Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vouge pattern 8789

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Has anyone made this dress http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8789-products-16431.php?page_id=850 and, if you have, how have you been successful making the cummerbund? I made style A last summer with a pink and green stripe, and tried to make a green cummerbund to go with it and failed miserably, I made a wide belt instead. The pattern comes with only one size pattern peice for this and I just don't get how it works. I am making style B right now withi this great Michael Miller border print I found http://www.fabric.com/quilting-fabr...ail-away-double-border-stripe-bloom-pink.aspx I bought both pink a blue to make cummerbunds with but I haven't even been willing to cut into my fabric for fear of messing it up. Any suggestions? Hs anyone else had this problem? Or better yet have you made this sucessfully? All advice is very welcome.

Nettie

New in Town
Sorry I can't help with this pattern - but your fabric choice is lovely and great for such a pretty dress!

Emmalia

New in Town
Okay! I just finished the cummerbund last night, and had no problems. I made it out of polyester satin. If you're still having trouble and could name a specific problem, I could try to help.

My random thoughts on the cummerbund:

1. Yes, it is one piece--but it ends up being very close-fitting to my waist (and I'm the largest in my pattern pack, I wear the size 14) with the hook-and-eyes attached to the inner back side gather. If you wish to make it smaller, you'd likely have to do some pattern adjusting. Note where the pattern piece says "center front" and "center back," and remove inches from the sides as necessary. I can see where this would be an issue.

2. The gathering stitches you use will become permanent. You can't remove them afterwards; instead, you must secure them by bringing both trailing threads to the wrong side and tying them. So be sure to use matching thread, not a basting thread.

Again, if you're still having issues, I'd be more than happy to try and share what I learned!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy