Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch Your Carriage, Madame! A Guide to Good Posture

Miss RM

Familiar Face
Mine stinks! I'm six feet tall, so I spent most of my teenage years slouching to try to fit in :) I really *should* work on it soon, though. It's been a long time since high school!

Miss RM

Familiar Face
Ha! Well, I'm glad to hear it's still possible for me to recover, if you've managed it! I'm obviously not bothering with the intentional slouch these days, but I'm still leery of wearing heels and towering over everyone! That's another thing I want to break free of. Vintage dresses generally look pretty silly on me without heels of some sort.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
"Towering over" used to be a negative in my mind. Now, the more towering overness, the better! :D I used to think people would "look down" on me for having to look up!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A coworker said that she could recognize me out of the corner of her eye because of my posture.

When everyone around you slouches, though, it's easy to pick up the habit.

CherryKrissy

Familiar Face
I'm a sloucher. Although since I've started to dress in vintage, and wear the support garments needed, I find I don't do it so much, even when I'm not wearing them. Maybe there is hope for me yet!

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
What a fantastic topic. I, for one, am horrible with posture. So much so that my back will actually hurt at week's end because of my tendency to slouch at my desk.

As we speak I'm in horrible form here at work! I really need to get a girdle :)

This is something I definitely need to work on! I always notice fantastic posture...it adds an touch of grace and elegance I feel.

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
my posture sucks!!!!!! thats why i usually wear corsets. it would be nice to look taller at my petite 4'11.... but the only way i can do that is painful skyscraper heels....lol

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I read somewhere or heard it last week...

that one's posture improves with a girdle on. I've been bearing this out for myself as I had one on all day Sat at the Vintage Fashion Expo and a different style one Sunday at church all morning and at the Expo (yeah, I went back again) after. I had one on most of the day today too. I have been mostly wearing the Rago Shapette high waist line comfort crotch long leg girdle (no zipper). I also have the Rago Shapette open crotch girdle but the waist rolls on me, so the other style is better for me- though its harder to get into!

I'm not slouching as much as LizzieMaine says here. I'm walking and sitting more gracefully and more ladylike too. All good things for me to be doing... One can't splay one's legs carelessly in these suckers like you can in comfy jeans!

LizzieMaine said:
It's tough to slouch with a good girdle on.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
There was a period of several months after a car wreck a few years ago when the only comfortable position for me was ramrod straight. (Not that I recommend this means of improving posture.)

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
When i first started playing the volin my teacher would smack us in the back with her ruler to sit up straight. Aweful, but I still sit up straight to this day.

Miss RM

Familiar Face
*sigh* This thread came to the top of the list as I'm sitting here positively slumped across my computer desk. I really DO need a good girdle!

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
TheDutchess said:
When i first started playing the volin my teacher would smack us in the back with her ruler to sit up straight. Aweful, but I still sit up straight to this day.

While I never got thwacked, I was in choir for most of my life, and we were made to sit up stick straight on the very edge of our chairs. I suppose it was for the best. However, every time I get on this stinkin' laptop, I find myself all curled up and contorted on the couch lol . My husband makes fun of my posture when I'm standing up. He says I look like I'm sticking my bosom out, but I swear, I'm not trying to! I just, um, carry myself well [huh]

I'm a sloucher...[hanging head in shame]

My mom used to run her finger lightly up our spines to "tickle" us into sitting up straight.

My fiance is shorter than me by about 4 inches. When we first started dating, I asked him if it bothered him that I'm taller than he. He gave the perfect response: "Why should I mind dating a super-model?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran