Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Virgin Knitter!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Hi all

I got myself some needles and wool today and (for the first time EVER) I am trying to master the 'Casting On' there appears to be a few ways to do this, the most popular being Double Casting, which I even found a video for - so just giving my hand a break now from trying (it really hurts!) and thought I would come and ask you ladies for some tips. Should I try a different way of casting on to begin with?

olive bleu

One Too Many
Congratulations! How exciting!

I have to say, my left-handed Grandmother taught me to knit when i was about eight.I have been knitting off & on since, but sporadically so i am by no means the expert.I also use the same method that you mentioned. But only for the past year or so. Before that, I was doing it the way my grannie taught me, which cannot be found in any instruction manuallol

It was completely wrong. So for years everything i made had this funny ridge on it.It took me a long time and much hand-cramping to get the hang of the double casting method, but my advice would be to just stick with it, Pretty soon you will get in the groove of it.

Videos and instruction books can be good, but my experience says that nothing beats one on one coaching. SO if you have any Aunts, cousins, etc. that knit, it would be worth an afternoon of sitting down and actually watching someone show you the basics.

fleur

One of the Regulars
My gran taught me to knit during a thunderstorm when I was 7 - I remember it well. Bright orange wool and blue needles :)

Dont know what the method is called that I use but I was taught that once you have two stitches cast on, instead of knitting through the loop to make your next stitch, to put the needle between the two stitches and then make a loop. I find this makes it much neater and you dont get that horrid hem if you happen to get your tension wrong.

Its quite relaxing when you get the hang of it - I made numerous scarves before I went on to anything spectacular. I think I moved on to knitting clothes for my Sindy!!!!

I have to say Im a bit pants when it comes to using different coloured yarn but give me an Aran pattern and I am yours!

Good luck and stick with it - you will be amazed at how easy it is.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Thanks ladies! I wish my Gran had taught me fleur.

olive bleu - unfortunately, I don't really have anyone who can show me but my dad's girlfriend said she will have a go and she what she remembers!

I think I have mastered the double casting on now, it's just that the nice little row of loops in the video look nothing like my clumped together mess! And also, it's hard to keep the wool tight in the left hand when doing this, it gets baggier the more I do and then I lose it again!

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I started with a 'Knitting For Dummies' book:p And from the first paragraph, you are knitting! It was a great help with easy to follow instructions and step by step pictures.

Glaistig

New in Town
I learned to knit using only Debbie Stoller's Stitch and B*tch (excusez moi :) ) handbook and a $12 knitting cd from Hobby Lobby. The Stoller book (the 1st one) is excellent in my opinion and a very good reference.

I generally use the basic long tail cast-on in Stoller's book --you use your hand as a sling shot -- but there are a zillion styles out there depending on what you're knitting. (Check out Montse Stanley's knitting book one day and you'll be absolutely blown away.)

Question: Do you have any yarn shops around?? Try googling. You can usually drop in and just ask a nice lady or take a beginner's class. My local yarn shop (or "LYS" to use knitting parlance) does both. I note that even my local Hobby Lobby has knitting classes as well as Michael's (craft shop).

If you can only use videos or books, just take each step really slow. It took me a while but I did eventually "get it." I would pause the cd at each step and watch over and over.

Congratulations :eusa_clap and welcome to the Knitting Sisterhood!! How exciting! A whole world has opened up :)

Edited to add: I just noticed you are located "across the Pond." But I bet there may be some UK yarn shops with classes? I am running off to google.

Glaistig

New in Town
Ok, I am sadly terrible at UK geography but this page appears to reference a knitting group that meets regularly in Hampshire, I believe. It says both beginners and experienced knitters are welcome. Or try posting in the forum which is for UK knitters.

I'm sure someone would love to help you learn to cast on in person! There may even be someone right down the street from you :)

fleur

One of the Regulars
If its tight then gets baggier thats all to do with your tension. You're learning so it will improve.

My advice to you would be to not try to cast on too tight as this can be worse than too loose when you come to actually start knitting.

Where abouts are you coz if you cant get the hang of it and not to far away in Hampshire I am sure we could meet up in a cafe with our knitting and I could show you :D

fleur

One of the Regulars
I also meant to say that I dont think I would get on with learning to knit via a book - Ive tried this with crochet ..... this is usually launched across the room as I cannot get on with it.

Not better than someone sitting down with you and physically showing you how and what to do - I taught my daughter last Easter and she is into knitting "scarves" :p

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Glaistig said:
Ok, I am sadly terrible at UK geography but this page appears to reference a knitting group that meets regularly in Hampshire, I believe. It says both beginners and experienced knitters are welcome. Or try posting in the forum which is for UK knitters.

I'm sure someone would love to help you learn to cast on in person! There may even be someone right down the street from you :)

You absolute star!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
fleur said:
If its tight then gets baggier thats all to do with your tension. You're learning so it will improve.

My advice to you would be to not try to cast on too tight as this can be worse than too loose when you come to actually start knitting.

Where abouts are you coz if you cant get the hang of it and not to far away in Hampshire I am sure we could meet up in a cafe with our knitting and I could show you :D

In Southampton! I can just see us both now sat in a quaint little cafe with our needles!

lavendar lady

New in Town
Want to get back into

I would like to get back into kniiting. I only did it as a child.Was not that good. Now as an adult maybe i can do it and have fun.
You will find your nitch with knitting and have fun also.;)

L.L

katiemakeup

Practically Family
fleur said:
I also meant to say that I dont think I would get on with learning to knit via a book - Ive tried this with crochet ..... this is usually launched across the room as I cannot get on with it.

Not better than someone sitting down with you and physically showing you how and what to do - I taught my daughter last Easter and she is into knitting "scarves" :p

Oh me too! But I had no one around me who knew (or could remember) how... so I picked up my book on a whim and it was very easy. BUT I will tell you that the few gals I have recruited to knit with me, I show them first hand~ it's like there is no way to explain it without physically showing them~ and don't get out my book unless it's for reference. :)

*sigh* still on scarves...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran