Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warportraits - Portraits of war

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I am wild about portraits.
Especially warportraits has always fascinated me.
How young - and yet old they looked.

Let's share some of our most loved portraits - and remember them.

My first favourit shot is of John Kilmartin - an Irishman who joined RAF and flew in 43 Squadon in France and during Battle of Britain.
To me he has that dashing "Brylcreme" look. And yet so earnest.
Besides that, it's a highquality, welllit photo. Not like many of the later snapshots - it has almost studiolight and atmosphere.
1st_squad_kilmartin_stratto-1.jpg

My second favourit portrait is far more snapshot like - and still it is a strong image of a young, laughing RAF pilot from the dark days of Battle of Britain.
The Southafrican Albert "Zulu" Lewis - he dovned 18 enemy planes before he himself got shot down, blinded by flames.
Hopefully this dashing young man - with the floating mane of hair - got over it 100% and got his sight back to fly again.
What I like about this picture is his smile - his carefree attitude and lack of stiff uniform.
L1010083.jpg

What are you favourits?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Good thread Spitfire.

Unfortunately my scanner's on the fritz at the moment but I see you have Kaplan and Colliers "The Few" in which case I love the pic of Cobber Kain on the top left of page 178.

Another personally fave is Kennington's portrait of the Norwegian ace, Marius Eriksen.

I'm also keen on this one of Cobber (sorry it's small but when the scanner's up and running I'll post a decent size photo)

pilot.jpg

More to come!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
RAF fighter boys having a well deserved pint.

Leonard.jpg

I just love this photo. I get the feeling that one of the boys has asked a friend or ground crew to take his camera and run off a few snaps for the album!!

Look at some of the faces and the belying stress of operations is telling. Very young fellas living often on an hour-to-hour basis.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That is a wonderful photo Paddy.

Sadly, two of those men would be killed later on in the Battle of Britain (Sgt Jowlett - third from right, and Plt Off Bickerdike - extreme left), and two more would be killed later in the war (Flg Off Woods-Scawen - second from left, and Flt Lt Lee - centre).

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I' ve allways loved that photo of Gentile. So appearently relaxed - but also shy.
Especially if you hold it up against the one of Chistensen, with the typical fighterpilot attitude.
Imagine how many pilots who were asked to do this and that, only because the photographer had that image of "a fighterpilot" in his head.
The photographers got the pictures they wanted and needed for the propaganda at the homefront. The pilots must have laughed behind their backs. Or maybe they were just shamefull.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
One of those photos that's probably been reproduced half a million times, but it's still great:

454px-Francis_Gabreski_color_photo_in_pilot_suit.jpg

Francis 'Gabby' Gabreski

...note the profusion of British flight gear. Supposedly many pilots found the British flight gear more comfortable. Gabby was no exception, and even combined his non-combat uniform with British bits, such as his '36 pattern boots.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Finally got the scanner going.

Here's the two I mentioned above. Here is a wonderful photo of Cobber Kain (the New Zealander who was the first RAF ace of the War) which was taken during a press visit to 73 Squadron whilst they were in France

Cobber.jpg

And here is Norwegian Spitfire Ace Marius Eriksen painted by Kennington

ME.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
It was painted in 1942 Spitfire.

He was an interesting fellow, Olympic ski jumper, Norwegian film star, fighter pilot and POW. He was also the youngest fighter pilot in the Norwegian RAF squadrons. The painting is from the frontispiece of his autobiography "Marius - Skil??per, Jageress, Krigsfange" which he wrote with Cato Guhnfeldt. You should pick up a copy, great book.

60Years2Late

New in Town
You guys amaze me.

Man, I don't know where you guys get your information, but I'm awestruck. How do you people learn so much about those guys? Like with the beer drinkers? How'd you know who died, and all of that? I mean, it'd be one thing if it was like a flags of our fathers thing, but such trivial photos, one of billions, and you guys rattle of their life (and sometimes death) stories like it's cool.

I guess what I'm trying to say is tear me out a page from your book, so I can read about all these guys and learn their stories. I love old vets stories.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Just speaking for myself 60Years2Late, but the RAF in WWII (and more especially during the Battles of France and Britain) is my major interest and has been for years and years. Over that time you tend to collect a lot of books, research and have read a lot of stuff about the subject.

Nothing more to it than that!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a few from my own collection...

A color shot of Col. Don:
blakeclr.jpg

Bert Stiles- Author of 'Serenade to the Big Bird':
bertstiles.jpg

Irion - Bert's wingman who saw him crash that day in Nov,
44:
IRIONbertstileswingman.jpg

Glenn Eagleston:
Eagleston.jpg

Maj. Jack Kidd:
majorjackkidd.jpg

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm posting a few more..

..trying to keep this thread going!

This Man needs no introduction: Yes! He was a spokemodel for eBay, even back then!....sorry about that!
clarkgable.jpg

Jack Conger: The man credited with killing 'Washing Machine Charlie'
jackcongerSMALL.jpg

Carl Hellerich:
carlhellerich418thBG.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails