Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Welcome To The No Spender Bender

Lenore

Practically Family
I'm feeling pretty torn. I'm determined to save money and not spend... but....

We just got an unexpected check in the mail for enough to pay off the credit card *time to cut that sucker up!*, put money in the savings account and still have a good chunk left over for some spending dough. Hubby told me everything but the cost of one new hockey jersey comes to me. Should I stock pile it, or should I *grudgingly :D * start working on my new wardrobe? lol

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
I know how you feel Lenore. You get some unexpected money, have the need to make a few purchases in the near future, but should you do that now, or later?

For me, I'll be making a few needed purchases soon, and then it's back on the wagon. Mine are time critical, but once they're done, it's back to saving for a while.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I'm not doing well at all - I've bought lots of stuff - all things on my "need" list but still...

Unfortunately I've been hit with a bad bout of the blues this month and that always makes me go on a spending spree. :rolleyes:

April, April is the month of being good.

Items on need list:

snoods - black/brown/navy
cardigans in blue/red/grey
white wedges
Black 40's / 40's style straight skirt - pref w/ arrowhead design or appliqued pockets (might try and make)
Navy 40's handbag
Black swing trousers - bought
Blue hat - bought
Brown shoes - bought
Navy shoes - bought
Brown hat - bought
Brown bag - bought

Smuterella

One Too Many
^ I don't think I actually need half this stuff. I just realised it when I was about to add "nantucket basket" to the list. lol

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Lenore said:
I'm feeling pretty torn. I'm determined to save money and not spend... but....

We just got an unexpected check in the mail for enough to pay off the credit card *time to cut that sucker up!*, put money in the savings account and still have a good chunk left over for some spending dough. Hubby told me everything but the cost of one new hockey jersey comes to me. Should I stock pile it, or should I *grudgingly :D * start working on my new wardrobe? lol

What's the interest rate on the credit card?
What's the interest rate on your savings account?

I'll bet the rate on the credit card is a lot higher, and therefore COSTING you money in the long run. I'd pay off the plastic and see what's left. Maybe you can squirrel some and still buy one or two basics for your work wardrobe.
btw Easy for me to give advice, tougher to follow it! ;)

I deleted a bunch of BIN McCall's I had on my "watching" list.

I have 2 Pendletons that I didn't wear all season. I also have a wool Orr Health blanket in really good condition. I could sell them, but it might be too soon in our "relationship" to consider breaking up just yet. ;) I know there's a set of Gone With The Wind Barbies in the attic...WTH was I thinking?...that are still in their shipping box and original boxes. Thems I could part with! LOL

Speaking of attics...one of our vintage amethyst attic window panes shattered to bits. We found it in the back yard where the dogs usually run. Thank heavens because I really didn't need to pay for doggie stitches! So, my Mom was in the attic to do a quick patch job til we can replace the glass. She started going through the garment bags. When I got home she told me to stop buying and get up in the attic...she found her tweed coat with the huge fur collar and cuffs and some other stuff! Hmmm...this could be interesting.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Attics and basements - the stuff of dreams. I found my fathers original 1950s turquoise blue alarm clock in a box in the basement last weekend. Yippee. And a pile of vintage dresses I had forgotten about. And a coat. Geez - I can totally get thru this month without spending.

D

Deleted member 12480

'attics and basements'

if only. Man my grandma is too young to have stuff from the 40s and my great grandma got rid of all hers a long time ago. Sucks.

I did spend some money but it was on my 'staple'/need list, and was only 9.50.

:D

hows everyone doing now then? :)

xxx

Smuterella

One Too Many
Still terribly - I'm going to revise my need list today and put any items I don't NEED on a wants list.

I'm also going to sell some more things on eBay.

I do get my bonus at the end of this month though so am going to buy myself something lovely. After that its only the NEED purchases.

D

Deleted member 12480

good idea,

I have a need list that i've looked over and changed lots and then a 'want' list.
I printed the need list and stuck it to the inside door of my wardrobe, so before i go out I look at that and the want list stays firmly on the computer. I also made a kaboodle account as inky suggested and on there I put things that are the 'exact' things i want. (for instance 'blue wedges from clarks' as opposed to 'blue wedges')

it might be a good idea to take your need list out with you or have it by you when internet shopping so before you buy stuff you can look at that a think 'no this is what I NEED.' I find that if I forget the 'want' things and go in search of the 'need' things i have forgotten all the things i was yearning for in topshop only 2 hours ago.

Also, with making a need list, it might be a good idea to go through your wardobe if you haven't already. then you can decide what you're lacking and put them on there.

I've also put things that aren't VITALLY important but will replace other things for instance 'good, well fitting gloves' you know, hardy marks and spencers gloves instead of some pretty but cheaply made ones from topshop or the like.

I've sort of allowed myself them even though they are not necessarily desperate.

As inky suggested earlier its easier to narrow it down into headings.

here is my 'need list'

Undergarments
• A good bra
• French Knickers
Skirts
• 1 Navy Pencil skirt
• 1 Plain Gored Skirt
Pants
• 1 Pair of High-Waist Jeans
Tops
• 1 White Blouse
• 1 Cream Blouse
Sweaters
• 1 Plain Sweater
Dresses
• 1 good condition Tea Dress/Day Dress/Swing Dress
• 1 Wiggle Dress
Outerwear
• 1 Suit
Accessories
• 1 Pair of Well Fitting Gloves (Black/Navy/brown)
Shoes
• 1 Pair of Black Courts
• 1 Pair of Black Saddle Shoes
• 1 Pair of Brown Saddle Shoes
• 1 Pair of Wedges in a Neutral Colour
Other
• 1 Bathing/Swimsuit

after i've accumulated what i've decided are the 'basics' i will be a bit more ambitious as opposed to the plain colours.

Hope i've helped feel free to as me any questions :)
xxxxx

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I bought a pattern for high waisted jeans/overalls. The big pay-out from this paycheck was membership in a CSA (community supported agriculture). For those who aren't familiar with CSA, it's when people get together and make an agreement with a local farmer to receive weekly boxes of organic, in-season produce for the summer. We've been talking about doing it for a couple years and finally made the leap. Friends who've done it say the money breaks down to about the same as weekly produce purchases, but just a single lump sum.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I already have No Spending Month EVERY month. :( Any time a little extra money drops in my lap, my ex hears about and starts whining. So now every extra dollar goes secretly into a little safe box. I don't know what's in there and neither doers she.

I really don't ever spend much anyway. I don't use Ebay except to sell a few things. And I never buy new, only at thrift stores and rummage sales.

D

Deleted member 12480

sounds good to me!

I think i'm going to occupy the next weekend planning for next moth so as to not get sidetracted - good idea?

xx

deleteduser said:
'attics and basements'

if only. Man my grandma is too young to have stuff from the 40s and my great grandma got rid of all hers a long time ago. Sucks.

Sounds like so-called "estate sales" around here. Nothing but ordinary Wally World junk, acquired in the last few years, that belonged to some widow who had downsized! Anything good had long since been sold already or passed down to the children or grandchildren before the person passed on :(

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think of participating. I am almost always broke but I can't resist special offers or bargain-sales. (Things could get more expensive if I wait). It's also worse with second hand clothing. .... I think this items will never come back again near me so i buy them. I scored some nice stuff but also enough I could easily do without.:eusa_doh:

Maybe the trick is to avoid even to look at the stores or ebay. Not that easy...lol

D

Deleted member 12480

Hey everyone

hope your NSB is going well,

i wanted to show you a site i found - inky recommended kaboodle. I do use this but i also like to have a list of staples - thinks to look for not exact things i know i want to buy

just like 'navy wedges'

so i found a word processing site where you can make your lists and save them on there and visit them and edit them whenever you need to. It means you can access them anyway - particularly if you have a smartphone or an iphone!

http://writer.zoho.com

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
This is a fantastic idea! I try so hard to be good, and I'm getting better, but then I have months like this one, where I just lose control of myself. Twice now I've gone shopping on the weekend and spent twice what I intended or could afford. I'm not in danger of going hungry, but I'm trying to build a nice savings account for emergencies and other reasons, and my spending is keeping me from putting as much aside as I feel like I should. It's odd, but it seems like it's easier to save if there's already money in the "don't touch" account.

What I'd like to do to stick closer to my budget is get cash at the beginning of each week, and then forget I have a debit card. I'm going to try to replace my bored evening shopping trips with yoga classes or a jog in the park by my house, in the hopes of achieving two goals: less spending and a bit of weight loss. I'm going to make grocery lists of things I need, shop after I've had dinner for the night, and stick to the lists. And I love the idea of creating a list of wardrobe 'needs' and 'wants' to help rein in spending! Very shortly I will go investigate all the websites recommended and see what I can come up with. I plan to work slowly into NSB in March, and go full on in April. Thanks for the motivation and inspiration!

The Shirt

Practically Family
OK - I didn't stick to it completely this weekend - but proud to say I only went over by $7 in non-essential stuff at Ikea. The only thing I have spent on retail this entire month was some roller blinds from Ikea that needed to be replaced for the house sale. Woohoo.

I actually cannot believe how ahead I am from most months by sticking to this. Will actually have a nice little chunk to throw into savings. Amazing how sticking to this can actually make a difference. One more week to go!

PS - CSA - always wanted to try that. Still contemplating splitting it with a friend.

Inky

One Too Many
Hi Gracie Lee and welcome to the Lounge and to NSB! I am really happy to have you on board and wish you good luck on your NSB journey. It gets a little easier each month :)

The Shirt
- what a great feeling it is to be able to save a bit, isn't it? And congrats for making it through Ikea only $7 over budget - that place can be a real money sucker - I'm glad we no longer have one near by (but I really need a second Billy bookcase, hahaha).

I hope all of you are having a good time with NSB - remember it's meant to help us become aware of our spending/why we spend/helping us pay attention to need vs. want/help live within our means/take us back to making do and doing without(and mending whenever you can!).

We're hitting the home stretch in March - how are you preparing to get through April? We are 3/4 of the way to saving the $2,083 for the painful tax payment on 4/15 - and I still managed to buy a few things I wanted by selling some things I no longer wanted. More of that for me in April is my plan!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou