Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch Pockets

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Does anyone else have problems finding pants (other than jeans) with watch pockets? I had to buy another pair of pants for work, and had to go to 3 different stores to find what I needed. What I ended up getting was marketed as "golf pants," and the watch pocket as a "tee pocket." My last pair (the ones I was replacing) I had to add a watch pocket inside the front pocket myself.

As someone who prefers a pocket watch, I find this very frustrating.

-Jake

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Riposte3 said:
Does anyone else have problems finding pants (other than jeans) with watch pockets?
Try Oxxford, all of their trousers come with a watch pocket in the waistband, though they now call it a "security" pocket.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
Try Oxxford, all of their trousers come with a watch pocket in the waistband, though they now call it a "security" pocket.

Is it right at the bottom seam of the waistband? I used to have a pair like that, and 2 pairs of shorts that had the same thing. It looks like a good idea, but I found that my slight "overhang" where the pants naturally rest pushes my belt down over the pocket, making it difficult to get at and unusable for my watch.

Although I couldn't find any in that style on my search, either. :(

-Jake

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Worse than No Watch Pocket!

What's worse than pants with no watch pocket are those pants that seem to have a watch pocket, but don't have any at all. They just give the appearance of having a watch pocket! Fashion? :rage:

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
WideBrimm said:
What's worse than pants with no watch pocket are those pants that seem to have a watch pocket, but don't have any at all. They just give the appearance of having a watch pocket! Fashion? :rage:

I hate false pockets, period. If it's decoration, don't make it look functional; if it looks functional, make it functional. Decoration for decoration's sake has it's place, but pockets are not decorations.

-Jake

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
How hard is it to open up the waistband of a trou and add the watch pocket lining? Perhaps having a flap made from bottom remnant?

What are you gents feelings on hooking the watch chain to a beltloop and storing the watch in the right front pocket?

I'm doing it right now. Feels pretty good actually. :D

Another use for the WP: a small pillbox. Mine's Navajo silver with a small turquoise in the lid.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
How hard is it to open up the waistband of a trou and add the watch pocket lining? Perhaps having a flap made from bottom remnant?

What are you gents feelings on hooking the watch chain to a beltloop and storing the watch in the right front pocket?

I'm doing it right now. Feels pretty good actually. :D

Another use for the WP: a small pillbox. Mine's Navajo silver with a small turquoise in the lid.

Opening it up and adding the lining wouldn't be that hard, the problem is doing the visible edges. You would need enough material to fold the edges over and stitch them to prevent fraying. If you have to add material, you have to match the color exactly or it becomes obvious (very difficult). I could probably do it, but I would need a couple of practice runs to make it look decent, and I don't want to damage a good pair of pants. Also, the waistband is not really the best place to put a watch pocket, because the belt can get in the way.

I'll put a watch in my right front pocket if I have too, but that's where I keep my keys. I don't want to scratch the watch, plus my keychain has a pocket CPR mask attached. The keys + mask + watch makes a large visible bulge in the pocket, and becomes uncomfortable.

-Jake

undertaker

Practically Family
I often carry a pocket watch, so I have my wife to put watch pockets in for me. She's got it down pat now and can do one in about 10 minutes. I also just purchased a pair of Palm Beach pants with a watch pocket and saw several others at J.C. Penny's that have them.

Regards,
J.S.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Watch Chain

I've been wearing pocket watches on and off most of my life, usually hooked to a belt loop and stashed in a front pocket. Keys don't bother me at all if (1) it's a cheap watch such as the cheap Timex pocket watches I wore as a kid, or (2) it's a pocket watch with cover to protect the clock face. I just like pocket watches. Always have. They don't necessarily have to be fancy or antique.
Recently, I've been using chains with the newfangled belt hooks. The stores don't seem to be selling watch chains with the hooks for belt loops these days. [huh]

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I have 3 pairs of pants with watch pockets and they all are from thrift shops. One is from a 1948 suit. The second one is part of a tuxedo, and the third is from a Goodwill. The rest of my pants I just hook it to the belt loop and put it in my front pocket. No harm doing it

You can get chains and hooks at a locksmith if there is one in town. They sometimes are cheap but work well. You can also hook your keys to one of your belt loops to save pocket space

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Photos? of different watch pocket styles...

I'm designing a pair of 30's high waisted pants and for the watch pocket, I'm deliberating over having a buttoned flap to add a dash of style.

Has anyone PHOTOS of flapped watch pockets or unusual watch pockets to post here please to help me make an informed decision?

Thanks in advance!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL