Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watering new hat

LHR

New in Town
I am in the position of needing to age my new Lancaster service cap. I think it could potentially look great but I am worried about shrinking. So, let me get this straight: water (cold, distilled, etc.) is sprayed lightly upon the wool and then the hat shape is formed upon air drying? No weird shrinkage is bound to occur? I have to admit to being a tad nervous as I have found what appears to be the last of the new Lancasters in the wild in my size. It is not as though I can buy another. Thanks!

Arch Stanton

New in Town
I just came back from Phoenix today! Had a great time. Came up from the bottom of the Grand Canyon on Saturday night. If you can manage to be there during a full moon then I highly recommend it!

Sorry for the tangent. Anyway, do not wait for the hat to dry after spraying to shape it. The idea is to shape it while wet. Once the hat dries it will retain the shape you put it in when wet. I would advize you to do this before you go to bed. Most likely it will be dry by the time you start your next day. Just set it in a room on a towel. I do it on the edge of a shelf or couch arm. That way the front of the brim can stay and dry in the down-turned fashion I like. You don't want a fan or direct sunlight on it. Don't force dry it.

And if the hat is dripping wet it never hurts to lightly brush or dab it with a face towel in a counter-clockwise direction around the brim and crown. This will soak up excess water allowing it to dry more quickly and also brush down the felt fibers in the direction they're supposed to go.

In short:

1) Wet

2) Shape

3) Let dry

Last edited:

LHR

New in Town
Thanks, Arch Station. We should have gotten a coffee!

I have done this. I will see how it shapes up tomorrow A.M. Turns out that there are no felt fibers in this wool cap, but I bet that the principle was the same and just went for it. I have another less-interesting O.D. crusher so I tried wetting with this color. (I also at the same time bought a tan-colored Lancaster.) So, if I screw this one up, I'll at least have another new one to try to beat up from scratch later.

Arch Stanton

New in Town
Oh, dear. I didn't realize that it's wool. I reckon it's too late now, but I always was of the impression that it's not really good to get a wool cap soaked through in any case at all. I learned this quick with my cheap-o "official" Indian Jones fedora many years ago. That piece of poo shrunk almost before my eyes. I reckon that's an exageration, but very noticable.

Can you maybe post pics of these some time when you get the chance? I'm not really even clear on what look you're going for.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I learned this quick with my cheap-o "official" Indian Jones fedora many years ago. That piece of poo shrunk almost before my eyes. I reckon that's an exageration, but very noticable.
Same here. The thing actually shrunk from my size (62) to something around 56 or so. Wool felt doesn't like heat and moisture very much.

I've dunked my Akubras under the shower to shape it (cool water) with no visible tapering ensuing from that treatment.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Okay I read the threads regarding wetting or watering new hat,
My question is how do you properly water a hat?
I'm a bit scared to wet a nearly $200 hat, soak it in bucket,
wet it in shower and let dry? Again its a scary thought what
if it leaves a water stain? [huh] I have a Federation
Akubra, fairly new, fits nice but still stiff, should I leave it alone?
I also have a lancaster crusher cap still try to get it to look the
50 missions look, I don't mind soaking it,
but not the leather band, its still not right,
but I'm in no hurry to damage it :)
Lets hear how you guys watered your new hat,
any problems? Thanks!

Well, if you don't water them, they can't grow.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
When I was in junior high, a friend of mine had figured out how to make a pretty good looking top hat out of a wool felt cowboy hat ... you know, a kid's cowboy hat.
You soaked it in water and formed it over a three-pound coffee can.
Sound in principle.
I went home to try mine out and figure if cold water worked good, hot water should work better ...
Yeah.
You see where this is headed.
I ended up with a Gi Joe-sized hat.
Great lesson.
The best way to reshape a good, fur-felt western hat is with a spritzer and plenty of COLD water.
I have also had good luck washing worn Stetsons and Resistols by putting them under a COLD shower, but a spritzer should be plenty for any dress-felt weight fur felt fedora.
I have done everything from black to silver belly and never had spots that didn't brush out.

BTW

Mea Culpa, but the "cowboy" had that I ruined was a Hopalong Cassidy model ... not that it wouldn't have been ruined with the cold water reshaping anyway.
I suppose that is why good ones you find at antique stores cost so much.
Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy