Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a fedora when it's windy

EstherWeis

Vendor
Has anyone lost their hat in the wind?

Most older royal ladies wear wigs, and they attach the hats to them. It's actually quite a common trick in women's millinery...

Haha, poor Fruno!
My eyes went a bit big to say the least. Those shoes, eeek!

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In Chapter Four of "The Pickwick Papers," Charles Dickens gives really funny directions on how to try to keep one's dignity whilst chasing a hat. Wonderful piece.

No - buy a hat that you can use every day and use it every day. I like my Akubras because they are well made, comfortable and replaceable.

Fed.

That, and their "classic" style, are Akubras strong points.

I've never been a fan of Akubra's finishes. But they are sturdy, and stylish, and relatively inexpensive.

And hell, man, it's just a hat! Get a couple of 'em -- one to wear in rough weather and the other to keep new looking. And when the everyday one gets looking a bit rough, consign it to truly rough duty wear (cleaning the gutters, etc.), turn the "good" into the everyday hat, and buy a third to have in reserve.

g.durand

One Too Many
Great advice, tony. I just ordered a third Camp Draft from Everything Australian for a total of USD 94.68 including shipping. Except I haven't consigned either of the other two to beater status yet.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
That, and their "classic" style, are Akubras strong points.

I've never been a fan of Akubra's finishes. But they are sturdy, and stylish, and relatively inexpensive.

And hell, man, it's just a hat! Get a couple of 'em -- one to wear in rough weather and the other to keep new looking. And when the everyday one gets looking a bit rough, consign it to truly rough duty wear (cleaning the gutters, etc.), turn the "good" into the everyday hat, and buy a third to have in reserve.

I'm living on welfare and I get most of my food from a soup kitchen. I don't know, I'm not really addicted to collecting hats. I'll continue to wear my clothing and hats until they are unwearable.

I well worn suit/hat is a sign of distinction!

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have had my hat blown off my head twice in my life. First was my akubra SnowyRiver. It sits high on your head. It was new so it hadn't shrunk to my head and a wide stuff brim. Got it after two steps. The second time was recently wearing the Coolabah. Sits high in the head with a stiff brim. With a federation sitting so low (or can be snugged down) I wouldn't think loosing it would be easy.
Johnny.

Knotten

Practically Family
I was in Washington during the summer, trudging with the family to one museum or another, when a gust of wind came around the corner and sent my summer straw flying. It landed on its brim and started rolling down the street. I reacted the way I did many years ago when I played high school football and saw a fumble. My wife was a little startled by the horns honking and the brakes screeching, but I got the hat. Hey, I paid real money for that thing.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I was thinking of you guys when my Penman went rolling across a parking lot yesterday as I left Dunkin Donuts

I had my daughter on one arm and 2 coffees and an orange juice in a four cup holder in the other when a big gust of wind came as we walked to the car

it rolled about ten feet away and into a bush

no harm done at all

Penman hats = Bulldog tough

Last edited:
It is unpleasant to walk in brisk wind on a beautiful day and be mindful of hat loss. Two suggestions... a nice cap (we have a wonderful supply thanks to some very talented Lounge members) or a derby. The latter has an aerodynamic profile that cleaves the wind (provided the fit is good).

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
Last edited:
On cold end of autumn or already winter, I need a toque, imperative!
Only a flatcap, like you can see every winter on older german guys, my ears will definetly not stand this.

German seasons to me:
spring = flatcaps
summer = hats
autumn = flatcaps
winter = toques

emigran

Practically Family
The visual comedic value of this thread is PRICELESS...!!!
I would have to agree witih virtually all of the above and have experienced quite a few of them that is to say some really close calls... Here's what I say about wind... Take you hat off and carry it for a while til you are safe...
Thanks gang for this hilarious view into the world of Hatting...!!!

Last edited:

EstherWeis

Vendor
I just had to run after my hat on the train platform.
It got blown of by a gust of from that passed by.
I ran like a crazy lady because it was heading towards the tracks.
It was a close call but got there just in time.

I take the train regularly, and that never happened before. Hey, lesson learned.
I'll just hold them if a train passes by again.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

ingineer

One Too Many
I don't have any trouble in the wind, i do what Alan does, i wear a cap when it is windy or a hat with chin straps.
A cap with fold down ear protection is my favorite i.e Stormy Kromer, Gottman nordic, even a Fudd hat all of which fit under a parka hood. the Stormy Kromer works in Shabogamo Canada, Even in OKC where the wind sweeps over the treeless landscape
Been thing about using some of those elastic runners shoe laces though.
http://csews.com/hats/how-to-keep-your-hat-on-your-head

the floppy hats that my mother wore were all booby pined and hat pinned.Women seem to wear lighter hats than us men and wear them high, while my westerns are all heavy, more worried about branches.
All better than what the cowboy cutters sometimes use; toupee glue
And guys i can't say enough about having a Buff, or snood or tube scarf in you arsenal

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy