Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waterproofing seams on a Barbour.

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Hello all,

Just a quick question regarding proofing the shoulder seams on my Barbour International. I have had the jacket for about 8 months so it doesnt need re-waxing however there is a bit of leakage at the shoulders in heavy rain. Any suggestions of how to remedy this?

Many thanks

Flashy

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
See if you can source a small tin of Filson Oil Finish Wax and just apply the wax to the seams only, which is generally where leakage occurs.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Hello all,

Just a quick question regarding proofing the shoulder seams on my Barbour International. I have had the jacket for about 8 months so it doesnt need re-waxing however there is a bit of leakage at the shoulders in heavy rain. Any suggestions of how to remedy this?

Many thanks

Flashy

Check out the following video. Melt the wax before you apply it, apply it only to the seams, and don't forget to let the jacket get warm enough to allow the wax to even out.

[video=youtube;MtpNzTmcX-w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MtpNzTmcX-w[/video]

Mark

Practically Family
Put the tin of wax in a bowl of hot water and apply with a lint free cloth. Use a hair dryer to smooth out the wax and ensure it penatrates the jacket.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I had a new Barbour International a couple of years back and about a week into wearing it got caught in a very heavy downpour. While the outer areas repelled the rain it did seep through quite a bit both on the shoulder and under the arms.

I've since had and still have a couple of Belstaffs and the seam waterproofing on those is holding out just fine, even after four or five years of wear and getting practically drowned in one of them for an hour in a storm last winter.

I was surprised that the Barbour was so ineffective at keeping water out, I have an old Barbour Beaufort and that doesn't leak in the seams so I just took it as a 'feature' of the jacket and its vintage design.

Rewaxing may help a little but it seemed to me that the seams were just not that water tight so water was going to seep though. Don't know if any other owners have experienced anything different?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy