Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weight loss options

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
The definitely tone your middle! And after a while, I know my heart rate gets up, too. I'd say it does...

And they're fun as all get out!

Dani_Daydream

New in Town
maggiethespy said:
I've used sparkpeople before, and I agree it's great. As helpful as it was, it just didn't work for me.

It doesn't work for everyone. I've had a few friends who've tried it and didn't find it great. I just use it as a good reminder rather that a way of life (as they seem to want to make it!)

This biggest loser is a good idea. bring out the competitive nature of people!

Hopefully I should be able to shed the corset for good...

Although saying that since i've been going to the gym my waist has dropped from a 32" down to 27" so my corset is a bit pointless now! Although still extremely pretty! It's from What Katie Did and almost makes me want to put weight back on to be able to justify to my boyfriend how much i paid for it!

hehe! lol

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Dani_Daydream said:
It doesn't work for everyone. I've had a few friends who've tried it and didn't find it great. I just use it as a good reminder rather that a way of life (as they seem to want to make it!)

This biggest loser is a good idea. bring out the competitive nature of people!

Hopefully I should be able to shed the corset for good...

Although saying that since i've been going to the gym my waist has dropped from a 32" down to 27" so my corset is a bit pointless now! Although still extremely pretty! It's from What Katie Did and almost makes me want to put weight back on to be able to justify to my boyfriend how much i paid for it!

hehe! lol

Corsets are pretty easy to take in. I've done it and it was amazingly simpler than I thought it would be. I mean, it's a shot, considering you may not wear it again otherwise.

Dani_Daydream

New in Town
Of Corse(t)!

Lareesie Ladavi said:
Corsets are pretty easy to take in.

Wow!

It hadn't even crossed my mind! I should definitely do that. I feel slightly sick when i think about how much i spent on it. It's an underbust corset. Like this one...

rawsilk.morticia.tn_3.jpg

The one I had was a size 28", but I think I need to take it down to about 23". Do I just take 2.5" off each side panel? Or a little bit off all of them? I literally have no idea where to start!

Thanks !

Kim_B

Practically Family
I'm a people-pleaser by nature - I have to make sure every one is happy and content, no matter what. My mom and I work at the same company, on the same floor...in the same department. She's the trainer for the unit I audit. We are very close - both inside and outside work.

My company has a full fitness center which you can pay membership dues and have unlimited access to - equipment, classes, trainers, etc. Sounds like a no-brainer, right?! Well, here's my delima...petty as it may seem...my mom always talks about how she needs to "do something" for her healthy. She can't afford a membership to the fitness center (it's not terrible, but she's the sole insurance provider for her and my dad and she's got as much going to retirement as possible) and she won't commit to bringing shoes or her lunch so we can walk a few blocks at lunch. She says she wants to watch what she eats, and exercise, but she just doesn't follow through! I feel guilty when I want to go to the fitness center over lunch because I don't want her to be alone at lunch - there aren't too many people she likes to have lunch with - most want to eat at their desks, but she likes to go out (another peeve of mine - that gets so expensive!) So, what do I do? Sacrifice my gym time because I don't want to hurt her feelings, or go to the gym three days a week and get healthy and feel better and not worry about if her feelings are hurt? I could work out at home, but I don't get off work until 5:15, then I have an hour and a half commute home...by the time dinner is made and the nightly "chores" are taken care of, it's near 8:00 at night! Morning isn't an option either - I'm already getting up at 5:45 to leave the house on time, and that's a struggle on it's own. Ack! What's a chubby momma-lovin' girl to do?!

:eusa_doh:

Sorry for the long-winded post, but it's been weighing heavily on me lately...

Kishtu

Practically Family
Coo, I'd be game for that.

Am very aware that being happily married (ish....just without the certificate) for last 5 years I am not quite the slender and elegant figure I was before I met my late OH.
And now that I'm, um.... on my own again, sooner or later I'm gonna have to take my clothes off in, ah, mixed company again. :eek:

Damn I hate being a widow!!!

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Kim_B said:
Ack! What's a chubby momma-lovin' girl to do?!

Babydoll, as much as you love your momma (I'm in a similar situation) you can't let her come in between you and health. I think she could fesably afford the dues if she cut out going out to lunch-- you'd be surprised how much you can save bringing a salad or sandwhich to lunch instead of buying something 5 days a week. I understand if you don't want to explain that to her-- it can be difficult to confront a parent, but sometimes that's what you have to do. Some times, and I speak from experience here, tough love is all that works. I had to have a talk with my mom about how I was worried she wasn't being active enough, and she didn't have to spend a lot of money to get a lot of physical activity in. Pester her! Pack her a lunch one day and call her every 5 minutes before she leaves for work and convince her to bring sneakers-- go for a walk around the building on your lunch break. When she sees how easy it is, maybe she'll be more apt to do it. I feel for you darling, and I'm a people pleaser too-- you have to be tenacious and a little bit selfish in this situation. Maybe explain to her you'll get to spend more time together if you stay healthier-- you'll both be alive longer.

I hope things work out for you!

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Kishtu said:
Coo, I'd be game for that.

Am very aware that being happily married (ish....just without the certificate) for last 5 years I am not quite the slender and elegant figure I was before I met my late OH.
And now that I'm, um.... on my own again, sooner or later I'm gonna have to take my clothes off in, ah, mixed company again. :eek:

Damn I hate being a widow!!!

I added you to the list, dear-- have you found the thread for the challenge? I posted the link a couple of posts back on this one.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kim_B said:
I'm a people-pleaser by nature - I have to make sure every one is happy and content, no matter what. My mom and I work at the same company, on the same floor...in the same department. She's the trainer for the unit I audit. We are very close - both inside and outside work.

My company has a full fitness center which you can pay membership dues and have unlimited access to - equipment, classes, trainers, etc. Sounds like a no-brainer, right?! Well, here's my delima...petty as it may seem...my mom always talks about how she needs to "do something" for her healthy. She can't afford a membership to the fitness center (it's not terrible, but she's the sole insurance provider for her and my dad and she's got as much going to retirement as possible) and she won't commit to bringing shoes or her lunch so we can walk a few blocks at lunch. She says she wants to watch what she eats, and exercise, but she just doesn't follow through! I feel guilty when I want to go to the fitness center over lunch because I don't want her to be alone at lunch - there aren't too many people she likes to have lunch with - most want to eat at their desks, but she likes to go out (another peeve of mine - that gets so expensive!) So, what do I do? Sacrifice my gym time because I don't want to hurt her feelings, or go to the gym three days a week and get healthy and feel better and not worry about if her feelings are hurt? I could work out at home, but I don't get off work until 5:15, then I have an hour and a half commute home...by the time dinner is made and the nightly "chores" are taken care of, it's near 8:00 at night! Morning isn't an option either - I'm already getting up at 5:45 to leave the house on time, and that's a struggle on it's own. Ack! What's a chubby momma-lovin' girl to do?!

:eusa_doh:

Sorry for the long-winded post, but it's been weighing heavily on me lately...
Why not mom twice a week and gym 3 times?

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Well, I've finally done it and joined the gym! I'm off to work out right now. Wish me luck in my weight loss/get healthy adventure!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Congrats to all you losers!! :eusa_clap
I've lost over 60 pounds twice, this last time over 80. You can click on my blog link at the bottom of this post, and you'll find my story in the sidebar there...

I didn't exercise a lick. But I need to now to tone up. I'm in my sister's wedding this summer and the dresses are strapless... gotta get these flabby arms in shape!!

For those of you interested in Sparkpeople, just wanted to let you know there is a team there just for the Fedora Loungers!

I had gained over the holidays, so I just lost almost 10 pounds this month. We started biggest loser at work, we all put in $10. Biggest loser will get $110! We weigh in tomorrow, so I'm crossing my fingers!!
3100931169_413d8ed0d0_o.jpg

See the model for this pinup here!

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Love that scale picture!!

Thank you for posting your blog links.....very inspirational. Kudos for getting yout health in order.:eusa_clap I look forward to making the same choices.

Inky

One Too Many
Congrats on your hard work Ohairas! I totally understand about flabby - I don't exercise either but I need to and am looking into different Pilates studios here to find the right one this month. Ugh, I hate "glowing" (aka: sweating)!

:eek:fftopic: Thanks for posting the link to that Elvgren/Janet Rae set - it's fantastic!

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Dani_Daydream said:
Wow!

It hadn't even crossed my mind! I should definitely do that. I feel slightly sick when i think about how much i spent on it. It's an underbust corset. Like this one...

rawsilk.morticia.tn_3.jpg

The one I had was a size 28", but I think I need to take it down to about 23". Do I just take 2.5" off each side panel? Or a little bit off all of them? I literally have no idea where to start!

Thanks !

Sorry, I missed this. How I take mine is just by folding the fabric under the boning and hemming down each side of the boning, because I feared cutting the fabric. It worked! It was a lot easier then cutting too. Depending on the shape of the corset I start taking it in either under the arms or in the back (avoiding the front, so to not ruin the shape). The one you have, I'd start a long the back. You may only need to hem under 2 or 4 of the bones back there.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
This is GREAT advice, thanks so much!!
Nikki
Lareesie Ladavi said:
Sorry, I missed this. How I take mine is just by folding the fabric under the boning and hemming down each side of the boning, because I feared cutting the fabric. It worked! It was a lot easier then cutting too. Depending on the shape of the corset I start taking it in either under the arms or in the back (avoiding the front, so to not ruin the shape). The one you have, I'd start a long the back. You may only need to hem under 2 or 4 of the bones back there.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Gosh! You are all just so amazing!

I need to lose weight, but I have a lot of stress happening in my life at the moment (boys, work and building a house) and so eat to comfort myself, then hate myself. Its a sad vicious cycle. :mad: :eusa_doh:

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
Keep at your exercise and nutrition plan and the weight will come off, the hardest part is keeping it off :)

You are so right about this! I went from a 20 to a 12, but then I had to go on some medications that caused weight gain. It's been creeping up this past year, no matter how much I exercise and no matter what I eat. It's so depressing to be nearly back to a 16.

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
Gastric band

Hello,

I did a search and couldn't find a thread about this, but if there is a thread for it please do merge or lock.

I was wondering if any of you have had a gastric band fitted, and if so what were your experiences?

I am putting on more and more weight but I don't know why. I've always been podgy but now it's getting out of control. I am severely unhappy, and it's affecting my day to day life. I'm tearing up just writing this because I have to think about how much I loathe myself! Pathetic!

Please gimme some wise words of wisdom, i'd really appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo