Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washing machine question

zebedee

One Too Many
After realising that the anti-covid liquid that had saturated my delivered-to-Shanghai Mariner had not all been washed off by a quick shower, I put the jacket into a pillowcase and cold washed it for 15 mins without any detergent and then air-dried it. The Vicenza feels much as it did before, just without the slight residue. Questions are: is the washing machine likely to have damaged it (and if not... why not), and should I do more than just give it a thin coat of Renapur?

No, cold water definitely didn't damage it in any way. I'm now pretty sure water is actually beneficial to leather, more than many expensive conditioners, as a matter of fact and I would even skip on the Renapur.

Just make sure to dry the jacket away from sun and heat but you already know that.

zebedee

One Too Many
Good to know. I don't think I'd put any others in the machine, though - I have too much time on my hands for worry as it is! I would have thought that some of the oils or waxes might have been affected, but maybe not.

Yango

One of the Regulars
If the leather feels dry, you might want to condition it.

Tap water is treated […After the water has been filtered, water treatment plants may add one or more chemical disinfectants (such as chlorine, chloramine, or chlorine dioxide) to kill any remaining parasites, bacteria, or viruses…] these chemicals can and do dry out human skin, so it’s definitely possible for it to dry out a leather jacket.

I use Pecard’s Leather Lotion on my jackets once or twice a year. It cleans and conditions the leather… it even brings back that new leather smell that we all know and love!

You’re the best judge as to whether your jacket needs treatment or not.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I've washed my Aeros and many others.. Always cold water and always hang dry, no heat. The washing machine drums makes squeaking noise when its spinning dry. Washing two at a time will balance it out and no squeaking. These are heavy jackets especially when soaked through. If I am washing just one jacket I do it by hand now to reduce wear and tear on my washer. I always flip it inside out so the lining can get a good clean.
If you are going to condition it, wait until its fully dried. Sometimes it takes a long time for the leather to fully dry. You can check it with a tissue paper in the folded spots. If you get moisture when pressed it's still wet even it looks dry.
Are you allowed out and about now?

zebedee

One Too Many
I've washed my Aeros and many others.. Always cold water and always hang dry, no heat. The washing machine drums makes squeaking noise when its spinning dry. Washing two at a time will balance it out and no squeaking. These are heavy jackets especially when soaked through. If I am washing just one jacket I do it by hand now to reduce wear and tear on my washer. I always flip it inside out so the lining can get a good clean.
If you are going to condition it, wait until its fully dried. Sometimes it takes a long time for the leather to fully dry. You can check it with a tissue paper in the folded spots. If you get moisture when pressed it's still wet even it looks dry.
Are you allowed out and about now?
No, we're still locked down. I can walk around the compound, but nobody can leave its grounds. I did get a travel pass for a booster shot. It was an arse-pain getting that travel pass. A colleague and I got the jabs and were taken to the hospital and back by a 'private car' - it was a bus, fully disinfected and driven by a bloke in a Baymax suit. A bus. For two men. I gotta get back to Hong Kong :)

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
No, we're still locked down. I can walk around the compound, but nobody can leave its grounds. I did get a travel pass for a booster shot. It was an arse-pain getting that travel pass. A colleague and I got the jabs and were taken to the hospital and back by a 'private car' - it was a bus, fully disinfected and driven by a bloke in a Baymax suit. A bus. For two men. I gotta get back to Hong Kong :)
It must been really hard for such long time. I still talk to an old colleague who is Taiwanese who has a Chinese wife and family and unfortunately he also lives in Shanghai. And he has trouble getting a travel pass too. And he also tried to take his whole family back to Taiwan but no luck.
Hang in there. The word is that things are in phase of opening back up now. Might be hard to get out on the first direct flights to Hong Kong but there’s also the Shenzhen route and cross over if you don’t mind the hustle. Godspeed.

zebedee

One Too Many
The travel pass is authorised by the whole community/representative thereof (a hospital visit will usually sort it)... we think things may open up soon- when they do, I think that expats are going to be heading directly to the airports. I managed to book flights to HK in late July, which is good.
Cheers!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That's great you got your flight ticket booked!
I was there back in '03 and it was very different then. Just temp checks on the highway stops and at airports. Things have definitely changed a lot since then.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ