Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warportraits - Portraits of war

LHR

New in Town
Hello, all. First post here. Four photos, a snapshot of a young man at war. Grandpa:

Grandpa-Scanned-18.jpg

Grandpa-Scanned-14.jpg

Grandpa-Scanned-15.jpg

Grandpa-Scanned-17.jpg

Still with us. Lives all by himself at age 92, chasing the ladies. A tough old bird!

zaika

One Too Many
my grandfather was the only one i know of who served. here are a couple of pictures i have of him. every time i see my grandfather's picture, i see my dad. it's creepy!!

anyway

1520440543_5b818379c3.jpg

i like this one...

1520476329_f6caa6a2b1.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Great pics Zaika and Twitch.

Here's another favourite of mine, F/O Jack Riddle of 601 Sqn. This was taken during the Battle of Britain. The strain The Few were under and how hard the fight was is so apparent on his face.

JackRiddle.jpg

Corto

A-List Customer
Boyington

One of my favorite WWII portraits is this particular one of Col. Gregory "Pappy" Boyington (USMC).

I like his sneer...he's either showing his contempt for the Japanese or the PAO taking the photo. Or Both.

Regardless he looks meaner than a snake. No one I'd want to tangle with in the air, or on the ground.

451px-Pappy_Boyington.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
U728830ACME.jpg

Just stumbled over this great portrait of Johnnie Johnson - the top british ace.
Looks like he has upgraded his BD jacket with some brassbuttons. But what a grin!

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:
U728830ACME.jpg

Just stumbled over this great portrait of Johnnie Johnson - the top british ace.
Looks like he has upgraded his BD jacket with some brassbuttons. But what a grin!
I love Johnnie... only pilot i can think of that used to strap kegs to his wings to bring back for the boys at the air fields! :eusa_clap

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
SpitfireXIV said:
I love Johnnie... only pilot i can think of that used to strap kegs to his wings to bring back for the boys at the air fields! :eusa_clap

Actually Spitfire XIV, that was a fairly common thing, especially when squadrons were first being based in France and supplies were scant of certain items, beer being one. As well as traditional beer kegs, drop tanks were also filled with beer for squadrons in France. I've got a good pic of a Norwegian Spitfire pilot waiting whilst the ground crew write "JOY JUICE" on the newly filled "beer tank" ;)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Keep turning back to this - IMO - great portrait of a very worn out fighterpilot from the Battle of Britain: The South African Albert Lewis - 18 confirmed enemy planes downed. Among them 5 in one sortie.

A-G-LEWIS-003-1.jpg

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
Seriously great photo's everyone, The casualness and the formality and finality of it all in one snapshot.
I love the photos, especially taken with medium and large format cameras .

I wanted to contribute a photo of a nose gunner of a b-24 squadron in Italy sometime in 1944 from customer who supplied me with his dad book (who took the photos) and his fathers self portrait.

256217859.jpg

And a nice photo during gunner training back here in the states

256224140.jpg

Dig it .
Jerome

sixsexsix

Practically Family
My grandfather, finishing up training in England before being deployed in WW2. If you think he looks young, it's because he is. He lied about his age at 16 to join the Canadian Army. He served in the IV Princess Louise Dragoon Guards and was sent to Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, and (obviously) the UK, where he met my grandmother after the war.
papa.jpg

We are still super close, he is more of a father figure to me than my dad ever was and my respect for him is never-ending.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
rangers-1.jpg

medic-1.jpg

I think the Germans had some of the best ones, especially during their retreats. Holding off the Russian horde is a tough job.
tiredsoldat.jpg

SSman-1.jpg

USGermansoldiers.jpg

luftpilotwithdog9mobx8.jpg

Execution.
execution-2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails