Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Welcome To The No Spender Bender

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been living on fifty bucks a week (after expenses) for the past three months. It's hard. Actually, it's impossible - I have had to sell off some things just to have enough to pay for little things like gas...or coffee...or the occasional drink with friends. Plus, I try to put away $50 a month in savings, so it is actually more like living off $150 a month. Not easy, but certainly makes me realize I don't really need to buy any more STUFF (unless I want to sell something to get it). Dating a guy who isn't much taller than me helps - makes me more able to part with my 4 inch heels! lol

Smuterella

One Too Many
OK, I'm taking part.

I have a list of core wardrobe needs that I'm allowed to spend on, things I can buy because I require them to complete an outfit, BUT I can only buy them if the perfect item comes up at a reasonable price. No settling.

If I do not find any of these items or decide to wait then I get two free items of frivolity. But these MUST be special things, again, no settling for something I'm only half in love with.

I have decided to take more care with my vintage buying and to be more fussy about condition etc.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
OK, I'm in for March. I just about choked when I followed Lizzie's suggestion and looked at the last 60 days total on eBay! :eek: :eek: :eek: Almost what I need to buy a new computer, and I'm not talking a $599 special, either! :eusa_doh:

My wife wants to be more active in taking care of the bill paying; says it's because I'll be starting my masters degree soon and she wants to take some of the home workload off of me. I need to rein in my spending before then! lol

Cheers,
Tom

Smuterella

One Too Many
Just checked eBay and in the last 60 days I have bought £100 more than I've sold. Not as bad as I'd expected.

Inky

One Too Many
About "WISH" lists:

glad to see all the new additions to NSB!!

I wanted to talk about using a "wish" list. I started doing that when I began to revamp my wardrobe a few years ago after a large weight loss. I listed all the things I needed, practical and not so practical. It was a pretty ridiculous list, but overtime I weeded it down and used it to acquire and develop a decent wardrobe for my lifestyle.

Now I use my "wish" list for my internet window shopping and the things I need to replace or update in my closet. I also put non-necessity purchases on the "wish" list and wait 30 days - most of the time, guess what - I don't want it anymore and off the list it goes.

You can make your own list by using a notebook and pen; a word document, a spreadsheet or my new personal favorite is Kaboodle.com.

I prefer using Kaboodle because it has some handy features where you can use an "add to Kaboodle" button right in your web browser for a simple one-click addition to your wish list that I find very handy. You can also prioritize your list, and make multiple lists (work clothes, play clothes, shoes, household goods, etc). And should you want to, you can share your list in different ways.

I also really like the "style board" function in Kaboodle and have used that tool to create outfits and looks for special events.

I'm not affiliated with Kaboodle in any way, I just find it a handy tool to help my shopping habits improve.

Good luck, fellow NSBer's!

D

Deleted member 12480

Inky,
could you expand about your wish list?

i mean like how you weeded it down - did you decide you didn't need them or actually BUY them and what sort of things did you put on it, etc.

i'm having trouble with mine. -_-

:) xxxx

Inky

One Too Many
deleteduser said:
Inky,

i mean like how you weeded it down - did you decide you didn't need them or actually BUY them and what sort of things did you put on it, etc.

Hi Annie,

because i was revamping an entire wardrobe (i lost 140 pounds) and changing styles from modern to 40's (which is ongoing), i did my list in sections - also I first started my list with paper and pen, eventually went to a word document and then found Kaboodle.
  • undergarments
  • skirts
  • pants
  • blouses
  • sweaters
  • dresses
  • outerwear
  • accessories

Then within each category i listed the items I needed, for example in the pants category it would be something like:

• black wide leg trousers
  • high waist dungarees (wide leg)
  • red trousers
  • freddies of pinewood overalls
Then as I purchased an item I would indicate (B) for purchased or in Kaboodle you can mark that you "got it." Things I decided I no longer wanted I just remove from the list.

I hope this answers your question, but let me know if you need more help. I find my wish list very helpful, though it was overwhelming at first.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
deleteduser said:
Inky,

Inky has a good list to start off with. Here's another good list that can be helpful. It is for a modern wardrobe, but you can easily use it for a vintage one.
http://www.alreadypretty.com/2009/10/basics.html

Chas

One Too Many
It's your patriotic duty to overspend. It helps the economy.

I am saying this sardonically, of course. One thing that definitely separated myself from my parents (they of the WW2/depression generation) was my learning curve with money and savings, necessary vs. conspicuous consumption. I have worked it down to buying only when necessary, darning socks and fixing things rather than buying new ones.

If there is anything that can be flagged as a money pit, it's technology. PC's, gadgets, cel phones, ipods, iphones, etc etc are specifically designed with preprogrammed obsolescence in mind. The tech companies are the crack dealers of the 21st Century- they get you hooked on doodads and when they break down or are superceded by the newest model, they know that the hoipolloi will run out to get the newest model. It's quite the scam - I just had to lay out $400 for a parts to repair my PC that I bought only 2 years ago.

I don't consider myself a "techie". Personally, I don't even like my cel phone.

D

Deleted member 12480

Inky and Kamikat

they were both real helpful, i'm gonna start mine now!

xxxxx

D

Deleted member 12480

and, perhaps this would be better in the powder room, i know we have the sticky but do you think a 'vintage staples' list could be created?

Inky

One Too Many
alright are we ready for March NSB? I am - my goal this month is NO SPENDING unless I sell something. That should make for an interesting month - no "free passes for me or any other rules - just if i sell it, i can spend it.

Good luck everyone and be sure to let us know how you're doing or any ideas you come up with and especially what you learn as you do NSB!!

D

Deleted member 12480

mmm that should be interesting inky! Make sure you keep us updated on that, i'm just going by the general outline you gave us so i can tweak it for next month. I'm looking forward to seeing how i do this month and how the rest of you do too!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Took the wife to a B&B yesterday for our anniversary; had a great time. On the way home we stopped at an antiques mall where she bought a bunch of costume jewelry (she loves that stuff! :D ) and I bought three hat boxes with inserts. At a late lunch afterward I told her about my NSB plan for March. She's going to join me in it.

I mostly told her to help me stay on the straight and narrow, but if she's going to go along with it who am I to say no? :p

I'm not planning on having any options to purchase anything that's not needed. A full month cold turkey from eBay!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Cheers,
Tom

D

Deleted member 12480

kamikat, i read your review - how on earth do you get through so many books! and with regards to the snow, i bet many of us would've caved too, i hope you keep letting everyone know how you're getting on so we can all encourage eachother!

Xx

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I had planned to cold-turkey eBay this month, but a writing project's come up where I need to pick up some source materials, mostly obscure books published in the '30s. I've found a couple of items I need cheap on the 'bay, and the person I'm collaborating with will get some of the others, so I'm restricting myself to those items. Otherwise, no clothes, patterns or household goods allowed during March.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
deleteduser said:
kamikat, i read your review - how on earth do you get through so many books! and with regards to the snow, i bet many of us would've caved too, i hope you keep letting everyone know how you're getting on so we can all encourage eachother!

Xx
If they're novels I really like, I can read 3-4 in a single week. Since the library books that I've gotten aren't from my favorite authors or genres, I read those much slower, closer to one a week.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I only started to focus my spending over the last few days of February. I'm hoping March will go a little better. I need to save the last 1/3 of the money for my new Sphynx kitty!

I also have a list of items I need. Some of it is outlined in my blog, the rest is really in my head and evolves as I acquire items (eg now I need some tops for my Freddies and one pair of casual shoes to wear with them). I'm going to try to stick to the list, but really think about what I can live without.

I've been trying to practice a "cooling off" period before I click the buy button too! I think I'm starting to realize that some vintage is like a bus and if you don't catch the first, another will be along in 20 minutes...or a few weeks when it's more financially convenient...or a better size or condition IF I'm willing to cool my jets and wait it out. I am just now starting to break out of the newbie panic that takes over when you think you'll never find another 50's dress in your size, EVER! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff