't urge you enough to check them out.
BTW, the final(?) Bauhaus album came out last Tuesday- Go Away White. Pretty good.

I have, yes, seen Einsturzende live. As for Propaganda magazine, that was godawful: 5 or more typos per ultraglossy page plus many semi-nude young male models. Not my cuppa tea. I'll look for the Bauhaus.

AnnaMaria

New in Town
I'm going to an Einsturzende concert in Gothenburg next month. It's a few years since I stopped listen to them but I'm quite exited anyway. I had such a crush on Blixa Bargeld when I was younger.

Chas

One Too Many
One friend of mine who works in vintage stores loves the "vintageGoths". She can sell them stuff that's ripped. Which is great.

I personally love Goth and if Vintage didn't exist, then I would probably be a "Corporate Goth". I was gothed-out long before it was ever called goth (1981), but slowly pulled into the vintage lifestyle, beginning in the late 80's.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
AnnaMaria said:
I'm going to an Einsturzende concert in Gothenburg next month. It's a few years since I stopped listen to them but I'm quite exited anyway. I had such a crush on Blixa Bargeld when I was younger.
I had quite the thing for him as well. When my son was born, my aforementioned friend Scott call the hospital to find out his name, as apparently the guys had a pool going on whether or not I was going to name him Blixa. (I didn't. :rolleyes: )

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Smuterella said:
I was a teenage goth too!
I think that a lot of us may drift in from there. Same level of commitment is required to live the lifestyle- attention to detail, difficult-to-achieve aesthetic, a willingness to endure the slightly skewed stares of others...

Staredge

One of the Regulars
Oddly enough, as dark as I've been in the past, I NEVER even considered it. Never had a problem with Goth, although I'll admit I'd never be able to pull it off with a straight face. Purely Victorian dress, now.....that I might could have gotten behind. Farthest i got into the music was The Cure, and even that wasn't until the late 90's.

Question for those who did: was there an influx into the scene of people influenced by Interview With A Vampire, and how did you feel about it? Were they eventually welcomed into the fold, as it were, or were they seen as a bunch of wannabees??

Will

Dr Doran

I never paid attention to that film so I don't know. I walked out of it.

Is there anyone else out there who loved Death in June and Current 93?

Hellllllllooooooooooooo?

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Doran said:
I never paid attention to that film so I don't know. I walked out of it.

Is there anyone else out there who loved Death in June and Current 93?

Hellllllllooooooooooooo?

Why is it past tense? Current 93 has a tour in Europe this summer according to their website.

Death in June is a good show too, although I had to cross a picket line to get in.

I thought this thread would be about vintage goth stuff since the scene is older than Adam...

Story

I'll Lock Up
Tourbillion said:
I thought this thread would be about vintage goth stuff since the scene is older than Adam...[/QUOTE]
:p Vampire joke?

bela lugosi's dead
bela lugosi's dead
undead undead undead

dani

Familiar Face
i'm still new to the vintage, but i came from the more punk/industrial scene i guess. i look back on some of the stuff i wore, and shake my head because some of it was a bit on the trampy side, but also proud of my self because i went to school in greenback tn, their favorite pass times were muddin', and cow tippin'. it was so redneck, and so country i stuck out like a sore thumb. i turned a lot of heads in that little town, i went to church with a friend of mine one time i had black hair with blood red streaks, lip rings eyebrow rings, and had a 2 gauge in each ear. the preacher started his sermon about how the youth of today was so corrupt, the whole time staring at me. it made me kind of mad that he was judging me on the way i looked, but now i realize i probably looked like the devils offspring to him, and that everyone jugdes people somewhat on how they look.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Staredge said:
Question for those who did: was there an influx into the scene of people influenced by Interview With A Vampire, and how did you feel about it? Were they eventually welcomed into the fold, as it were, or were they seen as a bunch of wannabees??

Will
Well, I came through the scene in the late 80's/early 90's in NYC. And, even then, the "Old Guard" treated us a little shabbily. In turn, we looked down on anyone that came after us. A lot of people will argue this point but, on the whole, The Goth Scene is a very cliquish, elitist, exclusionary group.
Ever see that SNL skit "Goth Talk"? Not far off the mark, that one...
No one is as "goth" as us...
Did you see what she was wearing???
It's not very Goth to __________...

It goes on forever.
And it stays with you. To this day, I turn my nose up at the Hot Topic, Marilyn Manson, Evanescence, Type-O Negative Mall Goths...
Of course there were people who had really great attitudes and didn't take it all so seriously, but usually those were the ones who had been around long enough to see the humor in the whole mess. I will say, though, that the Industrial kids were way more fun and way less snobby. Much more Fun to be Had with the Rivetheads...

AnnaMaria

New in Town
Lulu-in-Ny said:
I had quite the thing for him as well. When my son was born, my aforementioned friend Scott call the hospital to find out his name, as apparently the guys had a pool going on whether or not I was going to name him Blixa. (I didn't. :rolleyes: )

Haha, maybe thats for the best. I just might name my next cat Blixa though. It's either that or Humphrey. I guess it's more ok on a pet then on a child.

Candied violets

New in Town
I came through the goth-loli scene in part, does that count? I got into it while living in Japan. I loved the sweet styles, the full “cupcake” skirts and the fun prints but as I was past 25 and getting out of my cutesy stage, I never really went full-on goth-loli. I tended toward goth-loli's "older sister" gothic aristocrat. On returning to the states I went more for historical Victorian/Edwardian looks as I've always felt drawn to them. The 50's-esque full skirts and fun patterns of goth-loli also translated in a more mature way into truly vintage 50's looks and so I ended up here with a growing collection ranging in styles from Victorian to 1950's. ^_^

M Tatterscratch said:
Add to that gorgeous statuary and mausoleums, numerous hauntings, one vampire (who made the papers in the 1800s) and a huge stone pyramid to our Confederate dead, and you have a place they have to shoo me out of with a dirty broom!

My sister went to school at VCU and her dorm room looked out over the cemetery. I talked to her a lot from Japan and she often spoke of the pyramid but I never saw it (the one time I visited she had her curtains drawn) and so I always teased her that she was imagining it. Now that you've verified its existence I may have to give-in... but only if she finds out.

Jovan

Suspended
I was somewhat gothic in high school, I guess. I wish I had the pictures of me dressed for homecoming -- I was wearing the same black shirt and corduroy coat (from Hot Topic... SHUT UP!) but with black trousers instead. My date was my friend Karen and she looked absolutely gorgeous.

jovanoutfit-1.jpg

Switching places with a friend for a day. He's wearing my clothes, I'm wearing his. Here I am with black hair. It doesn't really suit me.

DSCN0957.jpg

Dr Doran

Tourbillion said:
Why is it past tense? Current 93 has a tour in Europe this summer according to their website.

Death in June is a good show too, although I had to cross a picket line to get in.

I thought this thread would be about vintage goth stuff since the scene is older than Adam...

Why past tense? Because I was assuming that people here had moved to other musics and were not big fans anymore.

I thought vintage goth referred to vintage people who liked goth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters