Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Want to order a Fed IV...questions

chum

Familiar Face
Size: I wear a 7 which is a bit snug. The site says they fit a bit snug so I was going to use their sizing chart and order a 57. (I measured my head and it is 22.5 inches)...advice appreciated
Is the only place I can get one direct from Akubra or are there US alternatives?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The Fed IV is an exclusive to Hatsdirect.com and their storefront in Australia.

I wear a size 7 too, compared to my Stetson size 7 (Temple), the Fed IV is very slightly larger. I ended up using about 1.5"-2" of the sizing tape which they send with the hat.

You might want to give them a ring and ask their advice...

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
In my experience, Federations run a little big and shrink up to the right size with use. However, that said, if you ask Hatsdirect for help and it's wrong, it's their mistake, not yours. ;)

rsperko

New in Town
I received my Fed IV for Christmas, Hats Direct was great and told me that the hats ran small. I was surprised to find it large when it arrived. I put in two four inch pieces of the foam on either side. I have since had to remove one, and could probably remove the second at this point. So just over one month and either it fits better or my head is growing. My wife thinks the later.

-Rick

stealthboy

New in Town
Just to throw in another data point here: I usually wear between a 58 and 59, depending on the manufacturer (my real size would be a 58.5). My Fed is a 58 and it is the best fitting hat I own. So, in my particular experience, Feds run a tad large for the size, but for me that worked out perfectly.

chum

Familiar Face
I ordered my Fed IV yesterday at about 10 pm central. They sent me an auto-response that one of their staff would contact me within 24 hours. That time is almost up...I am sure everything is OK...just starting to wonder. Hope there are no delays.

Chinaski

One Too Many
chum said:
I ordered my Fed IV yesterday at about 10 pm central. They sent me an auto-response that one of their staff would contact me within 24 hours. That time is almost up...I am sure everything is OK...just starting to wonder. Hope there are no delays.

We all understand. Calm down, Chum - you're getting the shakes! The Fed IV (IV stands for intravenous) will be in it's way in no time...

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Echoing the others, they run a little large...to start with. Use some of the fitting foam strips that come with them. Over time, you'll find you can start removing them gradually because the hat will conform (AKA shrink) to fit your head perfect.

frussell

One Too Many
Yes to all the above

It will shrink down a bit, and if you ordered it from HatsDirect, you have no worries. They are courteous and professional, and speedy. I've had nothing but positive experiences with them and would recommend them highly. Frank

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Hatsdirect are very good to deal with. They sent an automated email the moment the order was placed, and then a proper email not long afterwards to tell me that the order would be shipped in the next post. They hand-addressed the parcel to stop me paying duty on the hat, which worked in my case.

Therefore, the pros of dealing with hatsdirect are:
-they communicated well
-they shipped promptly
-the merchandise was of high quality
-the merchandise arrived after a week and a day, though this could be due to the postage people rather than Hatsdirect

Whilst the cons are:
-the cardboard packaging used was not quite strong enough to survive being manhandled by luggage handlers

To me, the good outweighs the bad by a lot, hence I would be quite happy to deal with them again should I want to order another Akubra.

The sizing and quality for the Federation also seems to be quite consistent, unlike for other hatmakers I have heard of where there has been variation for hats of the same size, as well as a general lack of quality control.

My opinion is that ordering a Federation is a no-brainer. Brilliant customer service and good quality at a competitive price.

JimWagner

Practically Family
I've ordered a couple of Akubra hats from Hats Direct, a Coolabah and a Stylemaster, and found them to be excellent to deal with. Both hats were received in less than 10 days and in perfect condition. I won't hesitate to order from them again.

chum

Familiar Face
Chinaski said:
We all understand. Calm down, Chum - you're getting the shakes! The Fed IV (IV stands for intravenous) will be in it's way in no time...

I know, I know! I got the email and the IV is on its way!:eusa_clap

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Chum -

Echoing what others have said, Hats Direct is a stand-up outfit and extremely easy to deal with. Only negative is, good grief, they should ship in something other than the cardboard hat box with a few pieces of tape slapped on if it's traveling half way around the globe. But Akubras are tough and if there's a serious issue, H.D. will make it right.

As for size, the Hampton is Imperial grade felt and it will very likely shrink down to fit you pretty well. My experience with the Heritage grade felt (I have seven of those) is that it won't shrink appreciably, even if abused. At least not over the few years I've had them. They all run about a half size larger, probably to allow for that shrinkage. That's why they fit me so well - a nominal 59 in Heritage felt fits my 59.5 cm head perfectly and stays that way.

I know a lot of people use them, but I can't cotton to the foam strips under the sweatband. If you find your hats shrinks too much, yes it can be stretched a bit. No worries, mate! Enjoy your hat.

- Bill

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
My first order from Hats Direct came in a pristine box. It looked like it was carefully boxed and hand carried from next door. I couldn't believe how perfect the box was after traveling half way around the world. No problem with any other order, Some of the boxes weren't as perfect, but never any damage.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
You know, I thought their boxing choice was poor, too. But having received 5 hats from them, and used those same boxes numerous times for shipping hats in and out, they seem to fair better than any other method, even double boxing! lol

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Get the 56 (7). You do not say whether you're getting the Fed IV in standard or deluxe, but the felt in the standard will shrink a bit, the 25% denser deluxe felt hardly at all.

HatsDirect is great, but keep in mind that their size orientation is predicated on the way-big Fed III, so they tend to currently suggest sizes for the truer-to actual-size Fed IV that are too large for customers. Accordingly, I would get the 56, and if it's a tad large, fit it down to size with inserts, as my experience with the Fed IV is that it fits pretty much like all Akubras, a bit big to allow for shinkage in the standared, Imperial quality felt.

The foam strips HatsDirect furnishes with all Akubras work fine, but it's kind of cheesey, and the stickum will sometimes pull the liner away when the hat shrinks enough to remove some or all of it.

I prefer the felt pads that David Morgan supplies with its hats. They also sell them separately for $1.00 a pair, but, of course, there's eight bucks shipping, so ordering just a pair or even a few pair makes no economic sense. Another good option is plain wool felt in a neutral beige color; that is available at fabric and craft stores, and you can cut it into strips the exact size you need to make the hat fit.

You will love your Fed IV, and it will last forever.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
AlterEgo said:
Another good option is plain wool felt in a neutral beige color; that is available at fabric and craft stores, and you can cut it into strips the exact size you need to make the hat fit.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Joeyeah_right

New in Town
Finally ordered one!

Hi all,
First post for me :)
After reading these forums for the past couple of weeks I have finally done it and ordered a Carbon Grey Fed IV :)
I've had the page open on my browser for the past week and had the order page set up and ready to go all day today and finally clicked the "send order" box and paid for it.
I am really excited now. I can't wait to get it!

Just thought I'd mention it :)

Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24