Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch Questions

Mycroft

One Too Many
I am planning on getting a Hamilton or copy of the Servicemen's Watch. Does Hamilton make it in Automatic or not? Also, if they don't should I get the automatic because I need the watch for travel and camping trips? Also, which are the acual Hamilton Servicemen's watch, please send a link from the Hamilton Website?

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Re: Service Watch

Do you want a bright green, or more olive drab?

I just looked on The Smithsonian Magazine website and they have what appears to be a manual wind Hamilton with a black dial. Th issue watches all pretty much had black dials and a silver metal(usually steel) case.
Occasionally, you see white dials with gold numbers, but black dials with white numbers are more common.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Wow! That's a great watch at a good price!
Benrus made U.S. issue watches from WWII to Vietnam!
Just one caveat: Mechanical= Manual Wind. You will need to wind this watch every day.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Well, your question got me looking.
As far as appearance, I like the quartz better.
Are you going for a vintage look, or just want something for a "beater"?
For real vintage, try a site called Wartimers. They have the real deal in issue watches, but they're a little expensive, but good value for what you're getting.

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
*cough* A watch with hacking for $149?! There has to be something funky with it. I don't see it off-hand, though. A quick point: Automatic watches are mechanical. Besides, a mechanical watch will last centuries more than a quartz.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
"Mechanical" vs "Automatic"

Wackyorlon:
Point well taken! "Automatic" watches are "Mechanical"- its just that the mechanical ones must be wound daily. If you want a "set it and forget" model, your choices are narrowed down to automatic vs. quartz.
Interestingly enough, the British military specs for wristwatches specified the "mechanical" manual wind movements for issue watches through the 1960's. The thinking was in line with your comment: the watches will last practically forever, even under battlefield conditions, and, at the time, there really weren't any affordable and reliable automatic movements available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner