Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weird Food Combinations

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Shangas said:
Not quite a food combination, but certainly weird.

When I was in school, we had a member of staff who was a former soldier. He was in the Australian SAS during Vietnam and when I was in school, he headed the cadet unit.

Aaaanyway, long story short, while in Vietnam with his mates, they had a pet dog which was their little mascot. One night around camp, they discovered that their mascot was missing. Their Vietnamese hosts surprised their Australian comrades with a barbeque. It wasn't until they'd finished eating that the soldiers asked:

"So what was the meat?"

The answer given was that the Vietnamese had found a dog wandering around the camp and had killed it for food. A few more questions revealed that the soldiers had just had their pet dog for dinner.

That's beyond weird Shangas.That's sad. :(

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
Mayonnaise and bread.

Bread with olive oil, crushed garlic, and salt. (my dad used to make that, guess it's not weird though).

Tapatio Hot Sauce with pizza.

A Subways Spicy Italian-dip it in wonton soup.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shangas said:
Not quite a food combination, but certainly weird.

When I was in school, we had a member of staff who was a former soldier. He was in the Australian SAS during Vietnam and when I was in school, he headed the cadet unit.

Aaaanyway, long story short, while in Vietnam with his mates, they had a pet dog which was their little mascot. One night around camp, they discovered that their mascot was missing. Their Vietnamese hosts surprised their Australian comrades with a barbeque. It wasn't until they'd finished eating that the soldiers asked:

"So what was the meat?"

The answer given was that the Vietnamese had found a dog wandering around the camp and had killed it for food. A few more questions revealed that the soldiers had just had their pet dog for dinner.

.....and you got what kind of thrill from posting this??? :rolleyes:

thumbnail.jpg

Brooksie

One Too Many
Havana Joe said:
Mayonnaise and bread.

Bread with olive oil, crushed garlic, and salt. (my dad used to make that, guess it's not weird though).
Tapatio Hot Sauce with pizza.

A Subways Spicy Italian-dip it in wonton soup.

I like to do this too, only I add fresh course ground pepper to the mix which may make it a little more odd but it is soooo good - the bread I like to eat it with is a jalapeno cheese artisan bread - I chop up the garlic then add some kosher course salt and mash the salt into the garlic until it forms almost a course paste then I put it into a small bowl grind the pepper on top then pour on the olive oil and stir it all up... then I spoon the garlic and oil onto the toasted bread plus it is great on eggs too.

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
Brooksie said:
I like to do this too, only I add fresh course ground pepper to the mix which may make it a little more odd but it is soooo good - the bread I like to eat it with is a jalapeno cheese artisan bread - I chop up the garlic then add some kosher course salt and mash the salt into the garlic until it forms almost a course paste then I put it into a small bowl grind the pepper on top then pour on the olive oil and stir it all up... then I spoon the garlic and oil onto the toasted bread plus it is great on eggs too.

I'll have to try it that way. Thanks.

This has to be the German in me. Potato pancakes, smothered in fried apples and onions.

Another one -- and let me emphasize, this was pure serendipity as I never drink those energy drinks and rarely eat candy -- is Red Bull and Hot Tamales. Insanely complementary and good.

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
Orion said:
This has to be the German in me. Potato pancakes, smothered in fried apples and onions.

Maybe it's my German too, cause there's a lot of it, but my goodness, that sounds amazing. Why didn't I ever think of that? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I'm a big fan of hamburgers with onion and apple chunks in them, too.

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
When I was a little girl my grandmother used to make me sliced apple and sugar sandwiches. They are gorgeous. Even more gorgeous than mashed banana sandwiches.

My mother used to put a pickled egg at the bottom of a packet of cheese and onion crisps so that by the time she ate the crisps the egg was covered in the cheese and onion flavouring.

I make the kids little cheesecakes out of digestive biscuits topped with cream cheese and blackcurrent jam.

The top favourite is a Welsh thing called mari biscuits, basically two rich tea biscuits sandwiched together with butter. It makes my husband gag but when my mother comes over for a visit, the two of us eat almost nothing else.

G.EdwardHudson

New in Town
Irish Goody

Has anyone heard of Goody? In The first half of the 20'th century in Ireland a "comfort food" called Goody was made by filling a bowl with semi stale bread and sprinkling it with sugar and then pouring on (warm) milk. Very simple and made of things which poor people might have.

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
G.EdwardHudson said:
Has anyone heard of Goody? In The first half of the 20'th century in Ireland a "comfort food" called Goody was made by filling a bowl with semi stale bread and sprinkling it with sugar and then pouring on (warm) milk. Very simple and made of things which poor people might have.

YES! I was introduced to almost ten years ago when I went to visit a friend in Ireland. His mother made it for us and it was fabulous. I think she boiled the bread in the milk and it definately tasted like it had some kind of spice in it but I can't place what.
I hadn't thought about that for years! I think I may make it for the kids tonight.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Sometimes, I like to sprinkle a little salt onto watermelon.

But if you think that's scary, I work with guys who put pico de gallo and/or hot sauce on pretty much everything: Limes, lemons, mangoes, bananas, chicharones . . .

Lee

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I ordered a; canadian bacon, salami and anchovie pizza one time and the gal that took the order say; "excuse me for being disrespectful, but that is just gross" lol Good thing I have a big sense of humor.;)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Lincsong said:
I ordered a; canadian bacon, salami and anchovie pizza one time and the gal that took the order say; "excuse me for being disrespectful, but that is just gross" lol Good thing I have a big sense of humor.;)

You just reminded me of an old Shoe comic strip where he calls a pizza parlor and the employee answers with, "American Weight Gain Clinic." Shoe orders his pizza with "anchovies, onions and garlic" and then asks if the pizza will be delivered in thirty minutes. The employee answers, "Believe me, pal, we'll be getting that sucker out of here pronto!"

lolly_loisides said:
Fresh pineapple dipped into a mixture of dried chillies & salt is delicious.

Eww! :p

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy