Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding fedora ideas?

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Yes, I think it'll be the Knox, complete with very small burgundy red feather which I robbed from my dark brown Dobbs.

Many thanks for all the suggestions (and indeed I may still look into acquiring a vintage Homburg at some point).

Shall report back in just over 3 weeks...

N. :)

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nick, I think your Knox is a far better choice that the FED. They (FEDs) just look too casual to me, but [huh] . I would go for the homburg first if you can find one. Congratulations and good luck!

bolthead

Kudos....

If you can't find a black homburg, then I'd say the knox or even the mallory.
I don't think the fed is appropriate, I also don't think wearing a hat inside any church is appropriate, but that's my opinion. [huh]

ManofKent

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
You have a lot of options, if you want a fedora. Most custom hatters make great work, differentiated by details. When it comes to Homburgs, I see nothing that compares to Stephen Tempkin's (Leon Drexler). My 2 cents!

Check the thread, Richard linked to - and remember, it's like asking which car- or cigarette-brand is the best. Different strokes for different folks ;)

simsholom

New in Town
so i found mike @ northwests website and he states he can make a beaver fedora starting at 175$. now the other 2 companies i linked to above are starting at about 475$. can it be the same thing so much cheaper?

suitedcboy

One Too Many
A Toyota Camry and a Lexus ES350 share huge amounts of pieces under the sheetmetal. The details and some materials used to finish the Lexus are different. Some of the rest of the price difference is brand value.
This same situation exists in consumer products over and over.
There are different grades of beaver hat bodies too.

simsholom

New in Town
A Toyota Camry and a Lexus ES350 share huge amounts of pieces under the sheetmetal. The details and some materials used to finish the Lexus are different. Some of the rest of the price difference is brand value.
This same situation exists in consumer products over and over.
There are different grades of beaver hat bodies too.

i understand. so is there any reason to go with penman or drexler over northwest considering the steep price difference. is the felt of better quality?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Some just have to pay for some server space, while others have a physical shop to run - and pay. Some do hatting fulltime, while others do hatting on the side. Some use the most basic tools, while others have a lot of machinery. Some spend more time on details than others, and the materials are different. Some have been on the market for many years, while others are quite new and try to establish their names. There are many reasons for varied prices.

ART FAWCETT had created a "Tuxedo Hat" exactly as was available during the first half of the twentieth century. Check it out, Simmy!
Here is one by Willoughby...

What makes unique, or "Tuxedoed," is the silk layer laminated to the underside of the brim.

Last edited:

simsholom

New in Town
markings of a formal hat

wide ribbon vs narrow ribbon?
edge binding?
color?

im planning to have a hat made for my wedding. i'll wear it with a kapota (the hasidic version of the tux)
attached are 3 pictures of hats my rebbe wore at different times and im considering copying one of them but i'm still looking at other pictures to see if another hat pops out to me. any suggestions?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 210

simsholom

New in Town
ART FAWCETT had created a "Tuxedo Hat" exactly as was available during the first half of the twentieth century. Check it out, Simmy!
Here is one by Willoughby...

What makes unique, or "Tuxedoed," is the silk layer laminated to the underside of the brim.

nice one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart