Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wash your jeans?

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I went to a high school built in sometime in the 1910s. An old school, but it was kept up very well. Janitors were top notch. A small community with limited tax revenue. We used old wooden chairs and wooden-seated desks. I don't know how much that played into it, but as we all wore jeans daily, the seats of our jeans and corners of our pockets would get brown and eventually a light hue of green. Simple dirt, dust, etc build up. At least weekly, mom would have to wash the jeans at the sight of those dirty corners. I'm sure the people down in FFA and agriculture were washing more often than that. I can't imagine any kind of school uniform where washing would be discouraged or negative in any way. What kind of useless clothing would that be? I'm a bigger fan of wool than cotton, and I still wash my clothing on the regular. So the idea of denim, a utility work fabric, not being able to be washed is baffling to me. If not straight-up crazy talk, to me. I couldn't buy a denim or canvas piece of clothing with hesitation towards washing on the regular. Does-not-compute. I can't even get near the idea of putting filthy clothing in freezers, microwaves, and wherever other tinfoil-lined hats, and coffee grounds in the corners, philosophies gather. Hoping not to offend anyone with such reactions, but that's firmly where my thoughts go.

So the idea of denim, a utility work fabric, not being able to be washed is baffling to me. If not straight-up crazy talk, to me. I couldn't buy a denim or canvas piece of clothing with hesitation towards washing on the regular. Does-not-compute. I can't even get near the idea of putting filthy clothing in freezers, microwaves, and wherever other tinfoil-lined hats, and coffee grounds in the corners, philosophies gather. Hoping not to offend anyone with such reactions, but that's firmly where my thoughts go.

Well said.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I went to a high school built in sometime in the 1910s. An old school, but it was kept up very well. Janitors were top notch. A small community with limited tax revenue. We used old wooden chairs and wooden-seated desks. I don't know how much that played into it, but as we all wore jeans daily, the seats of our jeans and corners of our pockets would get brown and eventually a light hue of green. Simple dirt, dust, etc build up. At least weekly, mom would have to wash the jeans at the sight of those dirty corners. I'm sure the people down in FFA and agriculture were washing more often than that. I can't imagine any kind of school uniform where washing would be discouraged or negative in any way. What kind of useless clothing would that be? I'm a bigger fan of wool than cotton, and I still wash my clothing on the regular. So the idea of denim, a utility work fabric, not being able to be washed is baffling to me. If not straight-up crazy talk, to me. I couldn't buy a denim or canvas piece of clothing with hesitation towards washing on the regular. Does-not-compute. I can't even get near the idea of putting filthy clothing in freezers, microwaves, and wherever other tinfoil-lined hats, and coffee grounds in the corners, philosophies gather. Hoping not to offend anyone with such reactions, but that's firmly where my thoughts go.

Sounds like good and useful common sense. What I've also learned here is that 14 oz is probably more practical and harder wearing than 21 oz hipster denim.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I don't hate washing, and I hand wash my clothes since they are too little quantity to machine wash, and I hate the idea of piling dirty laundry for several days in my climate and humidity level. while I don't care about cool fadez, hand washing a heavyweight denim is a chore I hate to do too often, and beside as long as I don't soil them they just need brushing and put in the sun inside out, washing jeans weekly is too much for my lifestyle since I just wear it indoor and I don't spill anything or get caught in rain in it, I wash my jeans/ or other pants monthly when I wear them frequently, or longer if I rotate between them.

I do like my jeans to stay dark as long as possible, maybe later when it shows too much fading I will re dye them.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't hate washing, and I hand wash my clothes since they are too little quantity to machine wash, and I hate the idea of piling dirty laundry for several days in my climate and humidity level. while I don't care about cool fadez, hand washing a heavyweight denim is a chore I hate to do too often, and beside as long as I don't soil them they just need brushing and put in the sun inside out, washing jeans weekly is too much for my lifestyle since I just wear it indoor and I don't spill anything or get caught in rain in it, I wash my jeans/ or other pants monthly when I wear them frequently, or longer if I rotate between them.

I do like my jeans to stay dark as long as possible, maybe later when it shows too much fading I will re dye them.

Jeez - I do two full machine loads of washing a week just for me.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I'm confused on how the sun would offer a remedy to something if the item is turned inside out. There's bacteria, body oils, and gunk accumulating on both sides. Wouldn't both sides have to be exposed to the sunlight? Unless you're The Boy in the Plastic Bubble, it's happening. I also acknowledge that, as a culture, we probably overwash in the USA, but as I said, just going to school, sitting at desks, and then going home got my jeans visibly dirty over the period of a single week.

Davidm

Familiar Face
so, im a denimhead with 15+ year of experience, and well i own like 15+ pairs off all those cool Japanese brands like samurai, kapital, flat head, iron heart, somet, warehouse, etc.
and i must say one thing: just wash it when it's dirty.
thats all. you will get all the crazy fades if you dont babysit your jeans.
Also the detergent is important (i always use an organic, no bleach, gentle one)
And well temperature (i always do 30c, no tumble dry).
and do it inside-out.
Thats all.
Previously i always hand-washed, but now i found there is almost no difference if it 30c, gentle cycle.
Also if you dont wash - it will damage the fabric very fast.

Mich486

One Too Many
The thing is cotton will lose its original colour wash after wash and fade. In my opinion, just take it easy and wash when it gets dirty.

In my experience, jeans will need replacing due to tears etc. well before losing all of their indigo.

Honestly, I don’t understand how the sun can replace water and detergent either. Toss it in the washing machine and push the button., really it’s that simple.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
"Wash when it gets dirty" is not all that helpful. When is something dirty?

I could wash my jeans every day in summer. Once it gets over 100 degrees, the amount of sweat that gets in them in a single day is pretty awesome. Something doesn't have to appear dirty to be so. People's idea of when an item of clothing is dirty varies so much. Sunshine does kill bacteria and fade stains and may be used between washes.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
We used to wash and wash and wash concert T-shirts in cold water and line dry them with almost no color fading. I get that denim and canvas are different. These new-fangled frontloaders have really gentle "delicate" cycles, and some of them even have a "handwash" cycle that is even more gentle. I use those for my wools, and I lose no color.

Mich486

One Too Many
"Wash when it gets dirty" is not all that helpful. When is something dirty?

I could wash my jeans every day in summer. Once it gets over 100 degrees, the amount of sweat that gets in them in a single day is pretty awesome. Something doesn't have to appear dirty to be so. People's idea of when an item of clothing is dirty varies so much. Sunshine does kill bacteria and fade stains and may be used between washes.

I believe common sense is the key here. People might have different standards but it’s really not a philosophical question to work out when your clothing needs washing. If you sweat it in wash it, if it’s got stains wash it, if it reeks wash it, we can go on I guess but it really seems trivial to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
By the way, some of these small RV/tiny house/apartment washing machines you can buy for <$100 use jets to create water movement. You supply the water with a bucket, so you can use freezing water if you choose. I would think they'd be a prime tool for things such as delicate denim. Beats the heck out of handwashing.

I think it was alluded to earlier but washing denim actually increases its lifespan. The dirt/grime and acidic sweat, etc will greatly decrease denims sustainability. That’s why you see so many of the crazy heavy denims shredding after two years when they should last 10 or more. I won’t wear any pair of trousers more than two times before a wash. Maybe three. Anything that close to my naughty bits needs to be laundered on the reg. I’ll pass on the mind bending fades. No thank you very much.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think those denimhead with blown crotch do something else other than not washing their pants, like exaggerated cycling to get the leg fade, leaning against expose concrete wall etc.

when someone like me who sit on my own desk the whole day the only "dirt" gets on the pants is eraser rolls and pencil dust, maybe here and there oreo crumbs, and perhaps some cat hair on the lower leg. I baked them inside out in the sun just to get rid of possible mold since it is rainy season for half a year in my climate and the inside of the pants rarely see the sun light and could use some UV exposure, I use bristle brush to brush off loose dirt or possible skincell dust or whatever trapped on the creases and seams, and I spray dettol mixture on it as antibacterial.

if I hike or bike or play in the mud, or get into the sea then roll around in the sand like what people do with their jeans, then I probably wash it after every wear as my nose and my skin is quite sensitive to any irritant, but for my normal everyday activity monthly wash is nearly too soon.

I use batik detergent to wash mine, inside out also with brushing, I think it is as clean or cleaner than tossing it around randomly inside a stainless steel drum and some soapy water in a gentle cycle, the most effort goes to turning a fully wet heavy denim inside out and the other way around, it is like wresting with reticulated phyton with one hand, while your other arm eaten by moray eel even more inside the limited space of my shower cabin.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I believe common sense is the key here. People might have different standards but it’s really not a philosophical question to work out when your clothing needs washing. If you sweat it in wash it, if it’s got stains wash it, if it reeks wash it, we can go on I guess but it really seems trivial to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one's talking philosophy... but common sense and clothing rarely go together. If they did this site wouldn't be here.

Differing standards is no trivial matter - how else do you think we arrived at the never wash, wash yearly, and use a freezer schools? I know denim heads who think this is common sense.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
same question about how often you should condition your leather jacket

how come some claim leather jacket that you wear and being exposed to the elements and salinity of our own sweat never need conditioning because museum piece that stay on a bust in controlled environment doesn't need conditioning.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Maybe I've already said this (I don't remember, dementia is kicking in), but I think the only metric that matters on the issue of unwashed jeans is what wives/partners/girlfriends/love interests think. Sorry, but I have walked away from models because of poor personal hygiene that made me gag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21