Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Were fedoras worn during WW1?

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Speedster said:
09553r.jpg

The New York Times, September 13, 1911 (other sources states that the drive took place on April 23, 1911 [huh]):

BURMAN MAKES WORLD'S RECORD

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archiv...A1531E233A25750C0A96F9C946096D6CF&oref=slogin

Could be from that event...

A few other shots of the car (and hats/crown):

1909-Blitzen-Benz-1909-3-1024x768.jpg

1909-Blitzen-Benz-1909-1280x960.jpg

1909-Blitzen-Benz-May-29-1911-Bob-B.jpg

That's it alright!

I don't see our Fedora wearing friend showing up again however.

That's interesting. The advertising copy provided above shows that a new "soft hat" design was coming in about 1908. In this 1911 scene (the LoC photo linked in above), one fellow is wearing a Fedora. I guess this would suggest that perhaps the modern Fedora dates to about 1908, with some closely associated styles being around at the same time, but they hadn't really caught on yet, and wouldn't for about another decade after these photos.

I wonder what sparked the sudden increase in Fedoras in the 20s? Perhaps they just looked more modern?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Here we go again- back to the dubious "Fedora facts":

"The actual name ‘Fedora’ came about due to a stage play which was running in 1882. The main character, Princess Fedora Romazova, wore a hat just like it, thus it became known as a Fedora."

"The term fedora was in use as early as 1891.

Beginning in the 20th century, the fedora came into use as an upper-class clothing accessory. Hats that resemble the soft felt version are often called fedoras even if they are made of straw or twill.

Fedoras did not start to become widespread until the late 1910s
. Its popularity soared and eventually it eclipsed the similar-looking Homburg by the 1930s."

I guess it took a while for the new, soft hats to become popular.
Probably seemed more "casual" to a lot of folks, compared to the Bowlers, Derbies, Homburgs, etc.

B
T

Pat_H

A-List Customer
BellyTank said:
Here we go again- back to the dubious "Fedora facts":

"The actual name ‘Fedora’ came about due to a stage play which was running in 1882. The main character, Princess Fedora Romazova, wore a hat just like it, thus it became known as a Fedora."

"The term fedora was in use as early as 1891.

Beginning in the 20th century, the fedora came into use as an upper-class clothing accessory. Hats that resemble the soft felt version are often called fedoras even if they are made of straw or twill.

Fedoras did not start to become widespread until the late 1910s
. Its popularity soared and eventually it eclipsed the similar-looking Homburg by the 1930s."

I guess it took a while for the new, soft hats to become popular.
Probably seemed more "casual" to a lot of folks, compared to the Bowlers, Derbies, Homburgs, etc.

B
T

I think that's pretty much exactly what the thread has concluded, with some interesting photo examples having been provided. But it's nice to have it summarized!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
There I was, yesterday, just home from a wedding- flicked on the TV and flicking through the channels.
Swedish TV, "The Forsyte Saga"- hats, Fedoras!

These guys were shooting and talking about signing up to fight in the Boer War,
which would put this at about 1899/1900.

Not exactly high quality screenshots but I had my camera out...

Look at the hats:

Forsyte6.jpg

Forsyte5.jpg

Forsyte4.jpg

Forsyte3.jpg

Forsyte2.jpg

Forsyte1.jpg

I guess the costuming in this British TV miniseries would be quite accurate.
So there we go- 1899 and some "Fedoras".

I really like these earlier styles and up into the '30s- '40s and up just doesn't really do it for me.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran