Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

We deliver! - Liquor brought straight to your home.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Alcohol home-delivery services have started to pop up in the UK, the premise; if you have run out of wine at a party, ring them up and it'll be with you in 15 minutes.
Leaving aside the potential controversy (rights and wrongs) of such a service;

Is anyone familiar with these? Have you used them? Were they any good?
Is there a large delivery charge?

Many thanks, EB

duggap

Banned
With our drinking laws (age limits to drink) in the US, I wonder how that would go over. I guess you would have to get an ID from the person paying for the delivery. Maybe it would cut down on drunk driving.[huh]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Liquor deliver has been available in NYC and Chicago for as long as I can recall, in fact my family had maintained house accounts at local stores in both jurisdictions since the 30's. And yes, minors would be carded upon delivery...... and they rarely fell for the My mother's in the shower routine.:eek:

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
Liquor deliver has been available in NYC and Chicago for as long as I can recall, in fact my family had maintained house accounts at local stores in both jurisdictions since the 30's. And yes, minors would be carded upon delivery...... and they rarely fell for the My mother's in the shower routine.:eek:

I remember Linda Blair used (or tried to use) that ploy in "Sarah T. Portrait of A Teenage Alcoholic."

It would be nicely convenient for those times we fancy a little something and just don't want the hassle of going shopping. However, I doubt it would ever fly in OKC; you can't even buy alcohol in the grocery stores here.....

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Ethan Bentley said:
Is anyone familiar with these? Have you used them? Were they any good?
Is there a large delivery charge?
Sorry, forgot to answer your queries.:eusa_doh:

Yes...extensively.......yes, though some stores will have a better selection.....generally free but there's usually a minimum order for delivery (nowadays around $50).

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
Sorry, forgot to answer your queries.:eusa_doh:

Yes...extensively.......yes, though some stores will have a better selection.....generally free but there's usually a minimum order for delivery (nowadays around $50).

Ah yes a minimum spend, that makes sense. I figured that the selection available would be mostly high-turnover items, what you find in most bars; beers, wines, popular spirits.

I'm not sure what the operating hours are fro the services in the UK; quite a few off-licence shut before midnight and so it'd be a useful service if you've run out just after the witching hour.

Thanks for the replies.

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Yes, avail in Los Angeles for decades

Yes, there are many wine shops & liquor stores in Los Angeles that deliver. One convenience store / delivery service, Pink Dot, earned a great portion of its income by delivering junk food and bottles of Cristal & cognac to celebrities' homes and hotels and to rock stars working long hours in the studio.

Price depends on which type of store you're ordering from. For parties, the wine stores / liquor stores often have case discounts. The convenience store type delivery services--sort of like a 7-11 that delivers--from which one would order maybe a bottle or two, usually have a hefty markup. (Example: At our regular walk-in liquor store, Cazadores tequilla is usually around $20 or so. From the Store to Door delivery service, it's $39.99.)

All have delivery charges, and yes, all require I.D. for alcohol delivery. Some also require a credit card.

BlameOnMame

New in Town
Oh man, I remember Pink Dot. It that still around?
In high school, my friends and I heard a rumor that they didn't card. On multiple occasions, when we would be at somebody's house without parents, we would sit around talking about calling pink dot and argue over who would do it and then we would chicken out and just walk down to the corner and give a few bucks to a bum to buy us some beer.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Haven't utilized this method myself, though I like the idea. What worries me is the "drive thru liquor store". I've a few friends that have tried that route, and swore they never sampled their purchases on the way home. :eek:

RebeccaDoll

Familiar Face
I have rung up a fast-food delivery service to do the deed for me! I had a few guests for dinner, and well, and we had all had a few drinks (so no one could drive), and my dog ran into the spindly table we had the bottles on -crash, bang, boom. No more drinks.

So, we all pitched in a few dollars, rung up the company, and had them bring us some replacements.

Worked like a charm - but rather a lazy and pricey route to go under other circumstances.

OT: I've seen a liqour store up here in Canada that has a double drive thru - the first side, you drop your empties off, the second, you pick-up! If you go inside, they always have a 'sample' table, where you can try the drink before you buy!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Ethan,

Running out of booze shows a complete lack of proper planning and forethought.

Shame on you, your old scout master would not be proud.

:p

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Thanks to everyone for the great responses, in particular Dexter's Dame for the very comprehensive answer.

It's interesting to see that these are quite established elsewhere in the world, the few local ones here have attracted some media attention with the usual condemnations of the "won't somebody pleeeaase think of the children!" nature; it doesn't look like it needs to be an issue.

Smithy, I couldn't agree more; but perhaps the worst crime would be to run out of ICE, I feel a bit twitchy just thinking about it! :eek:

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
For BlameItOnMame

Yep, Pink Dot still exists, but only 2 locations now:

http://www.pinkdot.com/

There's also a similar thing in the Valley called Store2Door.

http://www.store2door.us/

And Ethan, you're quite welcome. :) Ironically, I've never bought alcohol from either of them--too much of a markup--but I use them a lot during cold and flu season, because they carry cold and flu supplies, hot soup, magazines, and most importantly, KITTY LITTER and LAUNDRY QUARTERS!!! [gleeful shouting intended.]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo