Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warportraits - Portraits of war

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Now tell me...

ColJamesLuper.jpg

Is this our own Adolf Galland, or what?!!!

-dixon cannon

sean138

New in Town
Snap shot take by my grandfather.

I have always be fascinated by this picture.

1.jpg

Taken somewhere in N.Africa. On the back it says "Lt. Kiss, Hot Pilot"

Sean

sean138

New in Town
One of my grandfather

Here is my favorite. My gradfather, Gerald Polsley. He was a radio repair guy.

grandpapolsley.jpg

My other favorite. Grandpa Smart. Glider Instructor at Camp Bragg.

grandpasmart.jpg

sean

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
'Pappy' Moran at work...

SFM_Guadal_300B.jpg

USMC 1st Division, 11th Marines, D2 - Intelligence, Guadalcanal, 1942.

The bespeckled gent in the middle, intently taking notes, in Lt. Col. Edmund J. Buckley - my uncle.

-dixon cannon

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
***RULES OF ENGAGEMENT***

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT IN THIS ROOM

Gents, I rarely have to draw attention to this (It's a sticky at the top of the WWII room), but it's always worth a reminder, especially for new members.

The rules are there out of respect and value for 'all' our members on the Lounge.

Thanks for your understanding with this and continued support.

Regards, PADDY.

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
could be. The tan seems a little too well developed. I don't think he was in egypt for that long. I imagine that identfying the uniform that the African chap is wearing will give definitive answer.

I'd go for "Egyptian Army" uniform, doesn't look a French Sipahi... nor a tirailleur... "too tight pants" But honestly, you need one of these "uniform people" give it one look and relate even the color of the horse that is not in the picture ;) Then again "definite" answer doesn't say they are in Egypt then necessarily...

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Here's a picture of my parents shortly after they were married and right before Pearl Harbor.
2202644474_396f6ff6cb.jpg

Here's my mother's sister, she was a nurse. She was sailing to the Pacific theater when the war ended and served in Japan during the occupation. Letters to home noted more treatment for VD then battle wounds.
2201853637_efe3f26a6c.jpg

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
OK, so as I know you guys are into "Aviation Jackets" heres a few rarer treats maybe...

2004_theme_14_04.jpg

(yes, they *are* beer bottle labels... an I *do* have a pair of Laplander boots, but I don't wear them that high rolled up)

kahla1.jpg

(just had to post it here for the sake of the gloves)

Hist-27l.jpg

(note the compass)

So the "A-2" equivalent was an "issued" normal army jacket cut jerkin for the tank guys

Sturm1.jpg

Which the aviators adapted
zimbo-1s.jpg

that is mostly for pilots
stromberg_1.jpg

but then there were the self-procured jackets
(the cane is a mark of "old age" 100 missions, see the guy getting the wreath above)
calle_co_s.jpg

And it seems a lot of "tailored" jackets (looks like a fur collar and armlets)
tuomin1.jpg

And a two-row mod
kataja01.jpg

But in the summer it was the regular issue
juutilainen.jpg

Windsock

A-List Customer
Took me a while to find this great thread......

My Uncle,

He was in the 9th Div AIF, 2/32nd Bat. He was involved with the terrible battles at El Alamein and Tobruk, and as the threat from Japan loomed these guys were brought back here for Jungle training then sent up to northern New Guinea, against an entirely different Enemy and conditions. He survived and although he died in the '70's I remember him well but of course he didn't tell us about his time.

Last year I was incredibly fortunate to make contact with a fellow who's still fighting fit who knew him well from the same Platoon, and amazingly he had four photos of Ray which our family had never seen! I'll bet he never thought someone would come knocking. We don't have any other shots of him so this was the first time i'd seen his familiar face in over 30 years. Needless to say these are now treasured.

The only item of his I have (that he must have treasured to drag it back) was an old captured Italian mess tin. It's very battered and is covered with Italian names and the unit number-that of an artillery company. My contact said that the significance may have been that it was a good design and that eating was the most important activity to them! He also said that unit would have taken a terrible beating.

This one is a studio portrait taken in Tel Aviv ( I digitally re-coloured it) and another much later.

070220portraitcolour.jpg

image0-5col.jpg

jake431

Practically Family
Here's one of my Grandfather, on leave, after he flew his missions in the Pacific (he's the guy in the center):
GrandpaOnLeaveJune1944.jpg

Here are a couple more:
Grandpa-IDunnoWhere.jpg

Flight training:
GrandpainB3.jpg

During missions (you can see the tension on his face):
Grandpa-AfterMissions.jpg

Windsock

A-List Customer
I totally agree Paddy.....especially the early ones like this one.

This portrait is of my Uncles father c 1915. MIA 19th July 1916, Battle of Fromelle.

studioshotfront.jpg

I'll post something in the "Relatives" thread soon.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Windsock said:
I totally agree Paddy.....especially the early ones like this one.

This portrait is of my Uncles father c 1915. MIA 19th July 1916, Battle of Fromelle.

studioshotfront.jpg

I'll post something in the "Relatives" thread soon.

Great photo Andrew.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails