Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waist coats are a jacket's best friend...

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I just saw this topic for the first time, what a surprise! So this is my feeble attempt at resuscitating it. I am a big waistcoat fan. When I wear a three piece to a bar or club, I always think i'm just the cat's pajamas when playing billiards in my suit, minus jacket. It's like a casual, dressy, snappy, sophisticated, stylish look. All of the ones I have are pretty form fitting, and I assume that's how they're supposed to be. I was told once that a waistcoat/vest is like a girdle for men. :) Yes, I suppose it could be used to hold back some excess girth.. anyway, I only have this one waistcoat pic at the moment.. it's from my new English three piece from the 40's, made by Burton.

100_1251.jpg

-Jeremiah

Edit: I forgot to ask.. would this waistcoat be work with say.. black or gray slacks and a coordinating shirt and tie? Or should I just leave it with the pants it came with?

Jacket and wescut with starkly contrasted trousers. Maybe light grey or brown (that Burton's suit is blue pinstripe, right?). Would make a nice sporting outfit.

Or that waistcoat with a light 2 piece suit - I often sport an orphaned blue PS waistcoat with a light brown herringbone SB 2 piece ...

bk

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Baron -

Yes, it's pinstriped.. here's a closeup..

1d_1_b.jpg

So you're saying wear the matching jacket and waistcoat with light grey trousers? Hmmm.... I do have light grey trousers. And another option would be the grey suit and the Burtons' waistcoat? Interesting. What about the grey waistcoat with the Burton's jacket and trousers? :eek:

-Jeremiah

Wild Root

Gone Home
Mr_Misanthropy said:
Edit: I forgot to ask.. would this waistcoat be work with say.. black or gray slacks and a coordinating shirt and tie? Or should I just leave it with the pants it came with?

When pairing a dark colored vest with anything other then the original suit it came with, you want to pair it with light colors! Tan, light gray, light blue/gray, or ivory! You don't want to pair it with dark colors... it will look like an attempt to make a vest part of a three piece suit... and I believe you mentioned you have all the pieces already so... I'd just wear it with the suit it came with.;)

=WR=

drownman

New in Town
Waist coat with 'extra' lining

Hello all. I'm fairly new here but I like what I see so far :)

I bought this waist coat today, and I wonder if you've seen this type of 'extra' lining before? It hung with a frock coat that was priced a little too hign, so I got just the waist coat and trousers.

I'm sorry for not posting pics, but maybe a video gives a better picture in the end? And I'm sorry for the wire hanger :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps93-r3sFws

Thanks in advance!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I think I figured it out

The video is clever way of showing the wesket.:eusa_clap
It must be a vest for grooms. He can nervously sweat through one lining and still look cool.

The Wolf

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
drownman said:
Hello all. I'm fairly new here but I like what I see so far :)

I bought this waist coat today, and I wonder if you've seen this type of 'extra' lining before? It hung with a frock coat that was priced a little too hign, so I got just the waist coat and trousers.

I'm sorry for not posting pics, but maybe a video gives a better picture in the end? And I'm sorry for the wire hanger :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps93-r3sFws

Thanks in advance!

The "extra lining" that buttons in around the edge is called a slip. I think such a thing is a descendent of what once would have been a full lining meant to protect the waistcoat from getting soiled (when shirts were considered undergarments). They've become pretty rare today, and are generally only worn for the most formal events. Prince Charles wore one in his wedding last year with his DB waistcoat under a morning coat. That's the last time I remember seeing one.

Lord Jagged

New in Town
I think waistcoats are the proper finishing touch to a suit and where else could I wear my collection of 19th century pocket watches? The waistcoat is a really classic touch I think!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
It is always amazing what you can learn at The Fedora Lounge. So THAT'S how a vest slip attaches. I had wondered about this very thing, and now will know what I'm looking at if I see one.

Thanks for posting that video.

drownman

New in Town
Orgetorix said:
The "extra lining" that buttons in around the edge is called a slip. I think such a thing is a descendent of what once would have been a full lining meant to protect the waistcoat from getting soiled (when shirts were considered undergarments). They've become pretty rare today, and are generally only worn for the most formal events. Prince Charles wore one in his wedding last year with his DB waistcoat under a morning coat. That's the last time I remember seeing one.

A slip you say? Intruiging! Thank you very much. I didn't know anything about it, now I know alot more, when to wear it. Now I just need to find a formal occasion...

scotrace said:
It is always amazing what you can learn at The Fedora Lounge. So THAT'S how a vest slip attaches. I had wondered about this very thing, and now will know what I'm looking at if I see one.

Thanks for posting that video.

Anytime :) I couldn't get pics up, so I had to use a video instead. But that seems to work well.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Current offerings from Orvis...

07TPL6XB.jpg

Irish Donegal Wool Waistcoat ($198) Known in Ireland as a “warmer,” our pure wool waistcoat is a touch longer than its American cousin, the vest. Woven and sewn in Ireland, our vest’s subtle color-block pattern sports a classic red windowpane. Full acetate lining for comfort. Button front. In multi print. Dry clean. Ireland.

82PRPBblack.jpg
82PRPBblue.jpg

Prince of Wales Wool Vest ($98) A pure wool version of the style first popularized when Edward, Prince of Wales, was photographed wearing it in the 1920s. Made in the USA, it sports an adjustable back belt and two front pockets. The perfect alternative to a jacket or sweater at the office. In blue/gray, black/white. Dry clean. USA.

51ALFHcamel.jpg
51ALFHlovat.jpg

Original Moleskin Vest ($129) Our Original Moleskin Men’s Vest is a design copied from the wardrobe of Edward VIII, Duke of Windsor. Cotton moleskin, a soft yet rugged shorn-pile fabric, holds up against brush and blunts the wind. Supple, comfortable, and quiet whilst stalking red grouse in the shadow of the Munros, Scotland’s highest mountains. Slash pockets and adjustable back belt for a personalized fit. Vest has a poly lining for comfort. In camel, lovat. Dry clean. Imported.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nice! Really like that Irish warmer.

Now if I didn't have to sell my house to afford all these things, I'd get a few. How the heck can a vest cost $98? I just ordered a British India Officer's shirts, and it only cost $65. Surely a vest would be comparatively less considering how much less work goes into it.

More Work?

Mojave Jack said:
Surely a vest would be comparatively less considering how much less work goes into it.

Actually I think they are probably alot more work than we realize. Think of making a suit jacket or blazer that lays right but without the sleeves. Linings and construction may be more like a jacket too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy