Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well, style you can not buy, style must have

58panheadfan

One Too Many
What always surprise me: There are so many people in this forum who are very knowledgable, wearing beautiful (leather) jackets but unfortunately have no style! Style don't has to be expensive, but wearing a nice leather jacket from a top manufacturer with, i.e., cheap department store stone washed jeans or shirt is a no go (for me)... but as said in titel: You can not buy style!

Last edited:

Bigger Don

Practically Family
You can buy style, you can even buy chic but what you can't buy is class. You either have it or you don't. We are all free to think that others have no style but if you have class, you keep it to yourself.
Ahh...same sentiment, different nuance of words. One may buy what is stylish and classy. Having style and class come from within.

I'm curious too, OP. How are we supposed to dress?

Style is an expression, it's about looking good in whatever you chose to wear. Fancy clothes have little to do with it though there's of course time and place for everything.
Case in point, this forum. Many people here try to emulate the look of a working man of the past era who definitely didn't have a single piece of clothing that was, at a time, considered to be made by a top manufacturer and those people sure as hell weren't considered stylish. Don't forget that these cheap department store jeans were literally the only kind that existed back then.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
What always surprise me: There are so many people in this forum who are very knowledgable, wearing beautiful (leather) jackets but unfortunately have no style! Style don't has to be expensive, but wearing a nice leather jacket from a top manufacturer with, i.e., cheap department store stone washed jeans or shirt is a no go (for me)... but as said in titel: You can not buy style!

Well, your view is subjective - a person's age, income and aspirations play a key role. I'm sure some of the better dressed folk here would think I look like a bum most of the time. Sure, I've worn $800 jackets with $25 Wrangler jeans. Doesn't worry me.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm currently wearing these bad boys! Might stick my Irvin on & go for a stroll :)

image.jpg

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
Juicy Thread! Style is not what you wear but how you wear it with a bit of class thrown in. I've seen those of means that wear rather expensive apparel and they don't look any better than the technician that comes to my house to service my heat pump. Wearing what looks good on you and makes you feel good about your look is all that matters. There are almost as many styles as there are fingerprints!

Class comes from within and can't be bought at any price. Taste, on the other hand, is part style and class with sufficient resources to accomplish the look that works for you best!

willyto

One Too Many
I get what OP is saying. Basically there's people who spend a lot of money on leather jackets and worry about how they fit so they are flattering but then don't pay the same attention to the other garments they wear. That is suprising and sometimes I ask myself why does that happen.

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
The fact that a mid aged man (like myself) would wear an A2 or moto style jacket implies a sense of style in and of itself. At my sons soccer matches I often look at the dads in their sea of polar fleece, baggy, overly washed jeans and logo baseball caps and wonder if I am the one who has it wrong.
Style can be very very simple. A dash of confidence, a hint of swagger, a twist of individuality and for gods sake man get a pair of jeans that fit (kidding, kinda)...

I think it probably has to do with the level of interest one has...To me Levi's are just fine. I have some ironhearts too but I just don't put that much thought into denims...I just don't care that much. I'm also perfectly content in a hoody and a t-shirt with a pair of chucks. Putting too much thought into what you are wearing, IMHO, moves away from actually being stylish and more toward being fashionable. It's a less organic process to meticulously plan every single detail of what you're wearing. More akin to cosplay than just being stylish. Style flows, fashion is forced...

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
Ton nailed it. I had a pretty serious look at my "look" when i turned 40. I had been working in "an office" environment for about 18 years but had been out of it and working in my wood shop for about 4 at that point in time. I literally donated 90% of my wardrobe and started over. As a "worker" i adopted a simple "vintage" workwear approach. Selvedge denim, simple buttondown shirts and or t shirts, well made boots that could (and have) be re soled.

I actually read a (mostly picture) book by Hilfiger (whos clothes I dont wear) that described American styles evolution. It made me realize I already had much of that stuff/style throughout my life. A lot depends on where you grow up/go to school etc. I went to prep school in the Bronx so I had always maintained a bit of "prep" because hell I earned it. With a few notable exeptions I dont spend a lot on clothes, thrift shops yield plenty of treasures for me.

Style is obviously objective and the OP might consider my aesthetic horrible but it works for me and under most "casual" occasions I feel like the most stylish dad at the match!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
For me, style is way at the bottom of the list of this jacket thing and/or non-existent. If you're "trying" to cultivate style, you're doing it wrong. Be yourself. Of course there are limitations to that and everyone is in some way pulled toward the concept of style. But it shouldn't be this perpetual ambitition. True style will blossom on its own accord. Light your piano on fire. Marry your cousin. Be yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy