Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Were fedoras worn during WW1?

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Brad Bowers said:
Here is an advertisement I recently added to my collection.

1908C-KAd.jpg

This is a full-page ad, and very colorful by advertising standards back then. The hat is boldly styled, similar to the famous photo of Capone. It features side creases instead of a front pinch, but still looks strikingly like what we think of as a fedora.

The year?

Wow! Great image!

The side creases seem pretty common on the photos of the early (proto?) fedoras I've run across. This hat looks like a Fedora to me, as do they. If they aren't they're darn close.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Brad Bowers said:
Here is an advertisement I recently added to my collection.

1908C-KAd.jpg

This is a full-page ad, and very colorful by advertising standards back then. The hat is boldly styled, similar to the famous photo of Capone. It features side creases instead of a front pinch, but still looks strikingly like what we think of as a fedora.

The year?

Compare it to the typical Crofut & Knapp from 1906, which is also typical of most hat companies' ads of the time:

CKDerby1906.jpg

Based on my research so far, I have to attribute this new hat styling and marketing to John Cavanagh, GM and VP of C&K at this time. It was his suggestion to reintroduce soft felt hats in 1906. His handiwork is seen all over this ad.

I find it interesting that Cavanagh, who was such a forward-looking innovator and visionary when it came to C&K and Dobbs hats, held his own baby brand, Cavanagh Hats, in a kind of time warp, almost unchanging and very conservative, from 1928 until the early- to mid-1950s, after he had retired from the company. Granted, his retailing concept of an exclusive store raised the bar that no company ever matched, but it's still funny.

Brad

On soft hats, the author of The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt notes Roosevelt's soft "campaign hat" being noted at the 1900 GOP Convention. That hat wasn't really a campaign hat, but a sort of cowboy hat, but which also resembled the Army's campaign hat at the time. This was likely worn to recall TR's recent Army service, as well as his ranching connections.

Anyhow, I note that, as that isn't far off in time from this, and the fact that he was wearing a soft hat was apparently notable for the time.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
That's quite a variety of styles.
There's everything from top hat to fedora in that photo.

I also really like the one guy's dimples.;)

Do you know what's going on there? It looks like the guy in the middle is probably a politician, the guy on the left is labor (it looks like he's in uniform), and the guy on the right is management.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
That's Charlie Ebbets, president of the Brooklyn Dodgers. The McKeevers were his partners. Wilbert Robinson was the Dadger manager at the time.
Hard to know what this shot represents, but here's an article from a 1915 New York Times that presumably describes a pre season game at Ebbetts Field.
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archiv...71238E633A25753C1A9629C946496D6CF&oref=slogin
This story is a great example of sports writing from that era. Quite amusing. And it describes a double steal by the Yankees: runner at first steals second, while the runner at third steals home!

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Lefty said:
That's quite a variety of styles.
There's everything from top hat to fedora in that photo.

I also really like the one guy's dimples.;)

Do you know what's going on there? It looks like the guy in the middle is probably a politician, the guy on the left is labor (it looks like he's in uniform), and the guy on the right is management.

Great avatar photo. What's the details behind it?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic: It's Alexander (Aleksandr) Rodchenko, an avant-garde painter, sculptor, photographer, metal smith, furniture and clothing designer, etc. who headed up the Russian Constructivist art movement. He's influenced the way I view nearly everything. Though I don't agree with any of his political views (he was a hard-line commie if there ever was one), it was his idea that a skilled artist can find a way to look at anything in a new way. His work can be found in most major museums, including MOMA.

Two of my prized possessions are photos from his original negatives.

Pat_H said:
Great avatar photo. What's the details behind it?

Pat_H

A-List Customer
dhermann1 said:
That's Charlie Ebbets, president of the Brooklyn Dodgers. The McKeevers were his partners. Wilbert Robinson was the Dadger manager at the time.
Hard to know what this shot represents, but here's an article from a 1915 New York Times that presumably describes a pre season game at Ebbetts Field.
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archiv...71238E633A25753C1A9629C946496D6CF&oref=slogin
This story is a great example of sports writing from that era. Quite amusing. And it describes a double steal by the Yankees: runner at first steal second, while the runner at third steals home!

And what's the story behind this great Avatar photo?

Pat_H

A-List Customer
deanglen said:
If you follow this link to this baseball fan forum and peruse the photo galleries, like I have, you will find excellent hat pictures, (yes, many basball caps), but lots of fedoras on the heads of some of the star players from the early to mid twentieth century. It will take some persistence, but it's worth it.:

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=40306

dean

Wow, great collection of baseball photos.

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
well,
this fedora wearer is more well known for his role in WWII,
but he was a soldier in the War to End all Wars too. No Idea when these photos were taken but probably during or just before the second.

hitlerraras188.jpg

hitlerraras190.jpg

hitlerraras146.jpg

hitlerraras187.jpg

I wonder if he picked it up off the streets at a book burning, where it may have been dropped by some passing archaeologist?

Speedster

Practically Family
Pat_H said:
This photo is indicated as having been taken between 1910 and 1915 by the Library of Congress:

http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/ggbain/09500/09553r.jpg

That's a Fedora. So they were around then, I think we'd have to agree.

09553r.jpg

The New York Times, September 13, 1911 (other sources states that the drive took place on April 23, 1911 [huh]):

BURMAN MAKES WORLD'S RECORD

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archiv...A1531E233A25750C0A96F9C946096D6CF&oref=slogin

Could be from that event...

A few other shots of the car (and hats/crown):

1909-Blitzen-Benz-1909-3-1024x768.jpg

1909-Blitzen-Benz-1909-1280x960.jpg

1909-Blitzen-Benz-May-29-1911-Bob-B.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
ADHD librarian said:
well,
this fedora wearer is more well known for his role in WWII,
but he was a soldier in the War to End all Wars too. No Idea when these photos were taken but probably during or just before the second.

hitlerraras190.jpg

I wonder if he picked it up off the streets at a book burning, where it may have been dropped by some passing archaeologist?[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]"Hey, nice hat! I bet ya buy a hat like that and ya get a free bowl of soup!"
(Oh,he,he,...looks good on you though!)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran