Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warportraits - Portraits of war

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Uncle Dana 1941

Member of a mounted cavalry unit. Unit was disbanded mid-war, they went mechanized. His unit rode their mounts to a slaughter house, dismounted, stripped off the tack and loaded it onto a truck. When he told me this I said "that must have been a sad day." He look me square in the eye and said "I was never so glad to get rid of anything in my life." Later he was part of the invasion force on Okinawa. He never spoke of that to anyone.

Ponsenby

Familiar Face
WW2 Portraits? Oh man..here we go, one of my favourite subjects and interestes in collecting. Lets start with some Aussies! No info available unfortunately- just random pics I have saved from obscurity or the trash!!!:mad:

96290-16258.jpg

DSC02805sm.jpg

DSC02800sm.jpg

DSC02801sm.jpg

DSC02802sm.jpg

DSC02806sm.jpg

Chas

One Too Many
DougBurnhamNavy1942_sm.jpg

My Dad, Leading Coder Douglas Burnham. He served on Flower Class Corvettes HMCS Moosejaw, HMCS Saskatoon and the Castle Class Frigate HMCS Huntsville.

Passed away last Dec.

Orsini

Familiar Face
Spitfire said:
...My second favourit portrait is far more snapshot like - and still it is a strong image of a young, laughing RAF pilot from the dark days of Battle of Britain.
The Southafrican Albert "Zulu" Lewis - he dovned 18 enemy planes before he himself got shot down, blinded by flames.
Hopefully this dashing young man - with the floating mane of hair - got over it 100% and got his sight back to fly again.
What I like about this picture is his smile - his carefree attitude and lack of stiff uniform.
L1010083.jpg

What are you favourits?
Says here he was back in three months or so: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-British_personnel_in_the_RAF_during_the_Battle_of_Britain

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Albert Lewis was not only a very good pilot and an Ace - from the little I have been able to find about him, he was also a rather extraordinay personallity.
I am still searching for bits of information about him, so if anybody know of something, please let me know.
I know that he lived in USA for some time and joined the Mormon Church there, before he went back to UK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails