Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Went Fishin'...too

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I didn't want to horn in on Paddys thread 'cause fly fishing in Scotland is a bit more refined and genteel than the kind of fishing seen here...but, like Paddy, I recently went fishing, too.

Two friends and I went Friday evening, after work...our target species, red drum. These large, amber fish are now moving from the ocean into our local sounds to spawn. Their numbers are still small , but in the days surrounding the full moon in September, there will be thousands of them in our waters. It was a beautiful night. The wind was blowing 8 to 10 knots from the southeast, so Pamlico Sound was a tad rough. No worries, though. There was a full moon and distant thunderstorms lit up the horizon like green and yellow fireworks. It really was a classic late-summer night on the water.

I caught this twenty-five pounder just before dark. Believe it or not, this is a small red drum. Later in the evening, my friend boated a forty pound fish. By Septhember, fifty pound fish will not be unusual. We didn't keep them. Danny, Tommy and I are strictly catch and release and, anyhow, it would be illegal to keep a red drum this size. We use only barbless circle hooks and we net the caught fish long before they are exhausted. At the end of the evening, we're happy 'cause we don't have to clean fish, and the fish are no worse for the wear.

IMG_01852.jpg

AF

Last edited:

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
That's a nice fish. I bet that would be a blast with some light to medium tackle. I'd sure love to visit the NC Outerbanks and try the fishing there. I've fished the Florida Keys, but would like to head a little farther up the coast and give it a try sometime. We've discussed renting one of those big houses on the water and taking the whole extended family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21