Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well, It Looks Like I'm On Strike...

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Jovan said:
You know, I may just do that. I want you guys to win, so I won't see another movie in theatres, no matter how hard it may be, until this is resolved. You have my support.
Thank you so much! The sad FACT of this situation is that resolution will not come until the studios start feeling it in the pocket book! And EVERY little bit will help!

eightbore

Suspended
Decodence said:
I prefer free-market supply and demand bargaining, and on an individual basis. I don't need collective bargaining to pay my bills.

With all respect, the free market is ONLY actually "free" if there exists a symmetry of economic agents, otherwise it is coercive by nature. While a homogeneity of bargaining agents exists in theory (nice elegant mathematical models yielding "optimal" outcomes), in reality asymmetric economic and political power introduce wage distortions to the marketplace. Collective bargaining corrects these and creates a wage structure that is likely much closer to the theoretical "free market" outcome than what would be achieved otherwise.

If you want to see the trends in the size and influence of the middle class in American history, follow the parallel union strength and membership data. Further, you might thank a union member if you work in a safe place, the next time your spouse receives a paycheck not based upon her gender, the next time you only need to work 40 hours a week or the next time you don't see your kid working in a factory. The "free" market didn't bring about any of these things that we ALL enjoy and take for granted today. Frankly, YOUR OWN wages being what they are is probably a result of some union action somewhere in history or at least the implicit threat of the possibility that you could push for a union. Think about that when you enjoy spending your next paycheck. Oh, you might also think about how many times military force was used against labor in its history and how many people actually died to protect the labor rights that you are so quick to claim as individual in nature.

Best,

eightbore

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
eightbore said:
With all respect, the free market is ONLY actually "free" if there exists a symmetry of economic agents, otherwise it is coercive by nature. While a homogeneity of bargaining agents exists in theory (nice elegant mathematical models yielding "optimal" outcomes), in reality asymmetric economic and political power introduce wage distortions to the marketplace. Collective bargaining corrects these and creates a wage structure that is likely much closer to the theoretical "free market" outcome than what would be achieved otherwise.

If you want to see the trends in the size and influence of middle class in American history, follow the parallel union strength and membership data. Further, you might thank a union member if you work in a safe place, the next time your spouse receives a paycheck not based upon her gender, the next time you only need to work 40 hours a week or the next time you don't see your kid working in a factory. The "free" market didn't bring about any of these things that we ALL enjoy and take for granted today. Frankly, YOUR OWN wages being what they are is probably a result of some union action somewhere in history or at least the implicit threat of the possibility that you could push for a union. Think about that when you enjoy spending your next paycheck. Oh, you might also think about how many times military force was used against labor in its history and how many people actually died to protect the labor rights that you are so quick to claim as individual in nature.

Best,

eightbore
Sir, I am in awe of both your clarity of knowledge, and mastery of the language with which you impart. Quite simply, thank you.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good show.

Mr. Lucky said:
Another day on the line.
strike.jpg
Hang in there, my brother.

eightbore

Suspended
Lucky,

Thank you for the very high praise. We're both paid to put words on paper except I'm not lucky enough to work under a union contract (yet!). I can't be in California, so the least I can do is support your cause publicly. Frankly, I think too may people forget the notion that was often repeated by one of my business school professors..."The only unionized firms are the ones that REALLY REALLY deserve it".

Best,

eightbore

Baggers

Practically Family
J. M. Stovall said:
As a fellow creative you have my full support. Writers are the real brains of Hollywood, without them actors have nothing interesting to say.

I'm sorry I haven't seen this thread before now. J. M. Stovall's comment echoes my own feelings quite well. Keep fighting the good fight! :arated:

Cheers!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
OK, so all you got was a donut.:( A real bummer there.

But what is the strike all about?????

What are the union's requests?

What are the management's offer?

How far apart are the two?

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Ok, so, I'm slow to reply. What to wear, well, what not to wear....the guy standing behind you is a good indicator....sandles...don't wear sandles on a picket line. As a card carying member of the IBEW LU 357 I have done my duty as a good local hand and walked my picket lines, sandles are gonna kill you. Wear nice comy tennys!! Oy, what was he thinking??

And it mattes not if we think you are over paid...there are plenty of other union members here (in other unions of course) who think we electricians are over paid, we just have better negotiators than they had. Fight for your rights. Is more than the cash I am sure.

Remember..................... Unions, The People Who Brought You Weekends!!!
(and over time !!!!!!):p

How long?

What's your skinny on duration? How long before the DaddyWarBucks producer conglomerate realizes they are cooking their own goose?
(It seems as if 99 per cent of what they choose to produce is purile anyway). Admit to enjoying films on cable's IFC; otherwise it's TCM. Another lounger who will stay away from first run movie houses till a settlement - but does that mean a boycot of the comming "Crystal Skull" franchise entry?

Whatta Christmas it'll be in this industry town!
Caterers, services, heck, everyone connected to the industry will feel it to various extents - and the producers have deep OPEC-like pockets. How can they be reached? Sponsors of TV commercials ought to demand money back for spots which air between re-run shows - the audience numbers will not be as high as media salesmen promised.

Stregnth to all - I do believe as I understand it the WGA is in the right.

Wave back to the guy on the motorcycle honking, thumbs up!

ShortClara

One Too Many
From DHD: "Shame Them" Into Negotiating Again

From
Deadline Hollywood Daily:

Please tell anyone who's lost their job b/c of the strike to e-mail Nikki Finke to join this effort. It's not pro-any side, just a bid to get everyone back to the negotiating table.

"Shame Them" Into Negotiating Again

This email effort by a producer who asks me not to publish his name has spread like wild fire through not only the film tracking boards but also into the television world. (I've just been told that IATSE is doing something very similar):

"This might seem a little out there but I think it’s worth a shot. I’ve found myself really emotionally affected by the collateral damage this strike is taking (and so much more quickly than I think any of us anticipated) so I’m going to try and do something:

We’re collecting names of people who have lost their jobs (if someone doesn’t want to be on this list, of course please respect that), where they worked, and what their position was. Once it’s reached a decent number, this list will be paired with a letter to Patric Verrone and Nick Counter DEMANDING they get back into a room and resume negotiating immediately (and not emerge until there is an agreement) for the sake of those losing their jobs. They can negotiate while picketing continues and there’s no reason massive documents of whole new proposals have to be drawn up before they go back into a room and speak like adults. It will say NOTHING regarding the points of the strike. Just: Go. Back. To. Negotiating. All of these peoples’ jobs, rent, student loans, lives, have been destroyed.

The plan is to CC the letter and the list of names to Nikki Finke and hopefully Patrick Goldstein or the like after that. Each day as we get more names on the list, we’ll send the letter and list again. And again. Hopefully shaming them and making it impossible to ignore. Please forward this to anyone that might have lost their job and tell them they can email me directly. We’ll see what happens.

PS - to whoever was asking about why the writers are striking - please go to the WGA website (google) and read all about it. It's a good cause!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Mr. Lucky said:
There's one other thing that you might want to consider in support of us - turn of your TV (Gasp!) and stop going to the movies for a little while. Hurt them where it really matters - in the bottom line!

Do keep in mind, though, that a boycott of exhibitors will also hurt those of us who are trying desperately to scratch out a living in a business that tends to be very very difficult in even the best of the times. The folks who work in your neighborhood theatre are not your enemies in this -- and we don't have a union to protect us, either.

Just sayin'.

There are, however, some Warner DVDs I won't be buying until this is settled. Since the producers make far far more of their money these days in DVD sales than in theatrical exhibition, I might suggest that would be a more effective way of kicking them right in the wallet.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Sorry, everybody, for not getting back sooner. We had a HUGE rally at Fox yesterday. It was quite impressive, especially for this town. Solidarity is a wonderful thing.

Lincsong - check this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ55Ir2jCxk - out for the answers as to WHY.

Lizzie - I understand your concerns. And, as a small exhibitor, I don't think you have much to worry about - that is until 2009 when all the crap written in a hurry before the strike comes out. I guess just being more vigilant in what is watched and what movies you see can help.

My favorite chant of yesterday - What do we want? RESIDUALS! When do we want 'em? LATER.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Mr. Lucky said:
Well, I walked the line at NBC Burbank today and there was a feeling of hope and commaradery among those there and great support from those going by - the horns were a blarin'. For the morning shift Jay Leno came out in support, and with donuts!

If you see my friend Jon Stark on the line - tell him Brian Sheridan said "Hello!"

He sent me a picture of the strikers getting donuts from Jay.

I told Jon I will refuse to watch any of the substituion crap the networks will throw on during the strike. Who needs more reality shows that are not reality anyway? And Game Shows? There hasn't been a good one since "Match Game 76" - and it was because that show had WRITERS!

Jovan

Suspended
LizzieMaine said:
Do keep in mind, though, that a boycott of exhibitors will also hurt those of us who are trying desperately to scratch out a living in a business that tends to be very very difficult in even the best of the times. The folks who work in your neighborhood theatre are not your enemies in this -- and we don't have a union to protect us, either.

Just sayin'.

There are, however, some Warner DVDs I won't be buying until this is settled. Since the producers make far far more of their money these days in DVD sales than in theatrical exhibition, I might suggest that would be a more effective way of kicking them right in the wallet.
I haven't bought any DVDs in quite a while... so that isn't hard. Nor do I rent, I always check them out from the library.

You work at a theatre?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko