Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Welcome To The No Spender Bender

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Amy Jeanne said:
Wow -- I didn't even think to buy DD homebrew. Really. I was buying it every morning before work. I like the Coconut coffee (Mmmmmmm!) At $1.72 a pop, I was spending about $35 a month on COFFEE :eek:

Think how many dresses you drank, drunk...eh, consumed, that's it, consumed!

btw Folgers no D Skidoo! Duh! :eusa_doh:

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Lenore said:
I spend nothing. Nada. Zero. Zilch. And when I do, its on my daughter, or if it's on me, I feel terribly guilty.

Lenore,

I can relate. My very second revelation on NSB was that I have a hard time investing in MYSELF. No problem spending (sometimes overspending, sometimes wasting) money on the people and pets I love dearly but couldn't justify a few pair of new skivies for myself even if the elastic was quitting big time. :rolleyes: It sounds like when you spend, you do so wisely. I just hope that as you build your career wardrobe, you don't feel guilty and really do start to internalize it as an INVESTMENT in YOU and something you deserve.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Aureliano said:
Congrats on your return to school, Tom. I'm about to start the process to get my masters, myself... soooo much money!

Thanks, Aureliano!

Soooo much money is right! I'm just grateful that I've got that GI Bill now, otherwise I wouldn't be going. My wife and I already have enough out in student loans that we're paying off, hers went for her Masters and mine for my Microsoft certifications.

Congrats and good luck on getting started on your own Masters!

And to get back on topic, another day of not bidding on eBay so far (though there is a hat out there I desperately want to have! :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: )

Cheers,
Tom

D

Deleted member 12480

Tango Yankee said:
And to get back on topic, another day of not bidding on eBay so far (though there is a hat out there I desperately want to have! :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: )

Cheers,
Tom

AAH! YES!
i'm dying here, i've already seen a sailor hat (haha!) for 1.50 that i want for my model in photography, and i've seen the most lushest most beautiful dress that you have never seen anything like for only 12 pounds. :'(

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
deleteduser said:
AAH! YES!
i'm dying here, i've already seen a sailor hat (haha!) for 1.50 that i want for my model in photography, and i've seen the most lushest most beautiful dress that you have never seen anything like for only 12 pounds. :'(

Annie,

I feel your pain! lol
There are two delicious party dresses that I have my eye on. I did allow ONE ridiculous party dress purchase on my wish list but it would be at the expense of several everyday things I really need and could get a lot of use out of. So, I look at the party frocks daily and then remind myself that I need a pair of shoes to wear with my Freddie's. I do feel really good knowing I can look at the dresses and walk away.

Everybody,

Guess what? My employer finally hooked us up with direct deposit! This is awesome for my NSB project. I used to withold a bit more than I needed in spending money when I deposited my check in person. Now it all goes into my account. I don't have a debit card, so I have to make a trip to the bank to get spending cash. Rather than make extra trips, I find myself being really careful with what is already in my wallet!

D

Deleted member 12480

skidoo

thats awesome!

i find i'm just hiding 20 quids worth in a book until my dad gets round to sorting me out an account. ¬_¬

my sister also has one and i'm currently hiding it in a different book because she wants to go volunteering in a tropical country in her gap year - haha!

xxx

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I love the Internet!

Our washing machine (which I bought new in 2002 when I returned stateside from the UK) recently began making loud, expensive-sounding noises when the agitator was in motion. (I know, those in the UK generally use front-loading washers--an agitator sticks up in the middle of a top-loading washer's tub and moves back and forth, agitating the clothing.)

A few searches using Google and I not only know what's wrong, I've found the parts and ordered them. The shipping was two cents less than the parts, so the whole thing is costing me just under $10. And in case I'd not already figured out how to take apart the agitator to determine the actual problem and the fix, I'd also found a YouTube video that shows how to do exactly what I need to do!

Sure beats the minimum $75 just to walk in the door appliance repair house call!

Cheers,
Tom

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I used up one of my free passes yesterday. JoAnn's fabrics has thread on sale for 50% off, so I stocked up on basic colors.

Does anyone here barter? Barter is a great way to still indulge in the things you want while not spending money. I have an easy way to barter, since I am a hairdresser and can trade my services, but I've gotten lots of interesting things in return. I have one customer who has the same book tastes as I and brings me a bag of novels for getting her hair done. I have another customer who trades babysitting hours for her highlights. My dog groomer and I do an even trade, her hair for washing my dogs. I've had lots of work done on the house in trade, fixing toilets and sinks, yard work, ect. I love barter!

Warden

One Too Many
Well I was in London yesterday and managed all day not to buy an expensive 'to go' coffee and skipped lunch, so saved the pennies there.

but today in the works canteen was salmon with lemon pasta, darn it that is £4.50 I'll never see again. But it tasted good:)

Harry

Foofoogal

Banned
JoAnn's fabrics has thread on sale for 50% off
---------------------------
just an idea but I have gone to auctions before and found sewing boxes full of good thread and notions for much less than 1 or 2 spools now.
I love digging around in old sewing boxes. Really tells a story. Now some of the thread may be dry rotted but I have found a lot of the thread can be much better thread then what can be found today. New thread seems to knot up for me more. may just be me. Just a thought.

D

Deleted member 12480

Hey everyone - hows everyone doing now?

i survived the weekend - which i know is the big problem for me.
i only got essentials and a lovely black pencil skirt from next to wear to school.

Stupid Tutor told me off for the length of the other. ¬_¬

xx

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
deleteduser said:
Hey everyone - hows everyone doing now?

i survived the weekend - which i know is the big problem for me.
i only got essentials and a lovely black pencil skirt from next to wear to school.

Stupid Tutor told me off for the length of the other. ¬_¬

xx

Well Miss AnnieSweetcake,

Sounds like you are sticking to your plan. Good going! :eusa_clap

I fell madly and passionately in love with a pair of RED Re-Mix wedges. Not a practical color for me and at nearly $180, I had to really think things out. I gave myself 48 hours to go from "I must have these immediately or I will die" to "They aren't on sale, let me look around and see what else is out there first".

I ended up NOT buying the Re-Mix. I purchased very useful (basic/seasonless) black leather peep-toe sling-backs for dresses and trousers, and two pair of espadrilles that I can wear all summer with my Freddies and modern capri pants. All 3 came in under the price of the single pair of Re-Mix.

I've also been really good about deleting my "saved searches" from eBay.

School skirt lengths...that takes me back...the Nuns used to line us up in the hallway and measure how many inches below the knees our hems were! :eek:

D

Deleted member 12480

23SkidooWithYou said:
Well Miss AnnieSweetcake,

Sounds like you are sticking to your plan. Good going! :eusa_clap

I fell madly and passionately in love with a pair of RED Re-Mix wedges. Not a practical color for me and at nearly $180, I had to really think things out. I gave myself 48 hours to go from "I must have these immediately or I will die" to "They aren't on sale, let me look around and see what else is out there first".

I ended up NOT buying the Re-Mix. I purchased very useful (basic/seasonless) black leather peep-toe sling-backs for dresses and trousers, and two pair of espadrilles that I can wear all summer with my Freddies and modern capri pants. All 3 came in under the price of the single pair of Re-Mix.

I've also been really good about deleting my "saved searches" from eBay.

School skirt lengths...that takes me back...the Nuns used to line us up in the hallway and measure how many inches below the knees our hems were! :eek:

wow - good going! I found out what freddies are and i now desperately need some! hahaha!

and yeah not quite measuring nuns but it sometimes feels that way.
Its more sort of measuring/ogling pervy teacher >.<
xxx

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I bought a pair of Levis this weekend. I don't really count it against my free passes because a)before we replaced our washer/dryer unit, clothes would come out of the dryer with burn marks and holes. I was down to one pair of non-holed jeans. B) I found my favorite style on sale for $29.99.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
kamikat said:
I bought a pair of Levis this weekend. I don't really count it against my free passes because a)before we replaced our washer/dryer unit, clothes would come out of the dryer with burn marks and holes. I was down to one pair of non-holed jeans. B) I found my favorite style on sale for $29.99.

If it's something you need and it was on sale, then I think you are a-okay! I mean, you can't go around in holey burnt jeans, can you? I'm actually getting ready to do laundry in a bit. I had an idea to put a mason jar in the cellar for loose change that I take out of pockets. It's never much and it would take a long time to add up, but it's something. :)

A girl I work with makes a game out of saving her mad money. She saves all $1 bills that end with a certain letter. Not sure that would work for me but it does for her. [huh]

D

Deleted member 12480

hmm, sounds very difficult to do with a 1 pound coin....

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Well, I almost blew it a couple of times but was saved by bidders willing to go higher than I went. Dunno if I should use a :eusa_doh: or a :eusa_clap after that sentence.

Ah, well... pressing on with pride!

Cheers,
Tom

The Shirt

Practically Family
I'm doing well. Only spent on necessary items to throw a baby shower. Nothing fo me in the cart. Honestly it felt ggod to make someone else's day rather tharn spend it on myself and feel guilty.
I did however receive my Freddies overalls I ordered last month on sale. I never want to take them off. And now I really really want more pairs. But I think I can hold off. Staying off the ebay and the etsy for now.

Inky

One Too Many
So far so good here a week in to March. I ordered one blouse I had already budgeted for in March and purchased an also budgeted for birthday gifts for my niece and a friend's toddler.

No Ebay or Etsy and it feels just fine :)

I am happy to hear folks are making NSB work for them! Keep it going.

Lenore

Practically Family
Yeah... spent nearly a grand yesterday, but totally worth it.

My daughter moved to a big girl bed yesterday. Mattress, box spring, frame, mattress cover, sheets, quilt set, and guard rail. Yay for already having the headboard!

26975_345432241684_500606684_4040206_6027044_n.jpg

She was so excited she couldn't go to sleep. Giggling and playing in the covers for nearly an hour before falling asleep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis