Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well, style you can not buy, style must have

Gav

Practically Family
i think you may be confusing knowledgeable with opinionated there in some cases

Stand By

One Too Many
Hi Panheadfan, I hope you do not go back to a "readers position". Your post has been the catalyst for what has turned out to be a great thread, funny, thought provoking and quite informative. I know it can be a little intimidating posting as there are some very knowledgeable and articulate folks here who some times take things a little too seriously. You have certainly made me think if I really have style (whatever that means?) or just a dork in an expensive leather jacket! Thanks again.

I agree, Mark. People contributing to threads is the lifeblood of any forum and I hope you do continue to contribute, Panheadfan.
And I had to smile at your "Dork in a leather jacket" comment. At the party, I was rather worried that someone was going to ask me what I did in my spare time. Spare time. I have so little of it these days - I've never been busier in my whole life - but in contrast to the drinking, dining, travelling and partying and whatever else the others at the party clearly do, I would have been honest and said that when I get the chance, I'm enjoying building a dreadful model of a Cyberman (Doctor Who) that is proving to be a complete challenge to make right but is looking terrific so far. Not a very hip and sexy an answer, I know, and thankfully nobody asked ... LOL!!!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks to the OP for clearing up his intent. I'll admit, I reacted to it purely because this is one of the "nicest" places on the web.

Very little snark, none of the SF bitchiness, it really is an oasis and I didn't like to see what appeared to be that attitude appearing here.

From my perspective leather jackets are my casual wear. I wear a suit Monday to Friday. So on weekends during the cooler months it's jeans, T-shirt or Henley and usually a leather jacket. That's stylish enough for me. [emoji6]

I'm just thankful to the members that do regularly contribute with pictures, it can be a pain to take pictures by yourself like many of us do. I know when I usually take them, I'm just lounging at home with a little free time and don't really bother to put on "a stylish outfit".

Mark

Practically Family
I agree, Mark. People contributing to threads is the lifeblood of any forum and I hope you do continue to contribute, Panheadfan.
And I had to smile at your "Dork in a leather jacket" comment. At the party, I was rather worried that someone was going to ask me what I did in my spare time. Spare time. I have so little of it these days - I've never been busier in my whole life - but in contrast to the drinking, dining, travelling and partying and whatever else the others at the party clearly do, I would have been honest and said that when I get the chance, I'm enjoying building a dreadful model of a Cyberman (Doctor Who) that is proving to be a complete challenge to make right but is looking terrific so far. Not a very hip and sexy an answer, I know, and thankfully nobody asked ... LOL!!!
That's funny, would love to have seen the expression on their faces if they had of asked you. I'm the same, fairly simple straight forward life style, no swanky parties for me, not that I'd want to go to one anyway.
p.s I love Dr Who, lookin forward to the Christmas special, although not mad ken on the new Dr. But early days yet I guess.

Superfluous

Edit: @Superfluous As I said before, I really appreciate your activity at this forum (posts, pics etc.) but sadly I have to say: Members like you are also Gravediggers for others... if they feel affronted, they flail around (verbal)... and who knows maybe you are debating with yourself in this forum in future :( ... I know, I'm a sissy... (self-ironic).

My apologies if I crossed the line. I (incorrectly) assumed that your comment was directed at me and my recently posted pre-washed jeans, and I responded accordingly. I all too often (incorrectly) assume that the world orbits around me and I am (or should be) the sole topic of conversation. I am admittedly a tad weary of this issue, as it has caused me to disengage from another (otherwise great) forum that stridently opposes pre-washed jeans.

Ps: I lived in St. Gallen for six months and have a great fondness for Switzerland.

AdeeC

Practically Family
IMG_0004.JPG
IF one has real class and style they can wear anything.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
My apologies if I crossed the line. I (incorrectly) assumed that your comment was directed at me and my recently posted pre-washed jeans, and I responded accordingly. I all too often (incorrectly) assume that the world orbits around me and I am (or should be) the sole topic of conversation. I am admittedly a tad weary of this issue, as it has caused me to disengage from another (otherwise great) forum that stridently opposes pre-washed jeans.

Ps: I lived in St. Gallen for six months and have a great fondness for Switzerland.

@Superfluous thank you for your clarification, it has class :) Cool... St. Gallen is a nice city...

bn1966

The last couple of posts here are precisely the reason I keep coming back to TFL. Ironically, if this were a real bar and we all had our pints of ale, most these misunderstandings would be positively cleared in a matter of minutes rather than pages.

& then we'd all stagger off for a Kebab....

58panheadfan

One Too Many
You have certainly made me think if I really have style (whatever that means?) or just a dork in an expensive leather jacket! Thanks again.

I'm happy how this thread turned out... @Mark nailed it... this was my original intention to start this thread... afterwards regarded I started it in a "wrong language thing"... but all the posts have helped to clarify it :)

CBI

One Too Many
Whatever the OP’s intention, a fun thread for sure. Lots of opportunities to get people’s panties in a wad or take it more tongue and cheek as it was probably really intended. I started a much less successful sort of opposite thread in the general clothing section, basically, for the vintage nerds, what modern clothing can you NOT live without. Very tongue in cheek yet a little vague on purpose.

A decade plus of trying to make vintage work for me………..it just doesn’t but I do love seeing old clothes in old time pics. I sure wish I had spent less (time and $) on all this stuff over the years but I finally figured it out, for me anyway. My experience (just for me) is that most of the really high end heritage clothing have not been worth it. Not as comfortable and an awkward fit. I also question how well they really emulate original clothing which frequently was not that well made. The extreme examples are on denimbro where guys spend butt-loads on heritage clothing and look either forced or just plain ridiculous but if they love it, more power to them!

Its all fun but it’s just clothing and hopefully a fun……….affordable hobby. As long as it stays a hobby and not too serious, super. I do love my high-end leather repro flight jackets and originals. I do applaud quality craftsmanship in clothing which influences pricing of course.

I really do prefer wearing a quarter zip fleece top and 20 dollar stretch jeans and killer WW2 boondocker boots with my high-end A-2 jacket. It makes it all comfortable for me. I can do the nerdy looking high-end “dark” selvedge denim jeans and heavy vintage button-down shirt but it’s just not as comfortable and can look outdated.

Again, to each his own, just clothes!

This is seriously the best thread we've had in a long while! It's just so really cool to learn so much about you guys.

Just wanna add that same as CBI, I too have tried to make vintage work... And failed miserably. For the exact same reason and the one I've mentioned earlier; I was always afraid it might come off forced and too pose-y. When I did get it right, I felt like I was cosplaying and to make things worse, whenever I saw someone else - and there is quite a lively scene here with people doing a brilliant job of emulating the 50's look, not just with clothes but haircuts, glasses, everything - I'd always feel like I was competing or that I should be doing a better job at it and that irked me to no end. I don't know why, really, I'm just weird like that... Same as when I used to belong to a shitty motorcycle club, they'd all wear leather jackets, cut-offs with club insignias, patches and all that crap and even though it was seemingly closely related to the style I am into, I never wanted to prance around looking like an extra from Wild Hogs.

So I'll just stay somewhere in between. . .

In any case, I really admire and am impressed with all the guys and girls who are into the heritage scene 'cause I know how much work and effort it takes to nail the look. Not to mention money. But yes, it's just something I cannot get into so I won't try ever again and yeah, I haven't spent nearly as much on this stuff and retrospectively I'm really glad I didn't because it would be pointless. Still though, my love for vintage clothing (not just jackets, of course) remained the same even after all these years with no signs of diminishing so I'll continue to be utterly amazed with vintage clothes and especially leather jackets.

Stand By

One Too Many
That's funny, would love to have seen the expression on their faces if they had of asked you. I'm the same, fairly simple straight forward life style, no swanky parties for me, not that I'd want to go to one anyway.
p.s I love Dr Who, lookin forward to the Christmas special, although not mad ken on the new Dr. But early days yet I guess.

The expression of an attractive young lady's eyes glazing over first with confusion then turning in to boredom, you mean? Nah. I can live without that. LOL!
But I was very glad to be there and I know you'd have loved the party too, as much as you think you may prefer otherwise!! Trust me. It's not my typical scene at all either, but there's nothing not to enjoy and savour. It was a treat and a half.
And for me, the last season of Who was simply dire and unforgivably bad on so many fronts (I blame Moffat and the Beeb, not the actors) - so much so that I won't be watching the next one. Suffice to say that if you knew me, you'd know that says volumes. Very sad. But I have a pre-order in for Power of the Daleks! Now that's hugely appealing!

I'm glad this thread has continued and any accidentally ruffled feathers got the chance to get smoothed out and all's well that ends well. Nice.

And for me, the last season of Who was simply dire and unforgivably bad on so many fronts (I blame Moffat and the Beeb, not the actors) - so much so that I won't be watching the next one. Suffice to say that if you knew me, you'd know that says volumes. Very sad. But I have a pre-order in for Power of the Daleks! Now that's hugely appealing!

I started watching Who when Tennant was the Doctor but the show became good to me with Eccelston. I don't know, his episodes seemed to have weight. He was just... cool and relevant and so when Tenant took over, I wasn't sure whether to cringe or enjoy it. When the last Tennant season ended, I just couldn't get back into the show. It's actually too horrible even though I was crazy about it when it was on. But that's the case with every television series. Except for the Sopranos. Retrospectively, that was literally the only good thing I watched on the telly.

Superfluous

So I'll just stay somewhere in between. . .

Exactly! I borrow some of the work wear aesthetic, blend in a bit of moto, mix some 60s and 70s casual, add some outdoorsman, infuse some beachwear, and toss in some contemporary touches. The end result is a hodge-podge of disconnected styles that, while lacking clear definition or consistency, is wonderfully comfortable and, most importantly, all mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy