Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waist coats are a jacket's best friend...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Two Leather Vests

(The manufacturers call them vests)
petermanvest.jpg

The Lambsuede vest from J. Peterman (no longer offered). Low gorge, lapels, long. Flap pockets, paisley acetate backing and lining. A watch chain buttonhole. It's a sort of mottled chocolate brown.

orvisvest.jpg

Orvis Expedition Vest in cowhide. Higher gorge, lapels. Flap pockets, All leather back & front, acetate (gold) lined. Wish it were longer.​

I button the last button. If The King is sloppy, it can't be helped... :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Returning it

The Leather Expedition vest from Orvis has proved a disappointment. One of the waist adjuster buttons fell off out of the box, and now a front button has popped off. Being leather, it's not just a simple sew-on to repair. The leather is also showing signs of flaking.
Orvis has offered to take it back for a full refund (including all shipping), but I cannot exhange it as this item has been discontinued.
So I can either take it to a leather shop to have the buttons reattached and goop it up regularly, or send it back and do without the vest I coveted so long. Then again, the money could then go to my A2 savings cigar box.
Don't you hate when something you really wanted turns out to be a flop?

Morning suit

Veronica Parra said:
Now that is a classic look. I really like the morning suit, here jacket, trousers and lapeled DB vest, simply extraordinary. If anyone has seen the movie "International House" with W.C. Fields, Franklin Pangborn is the hotel manager an dhe has the best morning suit I have seen.

Man that is so great to see.

bgbdesign

New in Town
did someone say waistcoat?

Here are a few I have - they're worn when the mood strikes

I'll probably replace the shearling lining with cotton or satin on this one...too hot.
suedevest.jpg

A nice vivid red corduroy for the holidays
macred.jpg

Nobody can ignore this fancy corduroy
brentwood.jpg

I've worn this wool vest countless times-goes with anything
byford.jpg

An old tux vest and a wool low cut that really shows off a tie-almost too new for me!
dunhill.jpg

Browns "beachcloth" vests are fairly common- Leo wore one inTitanic!
browns.jpg

A very old linen-probably from the 30's
lin-bge.jpg

Another linen with a Beverly Hills label
linstripe.jpg

And the last is a jacket with it's own vest!
vestjkt1.jpg

IMG]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c365/troopcarrier/vestjkt2.jpg[/IMG]

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
THANKS!

Every once in awhile you get up in the morning and check the lounge and find - treasure!
Thanks for posting these pistures, those are fantastic and not something we'd see otherwise.
Thanks!!

bgbdesign

New in Town

Thanks much for the kind words-it was a bit of effort but here in the midwest US there is not a lot of local interest in this stuff. I'm happy to do it!
all the best
bg

Double Beasted vests -golden age

BellyTank said:
...for the record...

1937_Waistcoats.jpg

1937_Waistcoatsa.jpg

B
T
The two double breasted vests shown in these advertisement drawings, the peak and shawl lapels. Anyone com across any manufacturers or suppliers? I'd like a contact or web site if you know of a source.

Many thanks!

geo

Like I said in the 3-piece suit thread:

double-breasted waistcoat, this one in light grey wool:

proddetail.asp

You can ask them to make one especially for you in other fabrics that you see on their web site. They did a single-breasted one in charcoal chalkstripe for me to match the suit.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scotrace said:
Nice NICE! Is there a source?? Wow!
RRL stuff, as far as I can see, is widely unavailable. The entire line was vintage inspired and looked amazing (I'll post some more pics of the other pieces I have). It was also EX-PEN-SIVE! There may still be a RRL store NY, but I'm not sure.
That vest though, was purchased (sheilds self) at Marshalls a few years ago for like $20!!
flat-top

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
RRL -- also known as "double RL", or "Ralph Lauren Country Store" (same product, different name) -- is long gone. The line was discontinued a few years ago. Here in L.A., I only saw it sold in such vintage-inspired shops as American Rag Cie. RRL sold collarless shirts with a buttonhole on the back of the neckband: to insert a brass collar button in, of course! The neckties were unlined,folded over, AND short: just like the ones from the 1930s and before. Even the labels were artificially yellowed, in order to give them an aged, deadstock look. In other words, pure (fake) vintage. And as you said, their prices were obscene: a cotton plaid necktie -- nothing special, mind you -- cost over $60.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner