Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch straps: leather or metal?

lthr

New in Town
Same here. Maybe the leather that some of you here have seen rotting away was simply rotten to start with. lol

P.S.: Good ones don't have to cost much. I get mine for $5-15 depending on the type of leather. Calf with a natural grain is the cheapest I use and my favorite, together with lizard.

Since most mentioned that they rot due to DAILY wear, do you (and Papperskatt) wear them daily? Meaning all day?

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Since most mentioned that they rot due to DAILY wear, do you (and Papperskatt) wear them daily? Meaning all day?

I was partly joking; couldn't resist the wordplay on rotting and rotten. You're right, of course - I rotate them, so one watch with its strap attached gets no more than one day's wear per week. I have occasionally worn one watch daily, like for the duration of two weeks, and didn't notice a change in the leather, but it's obviously not the same as wearing it day in, day out for a year or whatever lengthy period of time.

lthr

New in Town
I was partly joking; couldn't resist the wordplay on rotting and rotten. You're right, of course - I rotate them, so one watch with its strap attached gets no more than one day's wear per week. I have occasionally worn one watch daily, like for the duration of two weeks, and didn't notice a change in the leather, but it's obviously not the same as wearing it day in, day out for a year or whatever lengthy period of time.

Suppose it absorbs more moisture if you wear it all day, especially if you don't take it off when you sleep. But c'mon, who doesn't take off their watch at all for a whole year? It would permanently fuse to your wrist!

That said, two weeks sounds reasonable to see no change in leather, I think.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Suppose it absorbs more moisture if you wear it all day, especially if you don't take it off when you sleep. But c'mon, who doesn't take off their watch at all for a whole year? It would permanently fuse to your wrist!

That said, two weeks sounds reasonable to see no change in leather, I think.

Hehe. I suppose most folks take their watch off before sleep, but I knew a fellow once who claimed that he didn't.

I'm pretty sure that leather quality is still a factor here, although rotation even more so - just like shoes won't dry properly if you wear them daily.

lthr

New in Town
Hehe. I suppose most folks take their watch off before sleep, but I knew a fellow once who claimed that he didn't.

I'm pretty sure that leather quality is still a factor here, although rotation even more so - just like shoes won't dry properly if you wear them daily.

Yea, I believe you should wear them every other day or every third day. But two weeks is still a while is what I meant.

Also, let's not forget showers if we're talking sleeping with your watch. Though of course there are waterproof watches, but hey... That's too much and annoying in my opinion, at least for me it would be.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Hehe. I suppose most folks take their watch off before sleep, but I knew a fellow once who claimed that he didn't. . . .
Count me in on that. I switch from my daytime watch (a Titoni, vintage Bulova, or vintage Rolex Date) to my Rolex no-date Sub, 1977 vintage, when I come home from work. It stays on my wrist until I get up in the morning. Yes, it's waterproof, but I still take it off before showering. I don't want to crack the crystal on the shower head by mistake.

I like the way a leather strap looks, and I keep the Bulova Aerojet on a black leather strap. But for years I wore a Timex on a strap while working outdoors. Had to replace the strap every 6-8 months because of rot and smell.

A properly sized and constructed metal band shouldn't pull at your wrist or forearm hairs. The old Speidel bracelets and the early Rolex expanding riveted bracelets might, but the Oyster bracelet that came with my Sub doesn't pull, and neither does the aftermarket Jubilee (small links) on my Date.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo