Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Went on holidays and all I got was this plastic wrapped Spitfire!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You heard it right! I've bagged myself a full size replica Spitfire (see photo). This crazy little mind of mine realised that where I was staying in Norfolk 'happened to be' just an hour's drive from the company that built the repro full-scale replicas of Spitfires and Hurricanes for the movies, Pearl Harbor and Dark Blue World. Could Paddy pass up this opportunity? of course not!!
So gave them a ring, I think they got the idea that I was enthusiastic (!!!) and I was invited down. Anyway, I'm getting a 'loan' of this £30k beauty, all gift wrapped for me (as you can see!!) for a wee photoshoot idea I have spinning in this vintage mind of mine. Always the opportunist when it comes along, grab it. Just need big hands to grab this baby, but she is lovely and has been moulded off an original (rivets..et al).

My cam batteries went dead after this first shot (think all the electricity from my enthusiasm just short circuited things around me!! light bulbs go "POP!!!"...etc).

Ideally, I want a squadron of these beauts lined up on a grass strip with the BoB boys in deck chairs ..etc, waiting for the scramble bell....(nice photo op!)

NorfolkHoliday2006.jpg

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well spit fire howdy do!!!...

Is there a cockpit in that bird Paddy? I could sit in there all day playing dogfight! Do take more photos (the lunk can afford a Spitfire but not batteries for his camera! Go figure! ;) )

Can we take that as in invitation to come visit and sit in your 'Spit' for a photo!!??

-dixon cannon

Tony in Tarzana

Naah, I think it's just for static display. About the coolest static display around, I might add.

A full-size flyable replica would be nice, but Merlins are a wee bit hard to find these days, and not much else would really work.

I ought to replicate one of my Dad's WWII era suits as a re-enactor if I make it across the pond in the near future.

RogerSpitfireCloseup02.jpg

After all, if John Rhys-Davies can play a dwarf, I could play my ol' pop with some camera tricks.

Daisy Buchanan

That is sooooo cooooool!! I can't wait to see the photos. You are a lucky man. Now, did you choose a vacation and then say "oh wow, what a surprise, the static plane factory is only an hour away" "wow, I didn't even realize that, what a coincidence".......

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Tony in Tarzana said:
Naah, I think it's just for static display. About the coolest static display around, I might add.

A full-size flyable replica would be nice, but Merlins are a wee bit hard to find these days, and not much else would really work.

I ought to replicate one of my Dad's WWII era suits as a re-enactor if I make it across the pond in the near future.

RogerSpitfireCloseup02.jpg

After all, if John Rhys-Davies can play a dwarf, I could play my ol' pop with some camera tricks.

Great picture! And who said nobody had beards in the Golden era!

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Now all you need is a replica of a Stuka.

You could hang them by ropes as if they’re dog fighting (the way kids hang model planes in their rooms).

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Tony in Tarzana said:
Well, to be sporting, maybe a Bf-109E. Not much of a contest with a Stuka. lol

Can we make it an FW-190? I can fit in an FW-190!

The only way you'll get me into a Bf-109 is with a shoehorn and a gallon of vaseline!!!

desertweasel

New in Town
YO-T?

Looks like she's a Canadian, YO was the code for 401 RCAF, she would have been referred to as 'T for Tommy'... alas not a very feminine name for such a goddess ;)

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Too cool!

My Dad made a "fighter" for me to play in when I was a little kid(it was supposed to be an F4U Corsair) and it had an old tennis racquet handle for a joystick and some gauges mounted in it. It was just a wooden box, really;)

Neat thing was he wired a "trigger" to the joystick so when I "fired" by pressing the button a machine gun noise was created. Dad was quite handy like that. I loved playing fighter pilot lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran