Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washing one's face with beauty soap

live vintageous

Familiar Face
Sigh of relief!

Six, that's good to know!! I have some broken caps around my nose for a few years from a rhassoul clay soap I tried. Being on a budget, I've been trying to get rid of them on my own, but I may just have to cave and go see my derm and have them zapped. Do you think it was a lasor of some sort?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lye soap does not contain many of the harsh chemicals that modern soaps do. It has no dyes, fragrances or additives that can irritate skin. It is supposed to be very good for dry skin, as it's mostly glycerin (what is formed when the lye and the lard combine during the making of lye soap). It was very popular during the earlier parts of the 20th century.

Also, it's not just good for dry skin! My mom has combination skin - the dry parts are very dry and the oily parts are very oily, and she is prone to breakouts. She has been very happy with her skin since she started using a traditional lye soap.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
live vintageous said:
Six, that's good to know!! I have some broken caps around my nose for a few years from a rhassoul clay soap I tried. Being on a budget, I've been trying to get rid of them on my own, but I may just have to cave and go see my derm and have them zapped. Do you think it was a lasor of some sort?

I think it was a little laser, the instrument looked kind of like an electric toothbrush. I was in for something else, and he did it free of charge. It literally took 2 seconds.

perfectredlips

New in Town
I have tried L'Occitane's cold cream soap and it really dried out my winter skin. I currently use Queen Helene's Cold Cream on my face as a pak and to remove makeup but in the summer my skin gets oily so i have been looking for a good facal soap. Thanks for starting this thread.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Do any of you ladies use Cetaphil? It was recommended by my dermatologist for my super-sensitive skin. I use it as a make-up remover and a facewash, and haven't had any problems.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
sixsexsix said:
Do any of you ladies use Cetaphil? It was recommended by my dermatologist for my super-sensitive skin. I use it as a make-up remover and a facewash, and haven't had any problems.

Yes, I use Cetaphil except for some occasions when I use OCM. I have been using Cetaphil for many years and love it. It's perfect for sensitive skin and removes makeup well.

To be honest, though, most of the time, I just clean my face with toner, unless I've been sweating or wearing makeup.

Jenautica

Familiar Face
A few years ago, a friend gave me a sample of a Japanese beauty soap made with volcanic ash. It was so heavily perfumed and harsh that I broke out in hives all over my face. I'd love to find a great, gentle, vintage-y bar soap, but I admit after that fiasco, I'm a bit gun shy.

Currently I'm using Johnson's Head to Toe Baby wash on the days that I'm not doing OCM. It calms my craving for a "lathering cleanser" without drying out my skin. (doesn't take off masacara for nothing though :( )

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
OCM=?

Sorry to ask the obvious, but what is OCM? Is it the cold cream/ witch hazel/ moisturizer system, or something completely different? Have read the abbreviation i the Lounge a thousand times.
Jenautica said:
A few years ago, a friend gave me a sample of a Japanese beauty soap made with volcanic ash. It was so heavily perfumed and harsh that I broke out in hives all over my face. I'd love to find a great, gentle, vintage-y bar soap, but I admit after that fiasco, I'm a bit gun shy.

Currently I'm using Johnson's Head to Toe Baby wash on the days that I'm not doing OCM. It calms my craving for a "lathering cleanser" without drying out my skin. (doesn't take off masacara for nothing though :( )

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
I use Kirk's castile soap. I oil cleanse too, then "float" a layer of soapy lather (castile soap) over my face just to get rid of oil where I want to feel super clean (like around the nose.) I'll leave it kind of oily around areas that need help, like the eyes.

I admit, I feel compelled to try the old fashioned beauty bars too, but I can't find anything I want, and like someone else said, to get Lux soap nowadays, you have to buy a full case! I want to like it before I buy the case!

olive bleu

One Too Many
jayem said:
LUX! LUX! LUX!

I use nothing but! The old school Lux in the blue packaging is the good stuff. The only downer is here, in the States, you can only find it online... and in bulk. Needless to say, I won't run out of soap for the next 20 years!
I have combination skin, with a very bad t-zone. I tried Pro-Activ, AcneFree, and numerous other systems, and they didn't work. I switched to Lux, and my skin has been so much smoother and clearer. Make sure to use a gentle toner like rose water or witch hazel afterwards, though. I actually use both... and florida water on my body (I tend to break out on my chest around my time of the month).

That's too bad..You can buy it in any drugstore or grocery store here.I believe i remember hearing that Camay is hard to get there, too.But again,you can get that anywherehere. Oh well, it makes up for all the shoes i can't find lol

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I generally do not use soap on my face (nothing against it, just in the habit of liquid cleansers), but I have previously used Pears soap. It is a glycerin soap, a very old recipe, and seems to work very nicely. It has a very natural scent, not perfumey. Vermont Country Store sells it for around $10 for 3 bars, but I've found it for $1/bar at Dollar Tree! I think I need to stop and stock up on my way home...

We buy Ivory, because it is not only a vintage product, but also nice and inexpensive! A couple of years ago they even came out with a reintroduction of their vintage packaging. When we first got married, we used to buy Lux all the time at a local grocery store (Minyard), but I'm not sure if they still carry it, as I haven't been there in a couple of years. I also like Yardley soaps (another Dollar Tree find), and I believe those are an older product as well.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Aw, thank you! I picked it up a few years ago at an estate sale for around $5. It is a very lightweight cotton and the embroidered design is "open" so it acts as kind of a ventilation system, so it is the best for Texas summers!

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
jayem said:
LUX! LUX! LUX!

I use nothing but! The old school Lux in the blue packaging is the good stuff. The only downer is here, in the States, you can only find it online... and in bulk. Needless to say, I won't run out of soap for the next 20 years!
I have combination skin, with a very bad t-zone. I tried Pro-Activ, AcneFree, and numerous other systems, and they didn't work. I switched to Lux, and my skin has been so much smoother and clearer. Make sure to use a gentle toner like rose water or witch hazel afterwards, though. I actually use both... and florida water on my body (I tend to break out on my chest around my time of the month).

THey have LUX at food city here in Tucson for $0.99 for two bars.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I don't use commercial soaps, in my opinion they are far too drying for the face (and body), with too many synthetic ingredients , preservatives,color,fragance, etc...
I have found that natural/organic soaps made of all natural ingredients are milder and better for the skin. At the moment I am using Dr Bronners and I am very happy with the results! :)

Ada Veen

Practically Family
lady day, I'm intrigued by the Palmers soap, as I love the cocoa butter.

fortworthgal, we always had Pears when I was a child and I find it very drying, but I love the smell.

They are famous for their lovely advertising here, which a lot of people have in their homes. I'm not sure if it's the same in the US? Here are some examples:

pears_soap_atlowtide.jpg
pears1.jpg

pears-soap2.jpg
Pears-Soap-Print-C10074394.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner