Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Want to use a cap/hat for Halloween party...ideas?

tracyam

One of the Regulars
First, I'd like to apologize if I've put this in the wrong forum.

Hey people. I need a Halloween costume on the cheap and could use some ideas. The one rule is that I want to wear either a newsboy or a fedora with it. I have no vintage clothes so nothing cool like a gangster and I do not have a whip...so no Indy either.
Due to my limitations I'm thinking I may just have to throw on some zombie make-up and dress normal. Can't ever go wrong with zombie make-up I guess. I would like some ideas from people though.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Come on Tracyam,

Take the plunge - go all out! One of these with a set of six-shooters will do the trick (or treat!) :D

foamcowboyhat.jpg

-dixon 'cowboy' cannon

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Hooookay...zombies are always in fashion.

Here in Atlanta, a friend always throws a super Halloween bash and usually names a theme, but you can wear anything - or nothing (wait, that's not what I meant) - or nothing special, you're welcome anyway. But thinking about your ideas around fedoras and newsboys:

(1) Dress like a 1930's hobo. A beater fedora or a newsboy would work equally well. Fits in with the tenor of the current economic times...although that may be turning around. A ragged, motheaten thrift-store sports jacket is helpful. Get some secondhand pants and poke holes in the knees. Smudge some charcoal around your face. If you can play anything on harmonica, no matter how badly, that's a plus. Trust me, it'll work. Halloween is supposed to be scary, and anything that reminds us of the economy will do that!

(2) On the entire other end of the scale...if you have the clothing at hand...dress like a fashionable gentleman from the 1930's or 1940's. Sharp suit, period-specific tie, shined shoes. This is actually exotic to most of our contemporaries. Shoot, even wearing a tie now elicits comments (alright, I'm getting cynical, I admit it). But think about it - you'll be the only one. It will stand out amongst the zombies!

(3) Carrying no. 2 further, what about a zoot suit? You'd need a wide-brimmed fedora, but super baggy dress pants shouldn't be too hard to come by and a short wide tie...you get the idea. It could be way cool. Get the longest, thinnest dog choke chains you can find, link about three of them together with split rings for a watch chain.

OK, that's all I can come up with, next....

- Bill

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
1. How about wearing a newsboy to be a News Boy? Grab a newspaper, and old jacket, and stuff your trousers into your socks!

2. Got a bush jacket? You could go as Mac from Indy 4 (with newsboy) or as a hunter if you have the right fedora.

3. I like the "PRESS" idea, honestly. Be sure to wear the front of the brim up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy