Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

We could use a chat room on this forum, what do ya say????

Blackjack

One Too Many
Actually, you have. It's called The Fedora Lounge

There have been several incidents where people have fallen out and left here.

My point exactly, a chatroom isn't going to bring on any arguments. They can happen just as easy on a thread, I think everyone is making way to big of a thing about this.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
It takes a lot of effort to run a forum (spoken by one who has). What a lot of people don't see is how much effort it takes to keep the forum running behind the scenes. The most orderly forums, such as the Fedora Lounge, may look peaceful and civilised, but that's only because of the CONSTANT work of the moderators and administrators who are down in the bowels of the ship, shovelling the coal, checking the steam-pressure and making sure that the S.S. Bulletin Board isn't going to have a blown boiler from any bad feeling hanging around.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Wouldn't be my choice. I'm glad bbs took over from chat roome in terms of popularity on the web. Much easier to facilitate an indepth discussion. Also chat rapidly becomes disjointed and unmanageable with more than two people..

Harrows_Bristle_Board_Bullseye.JPG

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I've been trying to get those with Macs to do video conferencing via iChat or Facetime for awhile without success.

A chat room might, as Rue said, cannibalize the threads?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
It takes a lot of effort to run a forum (spoken by one who has). What a lot of people don't see is how much effort it takes to keep the forum running behind the scenes. The most orderly forums, such as the Fedora Lounge, may look peaceful and civilised, but that's only because of the CONSTANT work of the moderators and administrators who are down in the bowels of the ship, shovelling the coal, checking the steam-pressure and making sure that the S.S. Bulletin Board isn't going to have a blown boiler from any bad feeling hanging around.

Bless you. :)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Bless you. :)

You're very welcome, Scotrace. I know how tricky it can be to run a forum (or any online venture). Most members only see the finished product. They don't see the hours and day sand weeks it takes to set the thing up, sort out the boards, moderate threads, organise colour-schemes and whatnot. All the piddly minutae that goes into running a forum.

That said, and despite what others have voiced, I still think a chatroom would be a good idea. It would rely on self/mutual moderation, but I think it could work and would be a success.

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
And I am not against it, merely I believe that it would be less hassle for everyone involved if we had a thread rather than chatroom, but as others have said, If they make a chatroom, I'm willing to try it! BJ, this is why I suggested a poll... you could have actual votes for or against, and perhaps that would be a civilized note to the mods.... Once again, your idea=your thread... I just want to help resolve this one way or another. :D

Blackjack

One Too Many
7am, and Rue's drinking...tsk tsk tsk....

A thread is not by any means the same as a chat room. A chat is personal (if you'd like it to be) and social. It's a conversation between friends and potential friends, you find things in common much quicker on a chat and on the odd chance someone (like myself, or Rue when she's drinking) would get out of hand you can boot them out of the chat and it's done. It's like having everyone able to talk like were together in a room, it's NICE guys, it works, and it would be a great addition here. I joined this forum in 2004, and many times I would have liked to have a conversation with someone who had knowledge about something I was interested in without posting it publicly. Im sure I would have spent much more time on here if that would have been a possibility.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Well there are people here who have MSN, Yahoo and other Instant Messengers to communicate privately with, though.

Not many people use these services though, at least not in my experience. I'm online regularly though. My current university course means I'm never far from a computer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner