Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waist coats are a jacket's best friend...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I JUST love to wear a waist coat with a suit or a jacket and slacks. Something about it gents that just raises the stakes in cutting a dash! Of course waist coats are nothing new, and gentlemen from the 18th Century can be seen strutting their stuff in a fine array of these little jackets with big hearts. If a waist coat were reincarnated as a dog, I dare say it would be a breed like a mini schnauzer or a highland terrier, small in stature...but with the heart of a lion, that just demands to be respected.

Far from being the jacket's poor relation, or the young pretender to the throne, I personally feel it is the "power" behind the throne, that lifts the overall dress of the gentleman.

So versatile, it can be worn as a semi-casual item with the jacket off, in a variety of fabrics (moleskin is my fav) from a heavy country gent's tweed to a fine linen or flannel, to being worn as the full suit of armour as a three piece suit.

I rarely get compliments about a suit I wear, or a jacket...BUTTTTT, the waistcoats get LOADS, especially from the ladies! to quote one; " I love to see a man wearing a waistcoat, it's far too rare these days!!"

Yes gentlemen, there's something about a fine waistcoat that just raises you above the rest of the crowd. And the good news is, we're coming into good waist coat wearing weather again in many parts of the northern hemisphere, as autumn/fall settles in.

A figure hugging double breasted waistcoat, watch and chain, now that's what I call STYLE! (and don't forget, with single breasted waistcoats, always leave the bottom button undone, a fine tradition since one of the Kings of England established it).

So, who else has a penchant for waistcoats? and show us your pics (I know! I'm getting some sorted as we speak ;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Not a One, Ashamed to Say

There's a leather waistcoat ( I love the brit pronunciation, something like "wescut.") at Orvis I still covet, with lapels and pockets. Maybe Father Christmas will bring one this year... Though I've asked for the shearling/leather cap from HPA.
I saw a fellow in a tweedy waistcoat with watch pockets and lapels. He was a clerk in a mens clothing shop and I said "AHA! Sell me THAT!" Sadly, he'd had it custom made.
What I'd like to assemble for this winter is the sort of Shooting Clobber one sees in posed photos of English hunting parties. Tweed half-belt jackets, lapel'd wasitcoats, wide wale cords or heavy woolen trousers, and a soft cap. Picture any of the farmers in the James Herriot stories and you're about there.
Like this, as a general feel for what I'm after:
tweedy3.jpg
Or this, minus the smarmy expression:
tweedy2.jpg
This Cap, anyone make one like it?:
tweedy1.jpg

Anxious to see your wescuts, Paddy! :)

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
A poem of the Waistland....

Paddy,
That sets the standard for an ode to a waist coat! Excellent stuff indeed. I'll second the request to see some pictures of your (and the other gentlemen and ladies too!)examples of said item. Sadly I myself haven't a waist coat (yet!) ;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Little tweedy number...

Modelling what I call my "Last Man Standing" hat (vintage Henry the Hatter) and wearing a four pocket back and grey tweed waistcoat.
HenrytheHatter002.jpg

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
I really like a low cut 3-button waistcoat in Scottish tartan.

I think these are intended for formal Highland attire; but I just wear them underneath a low-gorge sports jacket.

It has a raffish quality.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The expedition vest is the one I want. If you get it, I'd love to see a picture of how it actually looks!
of course, both those are super, so why not get 'em both? :cheers1:

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
I have had made four three-button, low gorge tartan vests (one reddish, one greenish, one yellowish, and one blueish) from ,Burnetts-Struth in Canada resembling this except with horn rather than brass buttons:

vest.jpg

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Hello gents. I looked over this post awhile back and tried to make myself remember to post a link to a nice website with tons of waistcoats. I believe the ones that are seen at the gentlemansemporium link that sharpetoys posted are made by WahMaker. I have one of their vests and like it a lot. The list their clothing as frontier style but it really works well for late Victorian or Edwardian era clothing. The vests work nicely with newer style jackets as well. If I can get a pic posted of mine I'll do it. A very nice, dark wine coloured model that I enjoy wearing immensely.

Todd

http://reps.scullyleather.com/catalog/category.asp?BRN=WAH

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Evening gents. Just thought I'd add that the waistcoat I have is the 49'er model. The pics at gentlemansemporium don't do it credit. The little pic above the main pic shows a better likeness. It's definately darker than the main pic. I'd like to have one in the green as well.

BTW Scotrace. That pic is perfect. Though most here are really big on the late 30's/mid 40's look, that pic could have been taken from 1905-55 anywhere in the North of England to Dublin. Just a classic styling that I love dearly. Mayhaps because of all the Mick Irish blood in me! Well, I will own up to a bit of limey blood on me mother's side of the family. Great look. Man I love that cap!

Todd

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I am probably wrong...

Aren't waistcoats and vests 2 seperate types of garments? Though they look similar.
It is my understanding that a vest has buttons down the center, with the bottom one always left undone. The waistcoat is basically a vest with longer front panels like double breasted suit. One crosses over the other and buttons on the side.

Again I might be wrong. Can anyone clear this up?

Chad

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari