Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here's the new sweat and liner. These are Leko products. Not the best sweat, but it will do for a while, until I buy a gross of good ones. The main issue I have with it is that the leather is weak and always tears at the bottom stitches where the sweat is cut & sewn back together, and therefore always requires extra stitching to hold it together there.

View attachment 3571

View attachment 3573

Anyway, this is ready for a hatband. Here's the one I made from a bridle for my brother's fishing style hat, made from a stripped down Blltmore I bought at an antique store for $5.00. I'm thinking about making another for this hat:

View attachment 3574

View attachment 3575
Nice!...

frussell

One Too Many
Tom - most of my cowboy hats end up creased like that. They start out in a rancher or "Gus" crease, and rain and wear eventually change them to something like the arena. Looks good. Frank

Tom - most of my cowboy hats end up creased like that. They start out in a rancher or "Gus" crease, and rain and wear eventually change them to something like the arena. Looks good. Frank

Thanks Frank. I bought 3 vintage Open Roads from this lady who got them in an estate sale from this one old timer. All 3 had this type crease & tho I changed those hats, I found myself doing others with it. I like long side dents & this is a little less "factory pressed" than a cattleman/alpine crease. Seems to straddle the fence somewhat...

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 3583

This is all right for a little kid who wants a hat like dad's, but no gent wants to wear something like this.

Here's one the ladies at Paul's in SF did for him, from an old Champ (cost $.99 for the hat - nasty & greasy, I cleaned it before having them resize it; $150.00 for labor - I didn't realize it would be so expensive & walked away a little embarrassed, which is why I made the other one myself).
Paul's does good work, but they are WAY overpriced.

John Galt

Vendor
I've had some great work done there. The mini Champ they did is sublime, albeit shockingly expensive. Unfortunately, I've also had an inferior ribbon & wrong bow placed on a 100 year old bowler, and the sweatband in the same hat coming loose before I got it back to the car. That's when I started making repairs myself. Sewed both back on properly - still need to replace that cheap ribbon with a proper vintage grosgrain.

John Galt

Vendor
Bump, with a 1950's-60's era Bulldogger by The Moore Hat Company of Lawton, Okla. This was a style that was widely copied, but was reportedly originated in this country by TMC, which was issued a patent.

y4ygasu4.jpg

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Recreased my Bandera 25 in my trademark "Shasta Peaks" crease & added a hatband made from a bridle I purchased for a few bucks at a horse rescue thrift shop. I rarely wore it the other way. The high crown looks good like this, I think. Maybe this one should be called Vermont, or "Green Mountain."

uvehenuh.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Bump ,with a new Bandera I picked up for an amazing $9.99 in a BIN. This one is not a 25 like the green one, and the difference in the quality of the felt is significant, but it is a nearly mint iconic 1950's high crown Bandera "Teton." I may just leave this one the way it is.

aja6esed.jpg

ysu2asu2.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
How is the felt on thise bandera hats?

The 25 is very nice. The Teton is a 50's hat, but the felt is probably not any better than a modern 3x Resistol. It's also pretty stiff. I will say I was a bit disappointed with it after handling the 25. The fit is good though, and I like the high crown. It's a bit of a time capsule though, which is cool. I did, however, see an octogenarian gent wearing one just like it in San Francisco the other day.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Nice one John G......Just got my new Western today. It's a "Sherwood Saddlery". It originally came with a Cattleman's crease but I changed it out to a C-crown crease. The felt on this hat is very dense. There's nothing on the sweat or liner that indicates if it's a 7X, 10X etc...but one thing's for sure, this hat is much more dense than my 7X Beaver Western, and my 7X is dense! My 7X Bradford and my 4X OR are floppy compared to this hat. I haven't handled anything as dense....

New Cowboy Hat 01.jpg

Sherwood Saddlery 05.jpg

Sherwood Saddlery 04.jpg

Sherwood Saddlery 03.jpg

Sherwood Saddlery 01.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Nice one John G......Just got my new Western today. It's a "Sherwood Saddlery". It originally came with a Cattleman's crease but I changed it out to a C-crown crease. The felt on this hat is very dense. There's nothing on the sweat or liner that indicates if it's a 7X, 10X etc...but one thing's for sure, this hat is much more dense than my 7X Beaver Western, and my 7X is dense! My 7X Bradford and my 4X OR are floppy compared to this hat. I haven't handled anything as dense....

That's a nice one Terry, and it sounds like you got a great deal. You might have a hard time deciding whether to convert that one, huh?

Lotsahats

One Too Many
T Jones, I vote for keeping that C-crown. Did you do that by hand? It looks so sharp.

Joao, love that wide brim!

A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou