Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Welcome To The No Spender Bender

D

Deleted member 12480

that is so cute!
i remember having a guard on my bed - i had a bunk!

really needing my mothers day present to arrive - argh!

xxx

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Tango Yankee said:
Well, I almost blew it a couple of times but was saved by bidders willing to go higher than I went. Dunno if I should use a :eusa_doh: or a :eusa_clap after that sentence.

Ah, well... pressing on with pride!

Cheers,
Tom

Whoops! Spoke too soon! Had another snipe that won, but it was for much less than I bid on the other two. I guess that will be a free pass or whatever it's called. In my own defense (rationalization kicking in..... now!) it was for a Portis hat in a model I'd not heard of before.

Ah, well... at least I'm cutting back! (End rationalization. lol )

Cheers,
Tom

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
:eusa_doh:
Tango Yankee said:
Whoops! Spoke too soon! Had another snipe that won, but it was for much less than I bid on the other two. I guess that will be a free pass or whatever it's called. In my own defense (rationalization kicking in..... now!) it was for a Portis hat in a model I'd not heard of before.

Ah, well... at least I'm cutting back! (End rationalization. lol )

Cheers,
Tom

Tom,

I'm a bit guilty of "rationalizing" too. I splurged on 3 McCall's mags from the 1950's this morning. It was early, my java hadn't kicked in and I wasn't thinking clearly yet. I just saw pretty covers and clicked. :eusa_doh: My rationalization is that they are "educational" materials. ;)

On the upside, I resisted a pair of 50's capris pants last night that were purchased 10 seconds later by some well-timed soul. (Thank you whoever you are! $75 unspent!) I still haven't purchased either of the fancy dresses I've been stalking.

Instead of hunting today, I focused on organizing. I got some pics of past purchases logged in my online photo thingy. This includes a log of my 5 or 6 vintage patterns by number, date, size, and measurements. I also updated my blog with my sewing apsirations...er, more like lofty dreams. lol

Inky

One Too Many
as much as i desperately wanted a skirt and sweater guard that i saw recently i promised i would not buy unless i sold some items - and today I sold two pairs of shoes and a patio style skirt and blouse - whoohooo!! it took me not but a nano-second to order my skirt and sweater guard - perfect for our summer trip to michigan.

I rather like this must sell to buy and if i can scrounge/part with more things I may try it again for April.

how are you all doing?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
This pay period hasn't gone as planned. I gave in and bought a 1935 Lane Bryant catalog and some dress fabric. I had a coupon and the site was having a sale, so at least it wasn't full price.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I fell *heavily* off the wagon this week -- my landlord showed up at my back door with a sad old radio that he'd found abandoned at a demolition site, and he knew I couldn't resist giving it a home. Thing was, it was missing the speaker, and vintage radio speakers are not just something you can pluck off the shelf. But I looked on ebay and, gad, the *exact speaker* was there for $60. Which I spent before I knew what I was doing.

It's all the landlord's fault. Bum.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
I fell *heavily* off the wagon this week -- my landlord showed up at my back door with a sad old radio that he'd found abandoned at a demolition site, and he knew I couldn't resist giving it a home. Thing was, it was missing the speaker, and vintage radio speakers are not just something you can pluck off the shelf. But I looked on ebay and, gad, the *exact speaker* was there for $60. Which I spent before I knew what I was doing.

It's all the landlord's fault. Bum.

Lizzie,

Have you ever considered restoring vintage radios for resale?

Kamikat,

Have you ever considered sewing up vintage patterns for others?

I know there are positives and negatives when dealing with the public. It just seems a shame that you two aren't making some dough from your obvious talents!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
23SkidooWithYou said:
Kamikat,

Have you ever considered sewing up vintage patterns for others?
I used to sew for a living. I don't see myself going back to that any time soon!

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
You know those situations in which one thing (or purchase) leads to another, despite your best intentions of being good? After Sunday brunch at our regular cafe (where we split one meal, but do splurge on two cups o joe), the hubby said, "you wanna go anywhere to kill time since the laundry won't be dry yet?"
It happens that a fashion bargain pal of mine is always mentioning a shop called Forever 21, which I'd never visited, but had recently spotted, online, to be offering the most charming summertime straw-look (paper/polyester blend really) cloche, which is something I've wanted for several years now, for a measly $6.99. I mentioned this to the Mr. with a warning that the only Forever 21 around is in a horrible monstrosity of an outer suburbia mall, the likes of which we never, ever expose ourselves to. He was game though, and we ventured on out to the nether regions.
Of course, it was a Sunday, and it was not yet noon, meaning the little shops weren't open, meaning we had to kill time wandering through the anchor stores, which included the first Sears I remember visiting in I can't say how long. Ooh, but the sales there..... I came out with a darling pair of double-strapped mary jane heels for ten bucks, and a 5 dollar blouse.
Then I bought the 7 dollar hat.
Then I spied a Charlotte Russe, and simply had to pop in to see those retro-styled romper/playsuit things some of you have pointed out. Now there's one hanging in my closet waiting for winter to end.
But it'll look so cute with my new hat.

Foofoogal

Banned
Do I need to come in here and spank everyone?lol

NO spender bender is the rule. ;)

Calling Miss_Bella_Hell....you are needed in the OB to keep these people in line.....

Inky

One Too Many
it's not too late to get back on board the wagon ;)

honestly this is my first month that I have had any success (of course, it is only the 9th today) - to be honest, I think for me getting rid of the "free pass" concept really helped.

And ThesFlishThngs, the mall is an evil place - temptation lurks behind every door - I'm so glad we don't have one nearby. I have a problem with Sephora - my problem being I love it in there - so I avoid it like the plague.

Next time, bring a book to read while you wait for the laundry ;)

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I agree, the mall is evil and soul-sucking. On the other hand, I did save on shipping for the hat. ;)

But I'm back on the wagon, for reals. Haven't bought anything since Sunday, and am snacking on free Panera tomato basil bread, slathered with home made cherry jam that was a gift.

D

Deleted member 12480

Inky said:
the mall is an evil place - temptation lurks behind every door -

Ohh don't you know it - and the city centre is only a short walk from my house!
Its literally like a big 'mall' and two littles ones which are all also surrounded by shops and the biggest PRIMARK your have ever seen

echh Primark
xxxx

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Oh, yeah, I'm back on the wagon. Those Lane Bryan catalogs are such a weakness for me. I finally deleted the eBay saved search for them. It was the last to be deleted.

Inky

One Too Many
alrightie well done ladies and gents - let's stay strong one more week...then one more after that.....

I was thinking maybe next month I'd sell and save the money for our trip - i hear all the good stuff is in the midwest and east coast anyway ;)

D

Deleted member 12480

i'm saving for a massage with my sister so at least thats an incentive.
And a spree in Birmingham with my cousin but thats a way off yet
xxx

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I am weak...

Last year I turned off most of my saved searches on ebay. One I left going was for Stetson Stratoliner hats. I came home this evening and started going through my e-mail, and there was a Strat search with a Strat listed. I clicked on it, and lordy, it was a 7 1/4 Long Oval in what appears to be decent shape with a low BIN for a Strat... and it was still there! Yeah, I bit.:eusa_doh:

OK, that's strike two....

I guess I ought to follow some examples and get some of my not-worn, too small, and otherwise not something I'd keep hats cleaned up and up for sale.

Regards,
Tom

Inky

One Too Many
Tango Yankee said:
I guess I ought to follow some examples and get some of my not-worn, too small, and otherwise not something I'd keep hats cleaned up and up for sale.

Do it!! i bet you could post them in the classifieds at no charge and see if you can get nibbles from a fellow lounger - it's a great place to shop (believe me, I KNOW this all too well).

I sold one other item today and actually had that money come right back to my own account rather than spend it - time to start saving up for something big I think now that my current "needs" have been met.

I strongly suggest weeding out your own things that you no longer use/want/need and selling them on to the next person - that's the lovely thing about vintage - it can keep on selling itself!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS