Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VJ-Day.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that today marks the 60th anniversary of VJ-Day. Today, 60 years ago we ended the war with Japan and thus ending WWII. What a day that must have been! I'm sure most of us have seen some of the footage shot at Times Square in NY and also other spots around the US. It was one of the biggest celebrations we have seen in a long time.

Let us today remember those who served us in WWII and remember the end of that great struggle.

Best regards,

Root.
vjday3sl.png

Hondo

One Too Many
I'm currently watch History Channel and I think ITG ment that in her "Kiss" post, yes what a day "VJ-Day", I feel for the Japanese citizens for all the suffering, but the media is fanning too much criticism for the “H� bomb, were just lucky we didn’t let Macarthur bomb North Korea and China, but it seems like every one is picking on the U.S. to look for blame in ending WWII, if not the Japanese would have killed thousands or millions more, its something lost in the media. When a Foreign country needs, who's your best friend, who you gonna call?
God Bless America :cheers1:

macawber

Familiar Face
VJ Day in Canberra

Everyone knows about VJ Day in Australia as Darwin was bombed and Sydney had midget subs of the Japanese in the harbour.Also the Americans and Aussies were in battle up in New Guinea.In Canberra the nations capitol where I live,we had weekend and monday celebrations of VJ Day. There were flyovers by F-18's in an air show, all the old vets were on stage, fireworks at night and etc. It was very big here indeed. Remembrance is very much alive in the younger generation, as they are aware that they owe the fallen and those who served a great deal of respect.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I have nothing against the people of Japan of today or yesterday. 60 years ago the people of Japan weren’t evil or blood thirsty; it was the government that wanted to take over. Before the war the US saw this growing power and they cut off oil to Japan and told them if they wanted oil trade again they would have to stop producing all those nice little toys of war. Well, Japan didn’t care for that much at all. So, they didn’t want to play nice and when the oil stopped, we were placed on the list. So, December 7th came and we all know what happened there. Through the war the Japanese were ruthless and terrible! Very, very dedicated warriors and the word surrender wasn’t in their dictionary! When August 1945 came around there was two choices we had! Drop this horrible creation and hope that Japan would surrender or, keep fighting and launch X-Day, the secret attack on Japan’s beaches and lose another million or more American lives. Well, as we all know the first bomb shook them up quite a bit but, it didn’t get the message across till the second one was dropped. That was in a sense of us holding their arm behind their back that made them say “Uncle�. The two atomics that were dropped caused such devastation the world has not seen since. It is very sad when you think of all the simple Japanese civilians who didn’t care for the war. There were plenty I feel who didn’t want war with the US and well, they were victims of a greedy government. It was their leader’s fault that the Atomic Bomb was dropped because of their blood thirsty lust for world domination. I know a few Japanese and they are a very smart and wise race. Others I have met are very kind and generous! I do feel that the Japanese American citizens that lived over here were unfairly treated when put into internment camps.

War is sad no matter what happens! If we don’t remember history, it’s going to repeat it’s self till we do.

Root.

jake431

Practically Family
I suppose every government does this, but it really bothers me that modern Japan conceals, denys and downplays their (mostly Army's, but also the Navy) reprehensible behavior towards POW's and asian civilians. I know we have to accept other cultures but, vivisecting conscious B-29 crewmembers and subjecting Chinese slave laborers to disease and enslaving Korean and Chinese women to work in army run brothels (comfort women), to name just a few, is more than my cultural relatavism can stand. The fact that modern Japan has only recently, and grudgingly, apologised to China is terrible.

-Jake

Wild Root

Gone Home
Very interesting to say the least, I don't like it any more then most of us do.

VJ-Day brought happiness to most of the world because there was peace for once in 5 years. There was dancing, kissing, singing, cheering in the streets! For one moment in the world every one shared one thing in common! IT WAS OVER!!! Yes, in parts of the countries that were hit the most there wasn't much to celebrate because they had nothing left and their families were gone but, there was a feeling of relief hearing that it's over and it was a time to start a new. It was a ray of hope!

War wasn't good any way you cut it but, it sure took the world out of the depression.

Cheers,

Root.

Hondo

One Too Many
Wow you guys write/post far better than I, and very true.
A lot of the things Imperial Japan (Government) did during the war was so inhuman, Decapitated American and allied prisoners, and civilians in prison camps were as you said treated worse than in Nazi Germany. Yes even today the Japanese Government refuses to acknowledge abuse during the war in school text books, nor fully apologize for the horror, as if to hind the truth from its own citizens.
Without taking full responsibility, the first step, will only prolong the memories of Japanese atrocities.
Its to the Japanese Government and its citizens advantage to accept and express a “deep reflections and heartfelt sorrow� without delay.
I like and love the Japanese and their culture today (I even have some blood) and it pains me deeply that the Government won’t acknowledge its errors from the past.
VJ-Day should be a step in the right directions towards the future generations and leaders to come together.
Atomic or hydrogen booms do not fit in today’s world, (Hear that Iran, Pakistan and India?) Those who refuse to remember the past are doomed to repeat it.
War is not healthy for all living creatures on this plant we call home.
What a time for "dancing, kissing, singing, cheering in the streets"!!!
Happy VJ-Day to all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails