Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Dress Kept in Family for 127 Years

Drappa

One Too Many
This is amazing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2022477/Bride-old-sorted-weds-127-year-old-dress-worn-great-great-grandmother.html#ixzz1U5n77U6p

article-2022477-0D4C6B7100000578-49_468x730.jpg

article-2022477-0D4C505000000578-747_468x647.jpg

article-2022477-0D4C504200000578-666_468x514.jpg

article-2022477-0D4C6AD000000578-53_468x599.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
It's a beautiful dress.

I find it interesting how all the other photos have grooms in black tie and this one's in white tie...so to speak. I feel sorry for the groom if he ever meets a fashion and style Nazi...

Edward

Bartender
I can't believe her Groom wore a white tie with a tux, is he a waiter and that's his working clothes?

Either that or he is referencing that period in the Twenties when the modern DJ ad arrived on the scene, but no-one was quite sure how to wear it, leading to a lot of experimentation and mix and match (wearing of a full white tie rig with the dj replacing the tailcoat was common) before what we now think of as 'correct' black tie became established. Perhaps not (pocket flaps!!! I mean, I can live with notch lapels, but pocket flaps!!), but hey ho. Personally, I'm more perturbed by the contemporary Americanism of black tie being worn as daytime (i.e. pre-6pm) clothing.... My knee jerk reaction would have been to say formal daywear would have been much more appropriate, but that said it seems that black tie has been established as the tradition in that family, so perhaps he simply was following suit with the existing photos. I can see how they might enjoy looking at the photos across time with the ladies in the same dress and the men all dressed similarly.

Anyhoo, this is all rather academic.... they seem to have enjoyed their wedding and that is the important thing. It certainly is unusual for a dress to have been used for that long. I know at a time it was considered the done thing to pass a dress down the generations, but not every dress will stand that. I know some of my friends very definitely dismissed wearing their mothers' dresses as an option as their mothers had been married in the Seventies, and the dresses were very much of their time. This design - the US equivalent of Victorian (how does one properly refer to that time period in US terms?) - has worn rather better to my eye. Who knows how they'll perceive the 1970s designs in the early twenty-second century, though!

Edward

Bartender
It's a beautiful dress.

I find it interesting how all the other photos have grooms in black tie and this one's in white tie...so to speak. I feel sorry for the groom if he ever meets a fashion and style Nazi...

Well, he has now been posted on the Fedora Lounge, so..... lol

adouglasmhor

Familiar Face
Either that or he is referencing that period in the Twenties when the modern DJ ad arrived on the scene, but no-one was quite sure how to wear it, leading to a lot of experimentation and mix and match (wearing of a full white tie rig with the dj replacing the tailcoat was common) before what we now think of as 'correct' black tie became established. Perhaps not (pocket flaps!!! I mean, I can live with notch lapels, but pocket flaps!!), but hey ho. Personally, I'm more perturbed by the contemporary Americanism of black tie being worn as daytime (i.e. pre-6pm) clothing.... My knee jerk reaction would have been to say formal daywear would have been much more appropriate, but that said it seems that black tie has been established as the tradition in that family, so perhaps he simply was following suit with the existing photos. I can see how they might enjoy looking at the photos across time with the ladies in the same dress and the men all dressed similarly.

Anyhoo, this is all rather academic.... they seem to have enjoyed their wedding and that is the important thing. It certainly is unusual for a dress to have been used for that long. I know at a time it was considered the done thing to pass a dress down the generations, but not every dress will stand that. I know some of my friends very definitely dismissed wearing their mothers' dresses as an option as their mothers had been married in the Seventies, and the dresses were very much of their time. This design - the US equivalent of Victorian (how does one properly refer to that time period in US terms?) - has worn rather better to my eye. Who knows how they'll perceive the 1970s designs in the early twenty-second century, though!

The other day on this site I saw an old catalog picture with a tux with pocket flaps from the 20s I think. Everything comes around again.

Found it http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?55905-J.L.-Taylor-men-s-fashion-catalog-1927 more than one with pocket flaps.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner